• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Advice for novice needed

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
All of the above suggestions are good. But the best (and cheapest!) fix for fogging goggles is the tabs that attach your goggles to your helmet with one side having Velcro so you can pull it off and let your goggles hang to the side of your helmet. They work great because every time you get stuck or stop riding for any reason, you just reach up and rip the Velcro off and your goggles hang to one side of your helmet away from your breath and body heat. For me it has become automatic every time I stop to just reach up and pull them off. But even if I get foggy (rare) I can pull them off and shake them back and forth while still attached to one side of me helmet and they clear right up. I think the kit is around $12 and fits any goggles. It's a no-brainer for me... They're called 'Quick Strap'.

Yep, quick straps are the way to go. You are much more apt to take your goggles off with the quick straps. I wear glasses and so I get double the fog problems. My goggles usually come off just before I stop and I don't put them back on until I'm moving. With quick straps all of that can be done one handed. Add a Velcro strip to the top of your helmet so instead of letting your goggles dangle to the side where they can get snow in them you can strap them across the top of the helmet.

T

T Stoke

Nov 28, 2007
Bethlehem, PA
I sympathize with this. I think we've all been there. Good visibility is definitely worth the investment.

3 things I recommend (Other than a fan, I've never tried that):

1. 2 pairs of goggles (Colored lens for a cloudy day and tinted lens for the sunny days)
2. Make sure that your goggles fit tight against your face. Most of the nicer goggles should do this but make sure there is a tight seal around your eyes. It will help avoid fog. (I use 509 & Dragon and both form a tight seal around my eyes)
3. Get a breath box (Some call it a breath deflector). It just snaps in to your helmet using what's already there for your pads. If you get a good one it has a strip of metal you can you to close over your nose and help avoid that hot air rising.

Between the breath box and tight goggles, you should be good. I don't know that a helmet is necessary. Unless it's used as a good way to justify it to your significant other... :)

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I didn't read every response so this maybe repeating....sorry.
1st & foremost is a "No Fog" mask.
If it's warm enough no mask at all.
Learn to blow your exhales away so the moist air doesn't rise up to the goggles.

Goggles OFF immediately whenever stopped.

Quick straps help me a lot.

When tree riding I prefer sunglasses over the goggles unless it's really cold.

Premium Features