• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

After buy a mototrax

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
I know this might upset some people, but i wanted to share my experience. So after riding a snowbike last winter i really wanted to get one, so a buddy tells me about mototrax so after drinking the mototrax kool-aid (sales pitch) i snowchecked one and then the wreck starts, it showed up late didnt have fit kit with the kit then the bushing broke ate up boggie wheels, so they sent updates. so now ive got 3.4 hours on the kit and have put the track back on it 6 or 7 times, ive lost count so after two weeks of trying to get ahold of them because there so busy trying to sell, they cant even give a guy that has bought there product a call back and when they call me back they tell me i could have called the east coast link, maybe they could say that on phone message i live in Montana thats western half of America last i checked. Before I bought this kit was told that I could ride this kit 5th gear pined looking for 6th gear on the trail, that isnt my experience this thing handles bad, my wife tryed riding it and floped her hard after she was riding my buddys cmx bike around no problem. so now there sending more parts to try and get the track to stay on rails also boogie wheels are hamburger from chowing on track clips after there update instslled also there is no literature on suspension setup from factory im suppost to know that i guess mototrax tells me its up to rider preference its my first snowbike how do i know anything. im over the kit i fell ive been lied to and called them today to have them take the kit back and they told me they dont do that so you sell me a junk product that has been broke more then it has worked and wont even take it back and give me my money back, even if I had to pay freight id take that for making the bad decision to buy there product. My wife wont ride it anymore after it floped her and i just dont want to mess with it anymore im over it i feel im doing there r&d and payed 5 grand so far snowbiking was a bad investment and im sure ill get attacked by people for this but this is my experience and I'm the customer, I've been selling trailers for past 10 years and cant imagine not taking a trailer back if a customer of mine had this happen to them because i sell alot of trailers by word of mouth and at this point if someone asked me about mototrax id say ride it let the thing flop you when the track shoots off and you tell me what you think makes you want to shell out 5 grand doesn't it?

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Yah, we are doing their r&d. and they do need to stop lying. These posts will hurt their sales I'm sure. Maybe they don't care. I feel like they have good intentions but they are failing in a few key areas like working with the customer. Now, I'm pretty sure the track is supposed to stay on though, so why isn't that warranty? I only warranties one part and they sent it out in a week. I need to check it over well now that I have about 18 hours on it but it seems to be working. I'm starting to doubt the ski so I'll be trying a few others before the season is out. Sorry to hear about the wife's experience. I will say that I saw a few mototrax front spindles in the x games snowbike cross race last weekend, but they were bolted to timbersled skis I think.

Im happy with my mototrax, but if I were to take a time machine to a year ago, I'd be looking real hard at cmx kits.

rmkfire

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Oconomowoc, WI
Similar experience

I ran into a few issues myself. I also snowchecked a Mountain 129 and waited until November 18th for the kit to arrive without the fit kit which arrived November 28th. I will say for me that it was quicker and easier to email Zak then calling and leaving messages. Zak responded by email on weekends and assured me that he would take care of things, and he came thru. I ended up selling my kit after riding it for a few times back home around the yard and 2 1/2 days of riding out west. When people asked why, I told them it was like having a hot girlfriend but she didn't put out. I'm a horsepower junkie, I like to jump things as responsive as I can with my sled, I was told that I would be able to run it in 6th gear going down the trail as well. At elevation (7,000') this wasn't possible, never had the opportunity to do it at sea level. My wife enjoyed it because I could only go 45 mph. It would just bog out in 6th gear on me. I know I could have regeared it, but it wasn't close enough to my expectations in performance to even bother with it. I broke the rear pivot rod in the backyard and when the track derailed it launched me into the trees. see attached pictures, I believe this broke because of the snap ring collar that holds the shock bushing in place came out of the groove and slid over causing additional stress on the rear suspension. Also had the top brake pad bolt disappear, and when I went to update the wheels the new spindle that was sent came out in two pieces. I only found this because the new wheels didn't come with the kit and when I went to put the wheels on, it fell apart as I removed the bolts. I put 10 hours on the kit and felt I spent to much time fixing it and waiting the week for the parts to come so I went and bought a new AXYS. I wouldn't come on here and rant about how bad your kit is until you offload the thing. I understand your frustration just might be a little hard to sell it here now. Overall my opinion is MotoTrax is growing at a rapid pace and unfortunately they and the customers are dealing with a lot of the growing pains, I agree they should be honest on their delivery dates or notify us ahead of the promised delivery date with an accurate ship date, not two weeks for the next 6 weeks, there should be more documented support on setting the suspension up. I only get 1-2 weeks out west a year and don't want to be doing a lot of R&D trying to figure it out. I will wait a few years and see where things develop.

Rear arm.jpg Derail.jpg Snap collar popped out.jpg Wheel with updated spindle.jpg upper brake pad bolt missing.jpg

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Yes I would agree... I have had the track fall off but for me it was the bolt coming out of the arm that holds the biggies then it lost tention... Getting it set up suspension and ski wise has been completely a one man show besides me asking how they personally set there own rides up and starting with that.... That being said for me in the powder nothing handles as sharp and as well as this kit that I have road yet... The road is sketchy but I can cruise in 4 the at this point... Now I had my share of issue with the timbersled also though... I think if they have a starting point for suspension set up everyone would be much happier... But it does seem we are the test subjects...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

M
Jan 14, 2004
This topic has been covered in other threads with other brands. If you recall Yeti delayed their release by a year so as to be able to test more and not screw over their clients and their reputation. Too many small start ups with out enough cash to do proper R&D. Camso has the money and you aren't hearing about tons of problems with their kits. TS did a their share of client R&D back in the earlier days. It takes big money to make a good reliable product so for me I wont be testing anybody's stuff for them AT MY EXPENSE, which includes my lost time, I'll wait until it's proven.

Snow biking is a great sport but it's not sledding and no bike will rip 6th gear for very long unless its on a flat groomed trail. I wish these vendors would quit blowing smoke up guys a$$es just to sell a kit. It is what it is and so don't over inflate what a bike can do and as such its not for everyone.

Sorry to hear about all your issues hopefully they don't put you off biking because it really is a great time.

M5

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
Felt the need to chime in since I have had NONE of the issues discussed above. I bought the entry level Enduro kit and everything has held up. No track derailments, no bogie issues, no bushing failure. Zak gave me his cell number at a demo ride and has always taken my calls or at least called me back. Same with emails. These guys are a small outfit and are trying very hard. They have had some supplier and shipping issues that will get sorted out. I believe in them and the product they sell.

Not sure why anyone would feel that the Moto Trax guys are responsible to tell you how to set up your suspension. Maybe providing a guide for the proper preload on the shock spring - but other than that, if you own the bike you should already know a thing or two about how to balance it. My Yamaha owner's manual does no more than discuss preload and dampening (which my Enduro shock does not have.) Same with my Polaris manual. Set the preload for rider weight and adjust to preference.

That being said, this kit is unlike the TS in that it doesn't (at least isn't supposed to) transfer as much weight to the front so fork set up is different than other kits. I, for one haven't done a thing to my forks from how it was set up for dirt. And I took a small amount of preload off the track shock from how it was sent out. (I weigh 160 without gear.)

Every kit has its issues. Some people are more vocal than others.

Do I think your particular experience has sucked? Absolutely. I apologize for all of your trouble. But from the perspective of a fellow Moto Trax owner, I am VERY satisfied with my purchase. Especially since I bought the lowest level kit available.

I wish you the best. Good luck. Have fun.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Just looking at those pics from RMKfire, that's got injury lawsuit written all over it, if that happened at the wrong time which is anytime IMO, the results could be catastrophic. That's a lack of testing plain and simple.

M5

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I think like all manufacturers if they come out with fixes for the issues and take care of the current customers then that will show their true colors.. it appears so far they have been real good about correcting issues. This kit seems to be the most picky about set up and you can't base how to do it on other kits... Once I got mine feeling right man it is lethal in the way it handles ... I am honestly getting to the point where their ski is starting to be my favorite .... Yes I said it...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
I know this might upset some people, but i wanted to share my experience. So after riding a snowbike last winter i really wanted to get one, so a buddy tells me about mototrax so after drinking the mototrax kool-aid (sales pitch) i snowchecked one and then the wreck starts, it showed up late didnt have fit kit with the kit then the bushing broke ate up boggie wheels, so they sent updates. so now ive got 3.4 hours on the kit and have put the track back on it 6 or 7 times, ive lost count so after two weeks of trying to get ahold of them because there so busy trying to sell, they cant even give a guy that has bought there product a call back and when they call me back they tell me i could have called the east coast link, maybe they could say that on phone message i live in Montana thats western half of America last i checked. Before I bought this kit was told that I could ride this kit 5th gear pined looking for 6th gear on the trail, that isnt my experience this thing handles bad, my wife tryed riding it and floped her hard after she was riding my buddys cmx bike around no problem. so now there sending more parts to try and get the track to stay on rails also boogie wheels are hamburger from chowing on track clips after there update instslled also there is no literature on suspension setup from factory im suppost to know that i guess mototrax tells me its up to rider preference its my first snowbike how do i know anything. im over the kit i fell ive been lied to and called them today to have them take the kit back and they told me they dont do that so you sell me a junk product that has been broke more then it has worked and wont even take it back and give me my money back, even if I had to pay freight id take that for making the bad decision to buy there product. My wife wont ride it anymore after it floped her and i just dont want to mess with it anymore im over it i feel im doing there r&d and payed 5 grand so far snowbiking was a bad investment and im sure ill get attacked by people for this but this is my experience and I'm the customer, I've been selling trailers for past 10 years and cant imagine not taking a trailer back if a customer of mine had this happen to them because i sell alot of trailers by word of mouth and at this point if someone asked me about mototrax id say ride it let the thing flop you when the track shoots off and you tell me what you think makes you want to shell out 5 grand doesn't it?

I had almost the exact experience with my MotoTrax purchase. I do like the direction they are going with the kit itself but I feel it is not ready for mainstream yet. My customer service experience was pretty good they always returned my calls and emails.

Premium Features