• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cut Your Tunnel Without Welding It Back Together

MTNTK

Premium Member
Nov 5, 2009
Ashton, ID
mtntkperformance.com
MTNTK Performance is pleased to announce new for the 2020 snow season the MTNTK Performance Tunnel Cut – Tunnel Shortening Kit. As snowmobilers search for the ultimate in riding performance any modifications that decrease drag and improve handling in the snow are paramount. Reduction of drag at the rear of the sled by shortening the tunnel and or the snow flap is a current trend among the bravest to get the most out of their machine. By reducing the amount of the chassis that could potentially drag in the snow the sled handling is improved especially when performing advanced maneuvers on the hill such as side-hilling, and reentry turns especially in deep loose snow. The MTNTK Performance Tunnel Cut – Tunnel Shortening Kit allows owners of Polaris mountain chassis snowmobiles model years 2011 thru 2020 to perform the modification without welding. Currently Polaris uses a welded extrusion heat exchanger that doubles as the chassis tunnel support and structure. Any modification to this structure also modifies the cooling system and potential for leaks becomes evident. The MTNTK Performance Tunnel Cut – Tunnel Shortening Kit allow the customer to shorten the tunnel without the need for specialized welding or cutting tools and allows for a professional finished appearance, enhancing the snowmobile in the process.
Features and benefits:
  • Allows shortening of the chassis/tunnel with common and basic tools.
  • Completes the cooling system circuit crossover without any welding.
  • Does not automatically require different cooling system strategies i.e. additional coolers, etc.
  • Allows customers to add additional cooling if they so desire i.e. MTNTK Tunnel Cooler, etc.
  • Strengthens the tail of the tunnel and replaces the tunnel cap with a stronger and more durable assembly that is designed to handle track contact that can be more common when cutting the tunnel.
  • Allows the use of the stock bumper or most any aftermarket bumper designed to work with the stock tunnel.
  • Two positions for the stock bumper are built into the design, OEM distance from the bumper to the flap and Retracted which is 1” tighter for the ultimate in reducing overall length.
  • Less expensive and far less labor intensive than any other solution on the market with an install time of approximately 2 hrs. excluding sealant cure time.
  • Two snow flap mounting positions allow the mounting of the OEM Polaris 2.6 track flap in the original placement or the install of many aftermarket or custom snow flaps in both the original placement or in a horizontal placement for additional snow clearance.
This kit was designed as a reasonable cost solution to shorten the tunnel on late model Polaris snowmobiles. The basics to installing the kit are as follows in a few simple steps: draining the coolant, cutting the tunnel off square with no complicated cuts, cleaning and deburring, installing the extrusion adapters with adhesive and cross over hose, installing the tunnel cap/ hose protector, and refilling the cooling system.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Only concern is if it adds some restriction to the cooling system?

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
That’s a nice way to do it. I was hoping someone would come out with something like this. How do you seal the plastic inserts from leaking? Adding a extra tunnel cooler will be super simple with this kit!!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
If anything it would be less restrictive.
Its sleeving inside, so defiately going to reduce cross section of the cooler heading into the cap section, is it enough to matter? who knows.

Stock cooler is cut/welded at an angle to help with flow since angles mean restriction so you need bonus cross section to accommodation that. Again, this is more just fluid dynamics stuff rolling around in my brain, not necessarily real world demands/requirements, just thinking out loud. Curious to learn more on it.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
i was exited but the price calmed me down, i legitely expected half that. Welding it is then

Still a damn nice product tho!
way to go mtntk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
i was exited but the price calmed me down, i legitely expected half that. Welding it is then

Still a damn nice product tho!
way to go mtntk

$300.00 doesn’t go far towards R&D, manufacturing and marketing/ delivery.

You do realize real people produce these things?

They are paid wages, the company pays taxes, utilities, insurance, workers comp etc?

Especially considering the small target market?

I cut and welded my tunnel myself with zero out of pocket cost. (14 years experience welding aluminum)

If this product was available before i had done it I would have paid the $300 and considered it a deal.........

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Didn’t you say you wouldnt do that job for someone else for less than $800 sheetmetalfab?

I think $300 is reasonable, you sure as chit arent gonna make yourself a kit that clean for less than that.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
With every solution there's drawbacks, not trying to start a debate or stop anyone to buy, you still have to cut it yourself and you can get a weld job from a pro at 300$. Also the risk or ripping the hose off riding comes into mind. extra restriction have been mentioned already too

that's my opinion, maybe this winter will prove me wrong, i've been wrong before.

"talk in good or bad as long as you talk about it"

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
With every solution there's drawbacks, not trying to start a debate or stop anyone to buy, you still have to cut it yourself and you can get a weld job from a pro at 300$. Also the risk or ripping the hose off riding comes into mind. extra restriction have been mentioned already too

that's my opinion, maybe this winter will prove me wrong, i've been wrong before.

"talk in good or bad as long as you talk about it"
That hose gets covered, doesnt look like that will be an issue.

DBRK

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2008
Bozeman MT
I think the price is quite reasonable compared to the work involved to fit up and reweld. I was planning on cutting and welding my 850 when it shows up, but I would rather buy this kit and avoid welding especially since the tunnel is painted.

I doubt the flow restriction is significant, but it does seem like you would lose some cooling capacity across the back of the tunnel where the most snow is kicked up for cooling. Not sure if that would make a noticeable difference between a tunnel that was cut and rewelded though.

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
They make a couple aftermarket coolers. Seems like a great add to splice in a narrow u-cooler from the the cross over hose to get that lost coolant back or even add a couple feet for additional cooling.

T
Sep 10, 2009
I am interested in this question as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only concern is the loss of cooling surface area. It seems that a lot of the snow being thrown up into the tunnel ends up at the rear on that crossover to provide cooling. I've ridden with a few guys with 163 in 155 length welded tunnels and they get SIGNIFICANTLY hotter than a stock length tunnel riding to and from the riding areas on the trail.

Love the idea, just not interested in being a test dummy on my sled...

Premium Features