• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

##2021 Season Low snow mod update-video##Another (better?) no weld solution for tunnel shortening.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
End of season update: I will be doing another little modification to help with the spring hardpack temperature regulation. I'll take photos when I do it.

I have a 2021 Khaos 165" on the way. I have a new MTNTK 5' cooler coming for it also. If you are interested, I'm a dealer for MTNTK.

A shortened tunnel, with the IceAge Khaos rails completely transforms the feel of a ProRMK. Way more playful/ fun. I just became a dealer for IceAge because I believe in the geometry change so much.
Did you also change your front track shock to match the length of the Khaos? My son just finished install IAR and Z-bros shocks all the way around on his 20' Pro. CAn't wait to ride and see the difference between that and my 19' 3". Do you agree with some of the reviews the Khaos geomoetry is easier to throw around? - Or just purely more fun the effort factor is not really measurable?

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
Great idea - curious how much - or if any integrity is lost with cutting and not re-welding. Although I can't imagine the plastic inserts on the MTN tek kit add any type of strength either.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Great idea - curious how much - or if any integrity is lost with cutting and not re-welding. Although I can't imagine the plastic inserts on the MTN tek kit add any type of strength either.
Definitely needs the reinforcement!!! The cooler extrusion creates a box structure to stiffen the tunnel with additional stiffening provided by the flap bracket. Would not try riding without - asking for trouble.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Is whats pictured - salvaged from cutting your tunnel? Any additional added material to strengthen?

Yes, snow flap holder endcap removed and reinstalled after tunnel cut. No additional material other than BMFab rear bumper.

Did you also change your front track shock to match the length of the Khaos? My son just finished install IAR and Z-bros shocks all the way around on his 20' Pro. CAn't wait to ride and see the difference between that and my 19' 3". Do you agree with some of the reviews the Khaos geomoetry is easier to throw around? - Or just purely more fun the effort factor is not really measurable?

Ice age 163" rails. Raptor Khaos conversion kit (longer limiter strap, longer shock eyelet)

The lighter ski pressure does make the sled feel easier to throw around-- it is most noticeable in direction changes in the trees (specifically downhill uturns in the trees)

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Definitely needs the reinforcement!!! The cooler extrusion creates a box structure to stiffen the tunnel with additional stiffening provided by the flap bracket. Would not try riding without - asking for trouble.

I would agree with you if I was running the stock rear bumper. I ran this setup in excess of 2,000 miles last season-- including failed re-entrys and other tail landing induced manouever fails. I have ZERO reservations about running this setup in 2021.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

With a BM fab bumper you wouldn’t even need the snowflap bracket.

Could leave the extrusions wide open.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Great solution for shorting the tunnel with the added benefit of actually improving your cooling capacity. I have a 165 Khaos coming and really want to shorten the tunnel but not loose cooling capacity as I will be running a turbo. Few questions are you using the Bm fab 155 bumper? With the stock cooler no longer being used and ends left open did you have much water/ice build up inside the stock cooler?

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Great solution for shorting the tunnel with the added benefit of actually improving your cooling capacity. I have a 165 Khaos coming and really want to shorten the tunnel but not loose cooling capacity as I will be running a turbo. Few questions are you using the Bm fab 155 bumper? With the stock cooler no longer being used and ends left open did you have much water/ice build up inside the stock cooler?

Use the 163/165 length BMFab bumper. Install the side plates on full length lunnel and then cut it all at the same time-- that way the bottom taper lines up.

Instead of snow buildup in the middle, there is some on the unheated stock cooler-- still buildup just in a different place. Seems no better/ no worse.

I am both a BMFab and MTNTK dealer if you (or anyone else--U.S. based buyers) is interested.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
Use the 163/165 length BMFab bumper. Install the side plates on full length lunnel and then cut it all at the same time-- that way the bottom taper lines up.

Instead of snow buildup in the middle, there is some on the unheated stock cooler-- still buildup just in a different place. Seems no better/ no worse.

I am both a BMFab and MTNTK dealer if you (or anyone else--U.S. based buyers) is interested.

Thank you for all your info - Getting ready to do this on my 163 3" - will add a BM fab rear bumper. Are you referring to install the buyer and then cut at the same time as cutting the tunnel? Then did you re-weld the BM Fab bumper?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Thank you for all your info - Getting ready to do this on my 163 3" - will add a BM fab rear bumper. Are you referring to install the buyer and then cut at the same time as cutting the tunnel? Then did you re-weld the BM Fab bumper?

The BM fab bumper referred to has a bolted on grab handle.

The sides are shipped loose.

(Attach then cut, then drill and bolt on grab handle)

Premium Features