• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 Exhaust questions - which do you guys prefer??

D

Dizzle

Nov 19, 2012
Oregon
Hey guys! I currently have an SLP pipe and can on my sled and I really don't care for the sound that it makes.

What I'm wanting is tone. Not volume. I think loud cans are unnecessary and obnoxious. Holy **** I sound old haha. My SLP sounds....."tinny" to me if that makes sense. What I'm wanting is something that has a deeper tone to it and I know that might not be obtainable because it's just an 800cc motor.

However, my buddies old XM had a MBRP can on it and although it was stupid loud, the tone on it was clean. Now is that an E-Tec thing or......?

A quick search on Youtube only gave me somewhat of an idea that the GGB "quiet" can might give me what I want. The offerings from Bikeman and MBRP really haven't impressed me but it's hard to get an accurate idea of what they sound like through these little laptop speakers.

What do you guys think? Is my pipe a contributor to the tin sound??

Thanks for the advice gentlemen!

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Tinny is exactly how I'd describe the SLP, but I loved how their full exhaust worked on my 800. I never found an aftermarket can for the 800 that had that nice deep tone I wanted, but HPS was the closest. They're also very good quality and tested to make sure they don't lose power (plus I've seen 3rd party tests to verify that). All the Doos I've owned have got them.

I've seen more issues with GGB cans than anything else, from runability issues to the fact they're just cheaply made and break or rust quickly

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Beware some aftermarket cans do not play well with the slp pipe. Had an Ultra-Q, skinz for my axys as I loved the deep throaty (and relatively quiet) tone the ultra-q had on my Pro, but when I went full SLP pipe the can length / placement had the SLP pipe right up against the cross member / overstructure. Would not fit properly.

So word to the wise - if you can trial-fit it before you buy somehow, to make sure it will fit right with your SLP pipe, do it...

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
I have been running the HPS can on my '18 800 and love it. 5 seasons trouble free, still looks new, sounds great and lightweight.

D

Dizzle

Nov 19, 2012
Oregon
I think the HPS is gonna be my next can assuming I stick with Polaris for my next sled. They kinda have an OEM'ish feel to me and that's what attracts me to them over the others.

Premium Features