• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 RMK Pro Air Bubble in Oil Line

R
Jan 25, 2022
Boise
I just replaced the engine in my sled and had Dennis Dillion prime the oil pump for me. I noticed today that one of the oil lines has an air bubble in it. The bubble appears to move around line like the pump is feeding more oil through but I'm not sure. Is the oil system on these sealed like brakes? Or does a small bubble in the line not matter that much?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Is the bubble in the line to the oil pump, or one of the lines to the intake or bearings? If it's before the pump, it may be that it's stuck in a high spot and oil is feeding past it, although they tend to move with the oil. In that case, I'd bleed the line again and do whatever it takes to get rid of it. There's a good chance it gets to the oil pump sooner or later, and that could interrupt oil flow and kill the motor. If it's after the oil pump, it should clear out on its own unless there's a blockage and oil isn't flowing through that line (which could also take down the motor). Regardless, in a properly functioning oil system, you shouldn't see any air bubbles.

R
Jan 25, 2022
Boise
Is the bubble in the line to the oil pump, or one of the lines to the intake or bearings? If it's before the pump, it may be that it's stuck in a high spot and oil is feeding past it, although they tend to move with the oil. In that case, I'd bleed the line again and do whatever it takes to get rid of it. There's a good chance it gets to the oil pump sooner or later, and that could interrupt oil flow and kill the motor. If it's after the oil pump, it should clear out on its own unless there's a blockage and oil isn't flowing through that line (which could also take down the motor). Regardless, in a properly functioning oil system, you shouldn't see any air bubbles.
The oil bubbles are in the lines to the engine. They look like they’re moving so I think it’s good. I’ll keep an eye on it. I appreciate the info!

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Sounds good. I can't remember which is which, but half the oil lines flow at a different rate than the other half. It's not the kind of thing that'll clear up immediately while the engine is idling, but enough oil should move in a few miles of riding to clear any bubbles.

Premium Features