• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Air bubbles in oil feed line

C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
I think I'm going to go home and give my dry sump oil pump, and its oil pressure sensor that prevents the engine from running with no oil, a nice big hug tonight.:face-icon-small-ton

No kidding man. I hope that all it was is a bubble. At least that should be easy enough to check... Have you gotten to ride it yet?

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
No kidding man. I hope that all it was is a bubble. At least that should be easy enough to check... Have you gotten to ride it yet?

Sure, for a total of 30 feet, on concrete. 10 of those feet in reverse. Probably a couple more weeks until things are rideable around here at the earliest unfortunately.

C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
Sure, for a total of 30 feet, on concrete. 10 of those feet in reverse. Probably a couple more weeks until things are rideable around here at the earliest unfortunately.

Right on, I just got a call from the dealer saying I can come pick mine up, but I'm leaving for work, and the next day I have off is thanksgiving... Oh well, I'll get it home one of these days...

A
Jan 30, 2011
Palmer AK
I run 40:1 on a mod 09 M8...2,000 miles on the oil delete no issues.

There should not be any issues we used to run the really old sleds at 32:1, My el Tigre was at that ratio or close. Either way a fouled set of plugs and/ or dirty power valves are way easier to remidy than a cooked engine. Ran my last two sleds at 50:1 the first tank until I was sure it was using oil. One or two rich tanks is not enough to make a difference unless there is a bubble, then it may mean extending your season.

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
One dealer told me that cat has said even if the pump fails 100:1 premix and the sled should still run 80miles before major mech failure!? This is just what the tech told me!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
One dealer told me that cat has said even if the pump fails 100:1 premix and the sled should still run 80miles before major mech failure!? This is just what the tech told me!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

I think dependig on the oil you run... I knew a guy who ran a psi 995 on a hundred percent t av gas, premixed 100:1 with amsoil weedeater oil! He ran that thing for years... I thought he was nucking futs, but it worked for him. It was funny watching him open a flat of the three ounce bottles to mix in his transfer tank... Because really, who buys a gallon jug of oil for the weedeater?

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
i don,t buy the oiling issue if its from poor pdi why weren,t sleds going down last year same motor same guy doing the pdi now this years motors going down like crazy imo:face-icon-small-con

C

chuckbernard

Jan 7, 2008
Right side doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Right side? Left side?

I guess it depends on where you are standing and where you are facing. A better way to put it is to lay it down on the PTO side or the chain case side. That would make it clearer. I'd have to look at mine to see where bubbles might be in the line and figure out what side it should be leaned on. My guess is that it is going to be leaned on the PTO side.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Right or left side is always as if you are on it. When you order A arms and such, they don't say pto or mag. They say left or right, so either will work.

jazzfan

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2009
Looked at mine today. I saw air bubbles in the oil line so I tipped on its left side ran it for two minutes and bubbles went away. I hope I'm good to go....

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
i don,t buy the oiling issue if its from poor pdi why weren,t sleds going down last year same motor same guy doing the pdi now this years motors going down like crazy imo:face-icon-small-con

Because it is a different chassis, oil tank, tank location, longer lines, lower mounting point. I think the M-series bleed itself out easier and faster JMOP.

I'm also not saying all the dealers are doing a bad PDI... I think the M was pretty fool proof and the Pro-climb has some things that will require closer inspection & different techniques to get them setup properly for the customer.

Last edited:
C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
Cat told dealer right side but what ever it takes to get them out...

I think as long as there is a slope to the oil line in either direction it will help dislodge the bubbles. Personally I think that it would be better to have the bubble come up to the tank instead of trying to make it go through the pump... But having not seen the route of the oil line, i don't know which way would achieve this... Personally, if I had a bubble in the line, i'd do it right, and not complain about how much of a pain it is to bleed the pump. Because I know for a fact that will get the bubbles out. So for me, that would make it worth the work. Ultimately, how much work is it to POP the throttle bodies vs taking the engine out, or doing a top end? It's a no brainer, and I can't believe its not being done...

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
I think as long as there is a slope to the oil line in either direction it will help dislodge the bubbles. Personally I think that it would be better to have the bubble come up to the tank instead of trying to make it go through the pump... But having not seen the route of the oil line, i don't know which way would achieve this... Personally, if I had a bubble in the line, i'd do it right, and not complain about how much of a pain it is to bleed the pump. Because I know for a fact that will get the bubbles out. So for me, that would make it worth the work. Ultimately, how much work is it to POP the throttle bodies vs taking the engine out, or doing a top end? It's a no brainer, and I can't believe its not being done...

I agree with you to some extent but if there is a easier way that doesn't hurt anything, why not let them work there own way out. I don't see why you couldn't leave it on its side overnight in the garage, bet by morning there gone.

I wrench for a living I try to work smarter not harder. Frankly these tight little SOB's really tick me off. So if it will do it on it's own, with out me drawing blood I'm all for it.

C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
I agree with you to some extent but if there is a easier way that doesn't hurt anything, why not let them work there own way out. I don't see why you couldn't leave it on its side overnight in the garage, bet by morning there gone.

I wrench for a living I try to work smarter not harder. Frankly these tight little SOB's really tick me off. So if it will do it on it's own, with out me drawing blood I'm all for it.

Yeah, you can't disagree with that logic... And I don't have mine yet, so I don't know how hard it will be. I just hate doing things half a$$ed, and when I used to work on sleds I just had the mindset that it had to be done. Ya know? Hopefully mine won't seize goin on the trailer, or have any bubbles in the oil lines, or any of that stuff... But I'm for certain gonna check it out before I go for a ride

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
Yeah, you can't disagree with that logic... And I don't have mine yet, so I don't know how hard it will be. I just hate doing things half a$$ed, and when I used to work on sleds I just had the mindset that it had to be done. Ya know? Hopefully mine won't seize goin on the trailer, or have any bubbles in the oil lines, or any of that stuff... But I'm for certain gonna check it out before I go for a ride

Lol, I don't think it's half assed, I think it's smarter but we can agree to disagree as long neither sled gets squeaked.

C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
Lol, I don't think it's half azzed, I think it's smarter but we can agree to disagree as long neither sled gets squeaked.

I'll second that one! A no squeaky is a good squeaky! Leave that for the poo section...

Last edited by a moderator:
D
Sep 3, 2008
When I used to work at a Cat dealer we had to bleed them on all units. That was back in the days of the Thundercats and powderspecials/extremes. Since then it has always been done up here.

Premium Features