• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

300 TPI

E
Dec 19, 2007
Bad example i guess. I was just comparing to a carb. carbs don't get leaner at altitude so the if the factory jets them on the lean side for the epa we don't notice as much because the carb bikes get richer at high altitude.
The "issues" are just bad maps from the factory. 4 years now of tpi and none are perfect even though some people think there is magic in there somewhere... but the carbs were never perfect either without the magic.
The 19s were still pretty lean without a tuner box. The 20s actually seem a little rich at low throttle (finally) they might be able to run good at 120 deg coolant temps.

B
Feb 18, 2009
Bad example i guess. I was just comparing to a carb. carbs don't get leaner at altitude so the if the factory jets them on the lean side for the epa we don't notice as much because the carb bikes get richer at high altitude.
The "issues" are just bad maps from the factory. 4 years now of tpi and none are perfect even though some people think there is magic in there somewhere... but the carbs were never perfect either without the magic.
The 19s were still pretty lean without a tuner box. The 20s actually seem a little rich at low throttle (finally) they might be able to run good at 120 deg coolant temps.

Carbs need to be adjusted for high altitude, they will be way to rich without it. This is course assuming someone coming from very low altitude (midwest -> mountains). In no case period will a TPI run good at 120! It's like a 4T EFI in that the computer thinks the bike is still warming up and sends more fuel. It's the computer map and nothing that can be done unless you can remap the computer or get into the correct temp range the computer sees as normal operating temps. Why KTM decided 160+ was better for TPI who knows but they did and we have to live by it...

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
or go buy $2 worth of resistors to fool it.

might be dynoing today. will see if we can do a run at 160 vs 100 to show how much is left on the table, just for fun

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I made some runs on a 2020 300 XC-W and it always seemed to make a little more power closer to 110-125 than 160. We are only talking a 1/2 hp or so though. However, that is going off the fan gauge which has the sensor in the radiator, not the top of the head. So hard to say how close they are?

Premium Features