• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Milky Oil in Belly Pan,,,, and everywhere.

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Can find tons of threads talking about milky oil in the nose cone, but nothing comes up for a milky oil slick in the belly pan.

Just had hood off to put on Pro-tectair and nose was dry. Couple rides later and as I’m picking out my belt schrapnel from belt drive I see boat loads of milky oil in belly pan and some on exhaust side. Pile of milky oil in bed of truck as well.

Pull everything apart and I can’t find any signs of a leak, throttle bodies are dry, reed area is dry. Couple oil lines under TB’s are oily-ish but not dripping or anything to the extent of whats in pan and in bed of truck. It’s hard to pinpoint an area it could be originating from because it’s all over.

Anyone experienced this and find anything I’m missing??

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
That's a weird one, the milky film only comes from one thing. Since you don't have oil in the chain case it can only be from the injection oil. I would get some brake clean and do a through cleaning. Then start looking for a leak its coming from somewhere? Good luck and please post your findings.

L
Nov 25, 2018
Agreed, clean it all up and start over. Things change when motor is under load/pressure so you might see something as you start it up or run the track and start forcing more pressure into the system.

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
Can find tons of threads talking about milky oil in the nose cone, but nothing comes up for a milky oil slick in the belly pan.

Just had hood off to put on Pro-tectair and nose was dry. Couple rides later and as I’m picking out my belt schrapnel from belt drive I see boat loads of milky oil in belly pan and some on exhaust side. Pile of milky oil in bed of truck as well.

Pull everything apart and I can’t find any signs of a leak, throttle bodies are dry, reed area is dry. Couple oil lines under TB’s are oily-ish but not dripping or anything to the extent of whats in pan and in bed of truck. It’s hard to pinpoint an area it could be originating from because it’s all over.

Anyone experienced this and find anything I’m missing??
One of the alpha riders in a group I was riding with last Feb lost several exhaust manafold bolts in the belly pan and got a major leak out in the middle of no where. Has to limp it back and it ruined the whole day of riding. Checked mine after getting back and mine were loose as well, only had 200 mile on the sled. We both were riding 2020 800's

F
Nov 30, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I had a oil line that was not real tight on a nipple fitting. The oil seemed to be turning into a mist and it was all over. Just a super light film. It was dang near impossible to see it leak even after knowing the exact location. Clean the crud and look for a tight oil line.
I can only speculate, but it probably leaked most when the motor was torqued in my case.
BTW, it had reached my clutches and belt. Belts don't give you good news in that situation.

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
So, looks like the line from tank to crank got pinch somehow and cut open under the black protective wrap (mag side in pic). Guess is that the oil was all over wiring including the coolant sensor and maybe started shorting it out or altering the resistance it reads in turn making it think the engine was cold all the time.

Mechanic threw in a new sensor and oil line (sensors b/o’d a while but turns out same sensor in sxs, quads etc so pilfered one from crated machine) and appears to read normal now. Going up today so will find out.

Note that cat calls for an engine pull to swap this sensor which is at bottom back of engine. You can however drill out metal of belly pan and access from there. Extended warranty just paid for itself this year as dealer booked ~$900 for this job.

E9B31269-33D0-4088-8EDC-7C9D179DDA16.jpeg

Premium Features