• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electric starter shorting out??

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
Anyone else having issues with their electric start? I think mine might be grounding or shorting out and messing with other electrical on the sled.

Symptoms:
Battery fully charged, turn the key to start and it does nothing. Sometimes makes a weird buzzing sound, and the 7s display totally loses power at the same time.

Pull start it and everything works normal but who wants to do that

Try again 10-15 mins later and occasionally it works, but 90% of the time it does the above.

When connected to a battery tender in the garage the tender constantly reports a “fault” and stops trickle charging.

Maybe it’s a bad battery but doesn’t make sense that it would start no problem one time and not even respond the next.

I’ll be taking it in under warranty just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience to report to the dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U
Feb 1, 2013
Loose connection at the Battery terminals? Had a similar experience with my GF's new to us Khaos this year. Picked it up and it wouldn't always crank. Then it stopped working on our first ride. I thought it was strange the battery had died like that. Got it home put it on the charger and got a fault. Pulled up the boots over the terminals and one of the bolts had backed right out.

U
Feb 1, 2013
Also I think the Polaris estart just sucks. Sounds like hell, rattles and shakes. I feel like I owe it an apology every time I start it. Our 18 Cat starts perfect with no complaints.

sanderson

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I just had the same symptoms but mine had some wires that actually burned. Sled was in warm garage and just started smoking. Sled still ran and gauge worked. Dropped at dealer. Gonna need new wiring harness.

Premium Features