• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3 year instead of 4 year warranty now

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I believe that you are correct about higher margins by the manufacturers and most certainly by the dealers.
When I said that input costs always affects selling price, I should have also added that demand/supply are also major influencing factors.
That said, the statement about longer warranty affecting selling price is in fact correct.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Got word today that Polaris is charging a $600 shipping fee on top of your sled cost.
Anyone else hear this?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I love all your guy's conspiracy theories. They all sound great and practical but I think its a little more simple. There is thing called inflation. All the news websites are talking about it. Educate yourselves!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Got word today that Polaris is charging a $600 shipping fee on top of your sled cost.
Anyone else hear this?
They always have. There is nothing new about that.
In the past,, the dealers did not pass that expense along because the market simply would not bear it. Times have changed.
Now what HAS changed is "surcharges" being added by some manufacturers to give the illusion that the MSRP hasn't increased as much as it actually has. That is deceptive trickery bullsh!t.

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
They matched what Ski doo offers. Not really a surprise
I love all your guy's conspiracy theories. They all sound great and practical but I think its a little more simple. There is thing called inflation. All the news websites are talking about it. Educate yourselves!
It's not a conspiracy and it's not just inflation.

Car manufacturers are making record profits - why? The demand has allowed them to increase margins despite increasing costs. Doo and Poo are doing the same thing. Their margins are increasing more than their costs = more profit. Here's an excerpt from one article:

More than 80% of U.S. car buyers paid above MSRP in January, according to auto market research firm Edmunds. That compares with less than 3% who paid a premium the same month a year ago and 0.3% in 2020. The average additional cost to consumers was $728, with some buyers of the most popular car models paying markups of as much as $10,000.

Doo and Poo may sell fewer sleds in 2023, but their profits will increase.

Many companies are using the inflation excuse to raise prices beyond the price increases they are actually experiencing. That's greed, capitalism, whatever you want to call it. The result for the consumer is still the same, we're all paying more.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
It's not fair to condemn the dealers for marketing their products at a higher level.

Simple math scenario....
A dealership typically sells one hundred units at an average profit of $1,000
Now shortages mean they will only receive fifty units. Dealer must now make $2,000 on average to maintain the same profits. These profits are relied upon to pay staff, utilities, taxes, insurance, business growth and charities.

We should want our dealerships to prosper, but many here talk like they resent it.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
I'm all for paying a reasonable price to a good dealer who goes the extra mile. They deserve to make money, and I'm not the guy who plays nickel and dime on price.

But what sucks is the OEMs able to dial back a commitment to stand behind a product because the market demand is so high. Consumers will buy sleds anyway (including me) but this trend isn't better for anyone but Polaris. Dealers make money on parts and labor regardless of whether it's warrantied or owner's cash.

So, one more reduction in snow check value, along with a higher sale price.

Speed-Demon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 25, 2020
AK
$700 for me this year. Snow checked last three years and this is first time I’ve been charged for shipping. Brought it up to dealer and was told basically what mafesto said, less sleds to sell, less money to be made to maintain business. This was probably a blanket proposition to all dealers, directly from Polaris, to make up for lost costs this coming year.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
600 bucks shipping does not make me mad, over $ 2.00 a litter for 87 and $2.22 for 91 sure does.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Also, when there are fewer truck drivers, there is higher demand and cost goes up. So the shipping costs will increase, and probably won't get absorbed by the dealer- especially if it's a hard cost invoiced by the OEM vs. a soft cost that enables a consumer line item/markup.

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
my guess is they looked at the demand for sleds, and looked at how much that 4th year of warranty was costing them.. and decided to axe it knowing it wouldn't hurt sales.
I honestly found it surprising they ever offered 4 years on such a high performance, high failure machine. Sure it was nice to have when your the consumer - but I certainly wouldn't want to be the business carrying that warranty!

Premium Features