• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

7S display joystick knob missing, (5-way UI control button)

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I bought the replacement knob but the problem is once you rip it off, you no longer have the rubber sealed toggle. So I just tossed the replacement. I put some fancy Boeing Black tape over the holes on mine to keep the displays water tight. The replacement is just a press on and if you lost it once you are going to end up losing it again. I don't even see why you need the toggle. My touch screen works with the gloves I wear.

Are you buying black tape on Offerup from the Boeing thieves?

B
Feb 17, 2019
I lost mine too but found it laying in the snow. It doesn’t seem to just snap back in. Maybe I’m just not pushing hard enough on it? Thoughts?

I use the buttons all the time with the touch screen feature turned off. Reason being if the touchscreen is in the on setting every time I wipe snow off the screen it’ll change the screen display to something I don’t want. When I used to leave the touch screen working I’d sometimes inadvertently switch it to the ethanol setting not knowing I did until later. Long story short touch screen mode sucks, and using the buttons with the touchscreen locked out works way better IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
The rubber grommet needs to be pulled back up around it as you press it back on with a pick. Same thing happened to me, found it in the snow.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I super glued my new one on.

I lost mine too but found it laying in the snow. It doesn’t seem to just snap back in. Maybe I’m just not pushing hard enough on it? Thoughts?

I use the buttons all the time with the touch screen feature turned off. Reason being if the touchscreen is in the on setting every time I wipe snow off the screen it’ll change the screen display to something I don’t want. When I used to leave the touch screen working I’d sometimes inadvertently switch it to the ethanol setting not knowing I did until later. Long story short touch screen mode sucks, and using the buttons with the touchscreen locked out works way better IMO.

The rubber grommet needs to be pulled back up around it as you press it back on with a pick. Same thing happened to me, found it in the snow.

Yep shove it on with super glue.
Chase around it with a dental pick.

Better than new.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I guess you don't ride as hard as us Washingtonian boys because mine took the whole rubber boot around it when I tore it off. ?
My remove and glue was on a brand new warranty 7s gauge. (Because my old gauge died and didn’t have the knob)

F
Dec 30, 2019
I lost several last year, even on back to back days. This year both my wife and I are running 7S. Trying this fix. I removed the knob, and dremmelled/filed it down until there was no longer a lip for things to catch on. It’s just a little stick now, and seems to function perfectly. A lot of times I think the tether cord catches under the lip and pulls it off. As someone else mentioned, you get in conditions where there’s a lot of snow accumulating on the screen, the touch function becomes useless, and the snow/water itself can select menus and change settings. We were deep into the backcountry last year, and suddenly my track was erased. It’s nice to be able to lock out the touch function and use the buttons…

4b4bc44f9c5e23342dda6d78108f8744.jpg

91e2c1b728529e1cc0a4fa335f055aea.jpg

Premium Features