• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

After 2 seasons on the snow, did the 2019 or 2020 Alphas end up with a better track record?

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
@Frostbite I recommend getting the 19 Alpha. I had a '18 for 3 seasons and loved the sled. Such an upgrade from my '13. Like you, my plan was to spring check a '21 as I've rolled a little over 3500 miles on my '18. I do a fair amount of trail riding with it, either with family or just to get to different areas (could be 20 miles one way). I ended up finding a leftover 19 Alpha end of February. And let me tell you, worth every damn penny for the price. My dad had a 19 and I loved how much better it handled compared to my '18 Mtn Cat. Take the extra money, buy your wife and daughter a nice present, I immediately did the Precision EFI flash (LOOOOOVE IT), and your elevate kit. Heck, make a evening with the family just looking at cool wraps if they really don't like the colors lol

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Yeah, that doesn’t seem right at all. Mine sips fuel as well compared to the zukes. If you haven’t touched clutching, you may try a shallower helix depending on your elevation. I had issues holding rpm under wot long pulls at 10k (clutches would get hot as hell) and dropped from the 48 to a straight 45 and it made a world of difference. My dealer claimed he was dropping in 68g into all of the sleds he sold and they were performing well but mine would not get to peak rpm either. I’m 205 lb - dropped to 66’s and they worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ride mostly between 8-9k feet and I'm probably pushing 300lbs all geared up. Earlier in the year I bought the full mds set up with weights and 45° helix but it wouldn't pull above 7500 rpm unless I ran the weights empty so Steve sent me a slightly stiffer secondary spring to try as well, but that didn't help. So I went back to the stock clutching and just rode it most of the season with inconsistent rpms. I did weigh my stock weights and they came in at 71 grams so I lightened them up to an even 70. Second to last ride with this heavier spring time snow on a few longer pulls I was struggling to hit 78-7900 rpm so I through the 45 helix and spring that mds sent me back in for the last ride with the stock weights. Rpms were better, about 8150, but it felt like it hit a wall on the top end. Maybe I need to try the 45 with the stock sec spring.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Just go stock everything on clutching with lighter primary weights and the 45 helix. With a glide washer under the primary spring cover. I've had no issues with this setup hitting rpms and staying there, while getting good pull.

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
I ride mostly between 8-9k feet and I'm probably pushing 300lbs all geared up. Earlier in the year I bought the full mds set up with weights and 45° helix but it wouldn't pull above 7500 rpm unless I ran the weights empty so Steve sent me a slightly stiffer secondary spring to try as well, but that didn't help. So I went back to the stock clutching and just rode it most of the season with inconsistent rpms. I did weigh my stock weights and they came in at 71 grams so I lightened them up to an even 70. Second to last ride with this heavier spring time snow on a few longer pulls I was struggling to hit 78-7900 rpm so I through the 45 helix and spring that mds sent me back in for the last ride with the stock weights. Rpms were better, about 8150, but it felt like it hit a wall on the top end. Maybe I need to try the 45 with the stock sec spring.

I would go back to what you suggested in your last sentence. Along with that and your RTR weight, I’d drop to 66s or at least 68s. 70 is too heavy for anyone at that elevation I think. I think you’ll notice a difference. I haven’t heard of anyone getting MDS weights to work at elevation on any cats.

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
I would go back to what you suggested in your last sentence. Along with that and your RTR weight, I’d drop to 66s or at least 68s. 70 is too heavy for anyone at that elevation I think. I think you’ll notice a difference. I haven’t heard of anyone getting MDS weights to work at elevation on any cats.

I had issues early in season because an aftermarket primary cover bushing fell out because of a manufacturer QC issue. Had primary issues after that and finally ended up with a new primary. Since then, stock setup with 66g weights and just a lesser angle helix has been absolutely ripping.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
See, I've read lots of good things about mds on the '19 and older cats for under 10k feet, and my brothers '14 runs really well with mds weights which is why I decided to try them. After struggling with them for a while I contacted racinstation and they told me they were having troubles on the 20's as well so I gave up on them for now. Guess I'll throw the stock sec spring back in with the 45 helix, and see what happens. Probably not much riding left this year anywho.

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
See, I've read lots of good things about mds on the '19 and older cats for under 10k feet, and my brothers '14 runs really well with mds weights which is why I decided to try them. After struggling with them for a while I contacted racinstation and they told me they were having troubles on the 20's as well so I gave up on them for now. Guess I'll throw the stock sec spring back in with the 45 helix, and see what happens. Probably not much riding left this year anywho.

Agreed on that. Get lighter weights than your 70g too and see if your dealer will exchange. Mine gave me brand new lighter weights as it wasn’t set up correctly.

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
I had issues early in season because an aftermarket primary cover bushing fell out because of a manufacturer QC issue. Had primary issues after that and finally ended up with a new primary. Since then, stock setup with 66g weights and just a lesser angle helix has been absolutely ripping.

I had an aftermarket cover do the same, bushing fell out... now my primary is junk. Inner bushing is roached.

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY

That’s no bueno, sh**ty deal for sure. I ended up ok on the deal, but between myself and one of my every day riding buddies, no luck with the “stronger” aftermarket option. Balancing is a must if you do any aftermarket modding on your primary. Not that that had any effect on mine, but I’ve seen two in my riding group (Cat and Polaris), that had near catastrophic failures on aftermarket covers, but I don’t think either had been balanced. That being said, not sure if balance was entirely the reason behind their failures or not, tough to tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
That’s no bueno, sh**ty deal for sure. I ended up ok on the deal, but between myself and one of my every day riding buddies, no luck with the “stronger” aftermarket option. Balancing is a must if you do any aftermarket modding on your primary. Not that that had any effect on mine, but I’ve seen two in my riding group (Cat and Polaris), that had near catastrophic failures on aftermarket covers, but I don’t think either had been balanced. That being said, not sure if balance was entirely the reason behind their failures or not, tough to tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t think balancing is to blame. But I agree is should be done with an aftermarket cover either way. It’s the way they are made, with no inner C clip or other mechanical way of holding the bushing in. Cover and bushing are much different metals with different expansion/contraction rates, not good in a friction fit type connection with heat/cool cycles constantly and lateral load on top of that. Just what I think, Anyways. I was sent a replacement but I’m not confident on running it.

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
I don’t think balancing it to blame. It’s the way they are made, with no inner C clip or other mechanical way of holding the bushing in. Cover and bushing are much different metals with different expansion/contraction rates, not good in a friction fit type connection with heat/cool cycles constantly and lateral load on top of that. Just what I think, I was sent a replacement but I’m not confident on running it.

Totally; wasn’t referring to my issue with the bushing. I’ve seen two covers with failures in my riding group - one with a 1/4 of the cover blown out (only 200-300 miles on the cover and only about a month old) and another that was cracking in a couple spots in the webbing.

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
I don’t think balancing is to blame. But I agree is should be done with an aftermarket cover either way. It’s the way they are made, with no inner C clip or other mechanical way of holding the bushing in. Cover and bushing are much different metals with different expansion/contraction rates, not good in a friction fit type connection with heat/cool cycles constantly and lateral load on top of that. Just what I think, Anyways. I was sent a replacement but I’m not confident on running it.

I was also told it was a result of receiving no adhesive (QC issue from an employee)

jb800

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Currently MN
Great stuff turboless Terry! The 162" and 165" tracked sleds I have ridden in the past were just not nearly as fun as the shorter tracks where you basically steer with body English because the skis are always in the air. I enjoy that but, I will also be 60 next year so I have to be a realist as well.

This may derail my own train but, I am shocked at what just happened. My wife just asked why I wanted another Arctic Cat? Well, I guess because my last two sleds have been Cats (after Yamaha left me hanging). She said, you rode Skidoo's and Yamaha's, why don't you get a Polaris this time around, the only one you have had in the past was that little XC120 you bought for the kids and you are always telling me how much lighter they are. Oh man, she actually listened. Interesting, perhaps I could be convinced that a Kahos 850 would be fun. They are lighter and they do come with a much longer warranty. Their 800 engine reliability made me run far, far away previously but, maybe they have the engine reliability thing worked out? I can't believe I am even saying this on here. It's heresy! Does she have a point?

I have a 19 alpha that I put a turbo on last season. 500 miles stock, and 400 turbo-ed on a 154. Fun sled, but I also have a 2020 850 RMK. Love my Alpha, but at the end of the day my RMK is easier on me after a long day. Probably going to get a Kahos this year as well. If your looking to try something different, I wouldn't hesitate trying a poo for the sake that they might be easier on ya. I have way less fatigue at the end of a day then I do on my Alpha. Not bashing cat. Get electric start, lightweight battery and a can to shed some weight you will be happy with a poo. Or stick with a cat, you will also not be disappointed.

Good luck with your purchase!

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I ended up finding a very slightly used 2020 Hardcore 165" with electric start. I already swapped out the heavy stock battery for a lithium and the stock silencer for a titanium. I also swapped out the rear scissor link bolts for the single grade 8 bolt.

In the sellers trailer, I had the choice of a 2020 Kahos 800 or the 2020 Hardcore. If the Kahos has been an 850, I probably would have chosen it but, since it was an 800, I chose the Hardcore.

Premium Features