• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

950 Super Enduro Build X2 (or the XXL thread)

B
Feb 4, 2011
You are totally on it Sheetmetalfab. I have seen the Africa Twin but I was not aware of the DCT. That looks really sweet. If I had an unlimited budget, I would seriously look into that.

I'm doing basically what you described but on the budget - low tech route. What I've done is install a push-pull type throttle tube on the left hand side of the handlebar. The cables are connected to a mechanism that moves the shift lever up and down. Kind of like a "grip shift" on a mountain bike. I'll be installing a Rekluse autoclutch to accompany this shifting set up.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
You are totally on it Sheetmetalfab. I have seen the Africa Twin but I was not aware of the DCT. That looks really sweet. If I had an unlimited budget, I would seriously look into that.

I'm doing basically what you described but on the budget - low tech route. What I've done is install a push-pull type throttle tube on the left hand side of the handlebar. The cables are connected to a mechanism that moves the shift lever up and down. Kind of like a "grip shift" on a mountain bike. I'll be installing a Rekluse autoclutch to accompany this shifting set up.

For the ability to hang on and not accidentally shift you should slide that mechanism in on the bars, cut 1/3rd off and add a half grip directly to the bars outboard of the "gripshift"

B
Feb 4, 2011
For the ability to hang on and not accidentally shift you should slide that mechanism in on the bars, cut 1/3rd off and add a half grip directly to the bars outboard of the "gripshift"

That was my original plan. However, I tested this mechanism on my 520 this past winter. At this point I don't know if it is necessary. I think I will have to use it more first but I am certainly keeping the option of shortening it on the table.

B
Feb 4, 2011
I'm starting work on the seat and engine cover.

I'm pleased with the tunnel and skid set up. I'm slightly concerned how much power gets robbed by that 174" x 13.5" track. My thinking is that my 520 was just barely enough to turn a 163" adequately so I'm thinking the 950 should do ok.

B
Feb 4, 2011
Well, I'm kinda pissed at photobucket for changing their policy on third party hosting. Pretty much ruined this thread. Oh well.

Bottom line is I've been testing Goliath the 950 Powder Pagan on the snow and I'm quite excited about how it turned out. This is going to be a true "mountain" snowbike with real power and real floatation. I'll probably never go back to the single cylinder dirt bike engines and certainly not short tracks.

Lot's of things to tweak still, suspension, lighten everything up, build covers, and yes, boost.

IMG_0085.JPG

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Well, I'm kinda pissed at photobucket for changing their policy on third party hosting. Pretty much ruined this thread. Oh well.

Bottom line is I've been testing Goliath the 950 Powder Pagan on the snow and I'm quite excited about how it turned out. This is going to be a true "mountain" snowbike with real power and real floatation. I'll probably never go back to the single cylinder dirt bike engines and certainly not short tracks.

Lot's of things to tweak still, suspension, lighten everything up, build covers, and yes, boost.

IMG_0085.JPG

Looks very capable!

I’m wondering how that steering swing is when you get in tight trees. :)

Any video?

B
Feb 4, 2011
I like your thinking Sheetmetalfab. I wasn't sure how the pullback bars would work but I tested them last year on my 520 and ended up running them all season. This is a crucial part of my design. It is the reason that I can stand back on the tunnel where I need to be with the long track.

The pullback bars don't interfere in anyway, they feel perfectly normal. They may even give me a little more leverage which is nice if I'm sidehilling firm or crusty snow.

Here's a fairly lame video of today's test. We don't have much snow to work with here in Central Utah yet:

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/250183006" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Testing Goliath the 950 Powder Pagan from Brett Kobernik on Vimeo.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Can you repost your sprocket shaft extension pictures?
I’m getting the itch to build again.......

Thinking R6 motor..........

VS the 950

Wider engine at the top.
Narrower at the crank.

I can get a complete wrecked bike under a grand.

950’s are gold plated.

Same horsepower as the 950 but 30# lighter motor.
Longer rev range (by 3500 rpm)

Less torque.

Not sure on gear ratios and such.

Last edited:
B
Feb 4, 2011
I totally encourage you Sheetmetalfab. I'm happy to share some photos with folks. I wasn't aware that I could upload image files to Snowest but it appears I can.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I totally encourage you Sheetmetalfab. I'm happy to share some photos with folks but I'm not sure where to store them so they can be viewed on this site. I don't have enough need to pay for a photo storage subscription at this time.

The Snowest website is definitely lagging behind many other forums that provide users the ability to upload photos.

Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

E
Dec 19, 2007
I'd like to see the sprocket extension pics. I was thinking of trying to build a similar set up on one of my home builds. I don't have a paid snowest account but I can still upload pics right to the forum under manage attachments and choose file.

B
Feb 4, 2011
Here's an image of the countershaft extension. It is driven by a double chain off the countershaft. I might have another image somewhere. If not, I'll snap another one when I pull it apart again. I have upgrades to make with this.
attachment.php

IMG_5057.jpg

E
Dec 19, 2007
Sweet thanks! Are those black rings with the pinch bolts a bearing carrier? How are they supported? Does the double chain coupler allow some minor miss alignment of the shafts to be acceptable? I have a bunch of old spare ktm transmissions with counter shafts and was thinking of using one for the jack shaft and weld two cs sprockets together for a coupler but figured it would wear out the cs splines if the alignment wasn't perfect.

Wrenchmaster

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
B.C. Canada
I've seen a coupe pics on instagram of your build, looks awesome. Has anyone tried a ski-doo T-motion skid in a snowbike? Wouldn't it be well suited in this application?

B
Feb 4, 2011
Yep, there are two bearings in those carriers which are welded to the frame. Double chain and sprocket shaft couplers are designed to handle misaligned shafts, much more so than any minor misalignment I have here.

I'm interested in trying a T-motion but actually what I'm really coveting is an EZ Ryde.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Yep, there are two bearings in those carriers which are welded to the frame. Double chain and sprocket shaft couplers are designed to handle misaligned shafts, much more so than any minor misalignment I have here.

I'm interested in trying a T-motion but actually what I'm really coveting is an EZ Ryde.

Good job!
Can you post a pic of how the carriers are welded to the frame?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Utah
I'm interested in trying a T-motion but actually what I'm really coveting is an EZ Ryde.[/QUOTE]

The t-motion will go straight when you lean a little and it will make you turn when you're not leaning. Worked much better once I locked it out.

850 2.jpg

B
Feb 4, 2011
The t-motion will go straight when you lean a little and it will make you turn when you're not leaning. Worked much better once I locked it out.

This is good info to take into consideration. Perhaps all that is needed for better hard pack conditions is a rounded track profile. Once I'm in soft snow, the square track and rigid skid work great.

Premium Features