• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Advice for novice needed

C
Jan 5, 2012
Iowa
Outta Iowa so only make it out West couple times a year. Been going for last 5 years and always have the same problem: fogging up. It gets to the point where it's dangerous. When it's cold I fog up and can't use goggles rest of the day. I've tried a few combos of googles but this year I'm spending the coin to solve the issue. I'm a big, fat, sweaty guy and that's not changing so need advice on helmet/Goggle combo that will give me fighting chance.
Questions:

What's a good helmet/goggle combo? $400 budget. Only request is I'm not big on gaudy colors/stickers etc?

Are goggle fans the ticket?

Best overall lens color?

Is it best to match helmet and goggle manufacture? It would make sense to me but maybe not.

Is buying used an option to explore? Where to look?

Where to buy new? Manufacture website or wholesale? Local dealer isn't an option.

Thanks for any info. Even a strategy of keep goggles on when stuck, take off immediately? If I sound desperate it's because I am. It basically ruins half of everyday riding. Got caught in a storm last year and it got dangerous with no goggles.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
What it all comes down to is heat/moisture inside the helmet. (Believe me I have dealt with this for a long time.) So you have to deal with that. So how do you reduce that? Clothes that are made for snowmobiling that wick away the moisture from your body. A light weight balaclava is a must out west. On occasion I ride without one. Long or thick hair on your head, or facial hair makes more heat inside your helmet.
I have heard good thing about goggles with fans.
Color of lens doesn't matter.
Bottom line is you have to reduce the heat from your body getting up into your helmet.
On a different note, if you do sweat a lot make damn sure you are hydrated. Especially at higher elevations than you have in Iowa.
:welcome:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Treat your goggles like they are gold, breath down when you are stopped with your helmet on. Put them in your engine compartment everytime you stop to help dry them out. They have to be dual lens. If you sweat that much you're gonna need more than one pair, buy a underhood goggle bag and rotate them as they get sweaty. If its snowing make sure NOT to hang your helmet from the bars when stopped. Set it on the seat or better yet between the bars and dash, the rising heat will help dry them. You can get goggles with a fan.

Dec 17, 2013
My buddy had the same problem last yr. The one thing that helped more than anything was setting his gear by the fire at night to make sure it was completely dried out for the next day. If you start the day with any kind of moisture in your helmet/ goggles/ boclava it's not going to take long for it to become a problem. Actually what happened in his case was he washed his helmet pads prior to the trip and he didn't get them dry. Needless to say, he was in some major trouble on day one. Had issues every other day as well, but not near as bad. As others have mentioned, two set, puts one under the hood at each stop and rotate.

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
Getting a fan would be my first recommendation to combat fogging ..there is a humidity sensor inside and it starts the fan when it senses humidity ..or you can leave it on constant .. ...they work pretty well and I've used it thruout multiple sets of goggles and just swapped the fan into the next set when I found another goggle I wanted to try .. ..on my second fan from Haber and never had an issue other than the first generation one the battery cover didn't like to stay on so well .. ..think they changed something there and this latest one stays put just fine . .

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I have 2 sets of turbo fans....Regardless of which brand you choose you need 2 sets if you perspire a lot when your riding.....if I'm just going on a 50 mile trail ride letting the sled do all the work 1 pair will do....When I'm in the backcountry working hard busting through the deep & steep the body perspires the foam padding gets wet and google performance suffers.

Gloves are the same.

DPG

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
I had to ditch the baclava, got a klim f4 helmet which air flows through a lot better, then reduced my clothing I'm cold first thing in the morning but boy once I hit the hill I warm up quick, make sure the coat you have has zippers under the arms/armpits and open them alittle(not too much so snow dosn't get in making you wet).
this is what helped me

All of the above suggestions are good. But the best (and cheapest!) fix for fogging goggles is the tabs that attach your goggles to your helmet with one side having Velcro so you can pull it off and let your goggles hang to the side of your helmet. They work great because every time you get stuck or stop riding for any reason, you just reach up and rip the Velcro off and your goggles hang to one side of your helmet away from your breath and body heat. For me it has become automatic every time I stop to just reach up and pull them off. But even if I get foggy (rare) I can pull them off and shake them back and forth while still attached to one side of me helmet and they clear right up. I think the kit is around $12 and fits any goggles. It's a no-brainer for me... They're called 'Quick Strap'.

J
Jan 20, 2009
Northern Utah
Lots of good advice in previous posts, I too am a sweaty rider.

1. Keep multiple goggles, rotate them in and out of the engine compartment to dry them out. Keep them in a storage bag for protection.

2. Use goggle straps with velcro tab to secure to the helmet so you can rip it off and let it hang whenever you are stopped.

3. Keep them dry and rotate sets. I usually carry two for regular use and a third in my backpack just in case something happens to one of the others. Triple face foam and fans always help, also good airflow helmet, balaclava, and breath guard always help. Don't wait until you ice up to rotate your goggles, it gets too difficult to dry it out between the layered lenses.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Goggles must be dual lens
Dry helmet and goggles each night, as well as other gear
Park facing the wind if u don't want to remove each time you stop
Exhale down so breath less likely to cause fogging

When stopped, if fogging starts to get worse, take goggles off and try to keep snow from getting on them. Many times I put mine in a Baggie before setting them on dash.

Warm goggles feel good and fog less. I have vent holes on my m8 dash which serve as a heat vent and work great to warm and defog goggles. If iced up the vent will melt ice and I wipe moisture off lens before putting goggles on. If snowing I will place goggles over vents and place Baggie on top to keep snow off.

I have the cat goggle bag under hood but rarely need to use it because of the vents I made. I will say there is much less engine bay heat coming out since I replaced the oem can with a slp.

Oh, as far as lens color, I believe rose colored is the best all around daytime lens. I run blue or yellow because rose was out of stock each time I ordered lenses. When I was researching it years ago, skiers preferred rose.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
What i have found that works for me is opposite of what most people are saying. When people get stuck and take off their helmet or let their goggles hang (quick strap) i keep mine on. As long as its only a couple minutes.
I end up being the only person that is not fogged up.
Remember that all it takes is a couple snowflakes on the inside of the lens to start the fogging process.
Different brand goggles work different on different people. I have had a lot of brands and models. Some of the most expensive ones ive had i gave away after a few rides because they fogged more so than others.
The best goggles that i have used are no longer made, scott 89xi turbo. They have a replacement that i have not tried yet but the lens fits my 89xi frame so i assume it will perform similar.
I carry 3-4 pairs of goggles usually use one unless there are a lot of stucks then i will use 2 and swap back and forth in the heated goggle bag.
I do not wear a balcava. I wear underarmor shirt, six-six one chest protector, and an uninsulated motorfist rekon jacket and still sweat.

Last edited:

arctic viper

Premium Member
Jul 24, 2014
Sioux Falls SD
I prefer a rose tint, an amber being second. The only thing that I have found to combat the goggle fogging is rotating them. I too can fog a goggle by looking through them.
I have a buddy that I will rotate goggles with on occasion, his goggles.....clear. mine....iced over, can't see. We swap.....his are fine (mine) and mine are fogged up (his). Pisses me off.....guess I'm a mouth breather or something.

M
Dec 17, 2011
Agree with a lot of the guys....2 pairs of goggles is a must, rotate through the day. I also carry a couple microfiber towels to wipe down the goggles I am switching out. Also, the breath deflector makes a huge difference. Lots of people don't like them but a good one really serves it's purpose.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
see post in this section "hard to find good goggles?"

this will solve your issue. Eric

Here is my post from that thread.
Its all about how they fit. So many people have issues and always say its the goggles fault. The truth is thats rarely the case. The goggle frame and foam need to fit your helmet and face. The key is to keep the snow AND your breath out of the goggles. Also dont be afraid to modify them for your needs. Trim the nose piece or add some foam to make them seal. you can buy some very nice quality foam for a couple bucks at lowes / home depot in the department that has foam sealing kits for doors and windows. Then cut them to shape, use a little spray glue and then apply to the area there are gaps. Works great and will last for years.
A breath guard that fits well will also make this set up work even better.
I wear nothing at all on my head under my helmet down to about zero, then a thin layer for colder temps.
I can leave my helmet and goggles on while digging out a stock sled and not fog at all.
Get the right set up and just about any goggle will work and make riding so much more enjoyable. Eric

Premium Features