• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

24 lynx shedder RE review

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I haven't got my 2024 RE in deep snow yet. We keep getting snow during the work week then it rains/freezing rains on the weekend and wrecks it all lol.

Didn't notice my 2022 Boondocker(gen4) having any issues though I loved that thing. But my only other sled I have owned was 2014 Summit . and I suck anyway so who knows what I'll think of the new one.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
What type of terrain and riding were you doing that the Lynx didn’t perform in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trees …. Specifically side hills …. It was fine in the open terrain and deep snow and soaked up bumps well but it was almost impossible to stick a line on an off camber side hill through the trees ….. it would wallow all over the place and trench and wash out, etc ….. it still kinda has those tendencies inherent to the skidoo chassis at its core but with the suspension and front end mods it’s at least dialed the worst of that out of it IMO

M7sleddn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Twin Falls, Id
I have a 22 DS and a 24 DS. I have not been on an RE. But watching Bergmark and Rosco ride the RE is amazing. But I think you have to ride like them to really make the RE work because it is heavy. That is why I got the DS. The only stock sled out there with a better suspension than the DS is the RE. I have adjusted the suspension a fair amount and I do not think the DS trenches anymore than the Polaris or the cat. I sold a freeride to get the 24 and I like the lynx rear skid in all situations more than the freeride. The new track works really well. In riding the 22 and 24 back to back i think the new sled gets up on the snow better. It is a little hard to tell how much the turbo helps though. I actually really like the 34" front end which I was worried about. I like riding everything. Meadows, hill c!imbing, mellow trees, tight trees.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
I have a 22 DS and a 24 DS. I have not been on an RE. But watching Bergmark and Rosco ride the RE is amazing. But I think you have to ride like them to really make the RE work because it is heavy. That is why I got the DS. The only stock sled out there with a better suspension than the DS is the RE. I have adjusted the suspension a fair amount and I do not think the DS trenches anymore than the Polaris or the cat. I sold a freeride to get the 24 and I like the lynx rear skid in all situations more than the freeride. The new track works really well. In riding the 22 and 24 back to back i think the new sled gets up on the snow better. It is a little hard to tell how much the turbo helps though. I actually really like the 34" front end which I was worried about. I like riding everything. Meadows, hill c!imbing, mellow trees, tight trees.

Yeah I feel the DS is a better sled that fits more riding styles than the RE. It think it would address these issues the guys are having with the RE.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Trees …. Specifically side hills …. It was fine in the open terrain and deep snow and soaked up bumps well but it was almost impossible to stick a line on an off camber side hill through the trees ….. it would wallow all over the place and trench and wash out, etc ….. it still kinda has those tendencies inherent to the skidoo chassis at its core but with the suspension and front end mods it’s at least dialed the worst of that out of it IMO

I wonder if those Elevate spindles really help that front end from wanting to go up and wash the back end out

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I wonder if those Elevate spindles really help that front end from wanting to go up and wash the back end out

I didn't put the Ice Age Elevate ones on, I went with ZRP .... I think if I had it to do over again, I would have gone with the Ice Age ones ... With that said, the ZRP spindles did provide a noticible difference in dialing the weirdness out of the sled on off-camber side-hills. Is it as good as my old Axys was just planting and sticking side hills? No, but after doing the 34" front end and the ZRP spindles I at least don't want to sell the sled any more.

I keep hearing that the Slydog skis (again as M7Sleddin said above) are money well spent on this chassis .... I may go ahead and order a pair of them and try them out and see if thats the icing on the cake so to speak.

IMO, its always cool to make a sled work and sometimes you have to dink with them to do that, but quite frankly buying a brand new $22,000 snowmobile then having to turn right around spend spend $5,000 on suspension mods to get it to handle how a Matryx does right out of the box is flippin' ridiculous IMO ..... My $0.02.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Slydog attack ski make it handle like a totally different sled also. Much better.
Totally agree on the Slydogs. Their ski rubber isn’t very durable though. Less than three hundred miles on these. One side I hit a stump, but nothing that I can think of on the other side and it looks tough.
I didn't put the Ice Age Elevate ones on, I went with ZRP .... I think if I had it to do over again, I would have gone with the Ice Age ones ... With that said, the ZRP spindles did provide a noticible difference in dialing the weirdness out of the sled on off-camber side-hills. Is it as good as my old Axys was just planting and sticking side hills? No, but after doing the 34" front end and the ZRP spindles I at least don't want to sell the sled any more.

I keep hearing that the Slydog skis (again as M7Sleddin said above) are money well spent on this chassis .... I may go ahead and order a pair of them and try them out and see if thats the icing on the cake so to speak.

IMO, its always cool to make a sled work and sometimes you have to dink with them to do that, but quite frankly buying a brand new $22,000 snowmobile then having to turn right around spend spend $5,000 on suspension mods to get it to handle how a Matryx does right out of the box is flippin' ridiculous IMO ..... My $0.02.
If you order the Sly Do skis order your self some extra ski rubbers with, because they don’t last long. These have less than 300 miles on. The one on the right did take a stump hit pretty hard.IMG_5449.jpeg

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO

Ross' videos lately have been awesome ... I really hope Lynx takes some constructive criticism from everyone and changes the stock configuration of the sleds to match what the more aggressive north american riders are doing and markets as such accordingly .... if they did that, they'd have a real winner for the more experienced aggressive riders looking for a sled they didn't have to **** with IMO :)

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask

Seeing Ross’s vids on it he does a lot of work and money to make it his sled the way he wants it to handle. But not sure Why would you buy a Lynx in hoping it would handle like a Matryx. Seems easier and cheaper to just buy the Polaris is that’s what you want for handling

J
Jul 20, 2008
I have a 23 re 154 3’ and hated it last year, took cash on our first trip to Colorado this year figuring I was going to trade it in on expert turbo. But Took a set of skidoo ds3 skis off an 18 154, stiffened up springs and clickers on front end and softened Rear. Went out in really good Colorado snow couple weeks ago and machine was awesome. No pitch or feedback crossing from fresh snow thru tracks, wheelies for days, super fun sled. Polaris die hard got on it off of his boost even rode it and liked it. Simple changes huge difference. I can get exact settings post them up if anybody wants

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
So here is my 1000 mile update.

24 DS Shredder turbo, 4100. 3" powder lite track with Shot start and Slydog Attack. Season riding revelstoke to Sicamous BC.

I have struggled with this thing and it's trenching.... specifically in pow. If there is a tough base, the sled works really well.

This thing is a water truck at slow speeds. Don't expect it to go anywhere just poking around. It feels like from a stop it has a set of elastic bands attached to a tree behind you. It just doesn't want to pop out of the snow, trenches hard and digs a big hole before launching forward. Its a 50/50 shot of stuck vs moving. I have exhausted the options on the stock suspension to make it work consistently. My benchmark comparison sleds are bone stock 24 154 and 165 expert turbos. Those sleds shoot out of the snow in comparison from a dead stop. The doos grab traction and just work from a stop.

My single biggest question is the design of the rear scissor arms. I am convinced the outside arm design is dragging through the snow especially in slow speed maneuvers and funneling snow into the skid like a boat taking on water. Every stuck I have, the skid in completely rammed full of rock hard compacted snow, and it doesnt clear itself until you are jamming. I have jumped back and forth on the 24 experts and them on mine, and the consensus is the same. From a stop, it feels like the sled is dragging something in the snow hold it back. Once moving, and rocking, the sled works extremely well. Very precise and goes where you want.

I'd really like to see an aftermarket rear arm get developed with a traditional shape... I really feel this is the limiting factor to these working well in very deep snow.

Thoughts?

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I went from a 2022 4100 Boondocker to a 2024 3900 Turbo Shredder RE this season.

Finally have got the 3900 in some pow. I have trenched it in a few times in spots I didn't think should have been any problem. Usually one after another too. But didn't do it once today. So I don't know that I can tell this trenching problem people speak of.

"This thing is a water truck at slow speeds." Yea I'm noticing that too, something about it feels harder to turn than my 2022 4100.. I don't know what it is. My shoulders get worked.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
I went from a 2022 4100 Boondocker to a 2024 3900 Turbo Shredder RE this season.

Finally have got the 3900 in some pow. I have trenched it in a few times in spots I didn't think should have been any problem. Usually one after another too. But didn't do it once today. So I don't know that I can tell this trenching problem people speak of.

"This thing is a water truck at slow speeds." Yea I'm noticing that too, something about it feels harder to turn than my 2022 4100.. I don't know what it is. My shoulders get worked.
my kid has the 22 4100 like you had and after riding that sled last year is the reason i ordered one but i went with the re and those 2 sleds are nothing alike i can tell you. he can creep around anywhere and i am always stuck.

Premium Features