• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 850 Khaos leaking oil tank

go-on-two

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bc canada
Was out for a ride last weekend, after returning home to do after ride inspection found that i had oil all over the plastics and belly pan full of oil...Cleaned it all up and looked for the obvious, figured it came from crappy cap to tank tolerance....so i wrapped a rag around the cap to catch oil on next ride. This weekend deep snow and great day till about 30 minutes into ride belt started slipping real bad, popped the side panel and oil everywhere again on clutchs and drive belt....cooked the belt. Not a drop from the oil cap as the rag and top of tank were dry, seems the grommet that feeds the line at the bottom of the tank is leaking??
So on goes the spare belt and my is day ruined along with two belts...WTF Anyone else have issues with this??

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I don't know but i have one you can have if you need it. Just pay shipping. Put a skinz tank on my wife's kaos. Has cap just not breather. Had to use it. Going to be gone to alpine for a week. So it would have to be after that.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Was out for a ride last weekend, after returning home to do after ride inspection found that i had oil all over the plastics and belly pan full of oil...Cleaned it all up and looked for the obvious, figured it came from crappy cap to tank tolerance....so i wrapped a rag around the cap to catch oil on next ride. This weekend deep snow and great day till about 30 minutes into ride belt started slipping real bad, popped the side panel and oil everywhere again on clutchs and drive belt....cooked the belt. Not a drop from the oil cap as the rag and top of tank were dry, seems the grommet that feeds the line at the bottom of the tank is leaking??
So on goes the spare belt and my is day ruined along with two belts...WTF Anyone else have issues with this??

I’ve seen blown belts or sloppy mechanics pop the oil line out 1/8” and make it leak.

Push it in and good to go.

go-on-two

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bc canada
The reddish-orange Rubber grommet for the feed line is the culprit, everything was seated properly...I did manage to remove the tank in the field and get a set of vise grips on the grommet and turn it about 180* which nearly stopped the leaking and I was able to ride very gingerly for a bit. Unfortunately the oil everywhere was wreaking havoc on the clutch and belts causing way to much slipping to continue riding hard.
Thought I would mention this for folks that may be experiencing something similar and avoid them losing an awesome snow day!!!

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
C
Mar 27, 2009
The reddish-orange Rubber grommet for the feed line is the culprit, everything was seated properly...I did manage to remove the tank in the field and get a set of vise grips on the grommet and turn it about 180* which nearly stopped the leaking and I was able to ride very gingerly for a bit. Unfortunately the oil everywhere was wreaking havoc on the clutch and belts causing way to much slipping to continue riding hard.
Thought I would mention this for folks that may be experiencing something similar and avoid them losing an awesome snow day!!!
What was the final fix, did you replace the tank? I have the same problem on a brand new matryx

Premium Features