• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha cutting down lugs

N
Mar 8, 2018
Sweden
So getting a new track soon and thinking of cutting down the lugs to 68mm? Should see an improvement in durrability and springsnow riding.
Anyone tried it? Seen good results on the old 3inch pc but havent heard anyone try it on the alpha track

runner

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Canada
I cut mine down to 2.5" to help it last longer being I am not always in the super deep snow and have to run alot in skitchy conditions. Just use a straight edge and sharp knife.

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Any more people tried this?

Have been thinking of taking .25” (or some number around this) off in hopes of a few things:

- more track speed
- quicker spin up
- little better setup/spring snow ride (although I mostly only go out in the fluff)

Would it gain a little longevity for track on groomed trails?

Would any increase (if noticeable) in track speed offset any loss (if noticeable) in deep snow traction?

Just looking for any thoughts, input or real world results from anyone who has done this. My track is starting to deteriorate (3000 km) so may just try it this season anyway before buying a new track at some point, likely will make it through the season but never know I guess.

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Nobody has cut their tracks down or know of anyone?? No thoughts as to if I’d gain track speed but not lose deep snow traction with .25-.3” or so? Bueller, Bueller, Bueller

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Nobody has cut their tracks down or know of anyone?? No thoughts as to if I’d gain track speed but not lose deep snow traction with .25-.3” or so? Bueller, Bueller, Bueller

Will be interesting to hear input from people on the 2.6, that said there's that balance point between traction and track speed, and I find the 3" gets plenty of speed, in a chew in seeing about 63-65km/hr track speed on my 165", you could gain track speed by cutting the paddles down but you may find you'll get stuck easier and it won't bite as good, I was very amazed my self at how well the gearing and clutching works for such a big track.

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
I will be cutting down my 2.6" by 1/4" and putting in screws for RMSHA hillclimbing... I have a 2019 Hardcore with 2.25" cut down and screws and side by side the track rips harder than my 2.6 alpha track but that is to be expected...

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
Ya I agree we aren’t talking racing here. We are talking all around deep snow performance here

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Haha ya,,, just wondering where that line in the snow is between track speed and track-tion. You either move more snow with evacuation speed, or volume.

3000 kms on track and it’s just starting to fail on some lugs, so this season may be its last given it’ll see at least another 3-4000 km this winter. Might just lop some off and see what it does.

Thanks for the input.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Any updates if anyone has tried this? I need a new 3.5p track and it’s either alpha 3” that I prob cut down to 2.6-2.8 or a doo track. The durability issues I’ve seen on both sides is making it a tough decision.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Any updates if anyone has tried this? I need a new 3.5p track and it’s either alpha 3” that I prob cut down to 2.6-2.8 or a doo track. The durability issues I’ve seen on both sides is making it a tough decision.
Neither of those tracks are interchangeable from the factory.

I wouldn't put a doo track on the Alpha Rail, too much work, money and small rods won't handle the stress of the mono rail.
Takes a bit of work and a couple hundred $ to get the Alpha track on the twin rail.

Sent it

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Neither of those tracks are interchangeable from the factory.

I wouldn't put a doo track on the Alpha Rail, too much work, money and small rods won't handle the stress of the mono rail.
Takes a bit of work and a couple hundred $ to get the Alpha track on the twin rail.

Sent it
Don’t worry about what it fits, alpha track getting cut and clipped for twin rail. I’m just discussing/concerned about durability.

local guys with alphas found if they keep their trail speeds down that helped a lot and durability seems to be minimal problem with 2.5” lugs so just trying to gauge if a cut down alpha might be the ticket

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Curious how fast everyone, that is having track problems, is going down the trail. I think that is the durability problem. Too fast and transfering heat through the clips and into rods and lugs. I always go 40 or less and never had trouble with any 3 inch. Maybe I'm lucky but I've never won anything so that can't be. I've kindof come to grips that im a loser. Way ahead of everyone that think they're a winner.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Curious how fast everyone, that is having track problems, is going down the trail. I think that is the durability problem. Too fast and transfering heat through the clips and into rods and lugs. I always go 40 or less and never had trouble with any 3 inch. Maybe I'm lucky but I've never won anything so that can't be. I've kindof come to grips that im a loser. Way ahead of everyone that think they're a winner.

Exactly the same, haven't had an issue with any 3 inch track and take it easy down the trails

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I agree on the high speed trail running ruining the alpha track. I try to keep under 40 as well and after 800 miles mine looked brand new until 2 weeks ago when I pin and wiggled on a rock. Even after that I only ended up with 2 split lugs.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I agree on the high speed trail running ruining the alpha track. I try to keep under 40 as well and after 800 miles mine looked brand new until 2 weeks ago when I pin and wiggled on a rock. Even after that I only ended up with 2 split lugs.
Vern loctite makes a glue that will glue your split lugs back together. I’ll look at the bottle I used on my lugs and post back which compound it is. Seemed to work good

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Curious how the track weights compare to my 2010 M8 162 x 2.25 whichis 52.5#.
It has over 4,500 miles and no missing lugs or delamination. It does have very minimal damage rocks etc.

oh, and I rarely ride over like 35-40 for any distance.

Premium Features