• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'14 RMK 800 cluster acting weird, braking changes mode.

K
Jan 19, 2022
Castlegar
So I've done a little searching to no avail. My cluster is acting odd, only the RPMs are off at start-up, sometimes displays 0 sometimes 1800 but she runs, sounds, and performs as expected otherwise. This is what's getting me though, my mode/select buttons do nothing and have been replaced by my brake lever. Yep, every time I hit the brakes my mode changes, and it's not the micro switch. If I lightly pull to trip the switch it doesn't change, only when I engage the brake. Other than that everything is normal. I'm new to working on sleds but not vehicles in general. I've checked:

-Visual on wiring that's easily seen, looks good.
-Fuses, good
-Relay (is there more than one? near the clutch), needs testing but from my understanding I'd have other things not working if it were fried.
-Cleaned all connections*

I've noticed that my connections near the clutch are not in that baggy that comes stock, previous owner just taped them up, that being said a bleeder hose? was pointed right at it. Moved it, cleaned up the mess but problem still persists. One would think if it was a short I'd have bigger problems or blown fuses. I do not have battery/electric start and is stock other than a ridiculously loud can. Any suggestions? So far I've just been going about as normal, just have to tap the brakes a couple times when I want to see temps.

And while I have your attention, my secondary clutch has about an 1/8 - 3/16 of play. Should I address this right away or could one get away with it? I don't have the tools to do it myself and I use the sled 80% access/ski 20% brapping/learning how to ride, not be taken for a ride when the trail ends.

Thanks!

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Check the capacitor.. I had similar issues with my gauge coming on and off..
Also, mine had the battery symbol flashing and a check engine light. It was to the point of the engine bogging on the last ride..
I ordered a new fuel pump and pickup thinking the fuel pump was drawing down the voltage..
I just replaced the capacitor and it runs like a champ again now..
Looks like I have a spare fuel pump, I guess..

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
Maybe the taillight harness is rubbing through under the fuel tank or the tunnel. I’ve had that happen once. Easiest is unplug the bar warmers etc and start playing until you find the one causing the issue. Maybe a bad ground?

Premium Features