• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 Khaos 800 coolant leak

S
Mar 22, 2022
Truckee, ca
Hi,
I've got a 2020 khaos 800 that developed a serious coolant leak on the way out from riding while coming down a moderately bumpy fireroad the other day. I can't tell exactly where the leak is coming from but I can see coolant showing up on the top front of track on the brake side of the sled. I have investigated all of the fittings and hoses I can access from the engine compartment and have pulled the fuel tank to check the inlet/outlet nipples to the tunnel heat exchanger. All of that seems to be fine.
The coolant bottle holds a level until the sled gets to about 100degrees on the screen, then dumps all of the coolant. I am guessing this is when the thermostat opens. So no leak with thermostat closed.
The heat exchanger looks ok from what I can tell with the track still on... Any suggestions on other places to look before I take the track off?
Is removing the track the best place to start with this?
I haven't been able to see the thermostat fittings and housing yet (the chaincase is in the way) but that seems like it would be too low in the engine bay to be causing a leak that shows up on the top front of the track.
Any advise would be appreciated, I've never pulled a track before and although it doesn't seem to complicated I would rather not do it unless I have to.

Thanks!

S
Mar 22, 2022
Truckee, ca
Update...
Found the leak, it was from a ski rack I had mounted using the accessory mounting rails on the tunnel. I guess the leverage from skis bouncing on a bumpy road was enough to create a 1.5" crack in the top tunnel/heat exchanger inside the rail area.
So my next question...
What is the best way to repair this crack?
I don't think it is possible to weld where the crack is (inside the rail, upper corner). So I will need to use some kind of epoxy. Is there a particular type of epoxy or adhesive that works well in this application? it will need to handle the heat expansion and contraction of the tunnel?

Thanks!

T
Apr 14, 2014
I would find someone who is cabable of welding it. All that has to be done is use a die grinder to remove the edge of the accessory rail a little longer then the crack is and then weld it up. It would be easier then doing the weld in short tunnels. I don’t think that epoxy is a good long term fix. My glue in tunnel cut kit failed within 100 miles of install and I have a couple buddies who’s glue in kits have failed at the epoxy multiple times each.

S
Mar 22, 2022
Truckee, ca
Thanks for the reply. I already cut out the lip on the top of the t track to expose the crack and had it welded up. So far so good!

I also had some brackets welded onto my ski rack so that I could bolt the rack to the sides of the tunnel instead of continuing to using the polaris accessory tracks. Those tracks are not capable of withstanding the amount of force that gets put on them from a ski rack with skis on it. Bouncing around on bumpy trails and getting rolled on deep days puts a ton of leverage onto the T-bolts in the track. I would recomend that anybody using a ski rack looks into additional anchor points through the sides of the tunnel for a little added security. I was lucky and didn't get a massive coolant leak until the end of a day riding when we were within 1/4mile of the trailer. If this same thing had happened way back in somewhere it could have been a huge issue to get the sled out.

Premium Features