• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

An actual new 2 Stroke Yamaha Snowmobile Engine (UPDATED)

K

KingofSweden

Jan 1, 2011
Sweden
You did you just don't know it, so what now you're a medical physician. Symptoms include an excessive need for admiration, disregard for others' feelings, an inability to handle any criticism, and a sense of entitlement. Sounds like you have a lack of information to make a diagnosis. Nice try though. I'll give you a better diagnosis its called sarcasm.

Guys, get a room... Or something. Or at least take your discussion via mail, you are not really contributing to this thread.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Also, keep in mind that the HDPI 200 HP outboard is about 450 lbs and it is a V6. In the mountain segment I think that is just a tad over target weight....especially when you still have to wrap a chassis around it.

Yes, but that is the entire package, drivetrain, bracketry, cowlings etc.
I don't know weight of engine itself, but in V6 configuration it would never be close to our acceptability.
As big as Yamaha is, they are at a decade disadvantage regarding designing a reliable snowmobile engine that will comparable in weight to their peers.
Hope I am very wrong!

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Not to mention their are a couple of companies out there that have a focus and division dedicated just to the mtn segment and have been making huge inovative improvement over the last 5-6 years. I just cant see a company that has not had much focus in this area coming out with a game changer all of the sudden. Could be wrong.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Yes, but that is the entire package, drivetrain, bracketry, cowlings etc.
I don't know weight of engine itself, but in V6 configuration it would never be close to our acceptability.
As big as Yamaha is, they are at a decade disadvantage regarding designing a reliable snowmobile engine that will comparable in weight to their peers.
Hope I am very wrong!

The 200 HP ETEC is the same weight. So I wouldn't even compare a outboard to a snowmobile engine. I would guess 4 cylinder based on the R1 engine. 200 hp naturally aspirated. This is the answer to the fact that ski doo will have a 1200 supercharged engine at 250 hp. Of course this is all trail sled.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Not to mention their are a couple of companies out there that have a focus and division dedicated just to the mtn segment and have been making huge inovative improvement over the last 5-6 years. I just cant see a company that has not had much focus in this area coming out with a game changer all of the sudden. Could be wrong.

The last several years I've been thinking the same thing, but look at the new YXZ that they dropped in the sport UTV market. I think it'd be awesome to see a game changing sled from Yamaha for the first time in a long time.

And side note, someone was telling me Yamaha introduced some 2 stroke motorcycles this year

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
My thoughts have been the same the past few years.

Yamaha doesn't NEED to be in the snowmobile industry but the relationship with AC showed they WANT to be in it.

Since 2006 Yamaha has had the 4 stroke market locked up. If you wanted a high mileage trail sled with a smooth strong motor that was the sled to get. The mountain segment was very limited as most didn't want something that heavy unless doing point and shoot chute runs. I had an APEX LTX for a while to use in the powder here in the midwest. It was unreal how nimble it felt but half way through the day you felt the extra weight of the machine. With Yamaha's current line up nothing has changed, great trail sleds but a limited mountain following.

A company the size of Yamaha can get away with dominating a niche market but I think the public pushes them to give them more. The only way Yamaha can gain any real traction in the mountain segment is to offer a new 2 stroke. After watching the teaser video it sure sounds like a slightly tweaked 2 stroke sound. Sure they could drop a Cat 800 into the Cat chassis and brand it Yamaha but I don't think that's what the Yamaha customer wants.

Time will tell and I'm excited to see what they come to the table with. The reality is it probably won't take the mountain by storm but it will be a start. Also it will give the Yamaha customer the carrot they've been hoping for. Personally I just like to see strong competition, being stuck on a brand because there isn't a "better" option isn't good for the snowmobile industry as a whole.

My predictions for the new releases:

Polaris - Minor tweaks, a upgrade in the crossover segment (Assault Switchback) and maybe some new options in regards to shocks and track lengths.
Ski Doo - New Chassis, I think they NEED this.
Arctic Cat - I don't see anything major coming, maybe some more tweaking of the current set up. Heard the 16 is a huge improvement over the early years.
Yamaha - 2 Stroke Mountain sled.

Just my thoughts....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The 200 HP ETEC is the same weight. So I wouldn't even compare a outboard to a snowmobile engine. I would guess 4 cylinder based on the R1 engine. 200 hp naturally aspirated. This is the answer to the fact that ski doo will have a 1200 supercharged engine at 250 hp. Of course this is all trail sled.

But that IS where all the real Snowmobile money is at for the manufacturer

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador

You can't forget Arctic Cat is practically Yamaha now, and the last time I checked they have been in the mountain game as long as anyone else.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
You can't forget Arctic Cat is practically Yamaha now, and the last time I checked they have been in the mountain game as long as anyone else.

Cat has been in it a long time but I predict the whole Cat relationship is temporary and they will separate and build their own chassis again. They have more money and are larger than cat corporately.

RIDECATS

Premium Member
Sep 24, 2002
MN
do you think currency had some part of Yamaha's decision to get a sled built in the US. The yen/dollar relationship is like 60% percent change from 2011ish. Takes a lot more yen to buy a dollar now.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
They did with the YXZ. RHINO to YXZ was a big jump. Not to say the same about the sleds.

QUOTE=GoBigParts;3930233]Not to mention their are a couple of companies out there that have a focus and division dedicated just to the mtn segment and have been making huge inovative improvement over the last 5-6 years. I just cant see a company that has not had much focus in this area coming out with a game changer all of the sudden. Could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Really. Is it just me. Why is snowest not showing the new 2017 Yamaha trailer video. They have the picture of the new ski doo up and I believe Yamaha released theirs first. They did the same thing with the release of the YXZ, but they don't miss a beat when it comes to the RZRs. I love it when they are nonbiased. :face-icon-small-sho

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Really. Is it just me. Why is snowest not showing the new 2017 Yamaha trailer video. They have the picture of the new ski doo up and I believe Yamaha released theirs first. They did the same thing with the release of the YXZ, but they don't miss a beat when it comes to the RZRs. I love it when they are nonbiased. :face-icon-small-sho

Obviously Yamaha doesn't pay for the 'special' treatment the others get.......

Premium Features