• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017???

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I to don't understand why so many people want to dump the zuke for something new just to have "new". I could see it if the zuke was struggling to compete with the other brands, but when you have the most reliable and most powerful engine on the market why not hang on to it as long as you can. At least until it starts becoming obsolete to the competition, which hasn't happened yet. However we all know the zuke is disappearing soon, but at least we have yamaha involved so there is definitely hope that cat don't go backwards in the engine department

Eventually cat will have to dump the zuke, thanks to the EPA clown show. But it's arguably the best two stroke 800 in production. Some of the reason Doo and poo don't make more power is because they are meeting emissions and when cat comes out with a new engine I doubt it will have more power for the same reason. You can only put so much fuel in a 800 and meet emissions without some boost.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Some of the reason Doo and poo don't make more power is because they are meeting emissions and when cat comes out with a new engine I doubt it will have more power for the same reason. You can only put so much fuel in a 800 and meet emissions without some boost.

Is that really true though? I don't really think of the e-tec 800 being 'weaker' than the zuke, it just comes on smoother and lacks punch. I know the peak HP numbers are close enough that it's kind of a wash on paper. I know I prefer the way the zuke runs.

Isn't that more of a mapping/timing though? Honest question.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Two days after the announcement and you already know it's more reliable?

Sweet!

It certainly looks awesome. But so did that axys motor before it started losing rpms for god knows what reason.

Still, the best thing about that 850 e-tec: at least it's mounted in the middle of the freakin sled.

Why are you even talking about the Doo? I didnt say a word about. You guys are like a bunch of old guys on a church board, totally resistive to any change.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
the refinements cat did for the 2017 Mountain Cat are subtle in comparison to what doo and poo did but it has made a big difference!
in reality the proclimb is the chassis to beat in the mountains, great marketing has most people thinking that poo has the greatest mountain sled. :juggle:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Why are you even talking about the Doo? I didnt say a word about. You guys are like a bunch of old guys on a church board, totally resistive to any change.

Because skidoo announced their new stuff and cat hasn't yet:face-icon-small-ton

I'm not resistant to change at all.....I've never even owned two consecutive sleds from the same company. I just want to make sure whatever it is I buy actually works first.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
the refinements cat did for the 2017 Mountain Cat are subtle in comparison to what doo and poo did but it has made a big difference!
in reality the proclimb is the chassis to beat in the mountains, great marketing has most people thinking that poo has the greatest mountain sled. :juggle:

you think the proclimb is the chassis to beat in the mountains? why? I agree its better than it used to be. but its heavy, wide bodied, stinky/smoky, and lacking tech. Motor runs good no doubt, but its in the rear view in every other category. Not to mention AC is the worst run company of the 4 mfg, and thus the dealer network is crap.

I'm serious though, i'm curiuos to know why you think the Proclimb is the chassis to beat?

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
NEW SLEDS

as for the best sled, at this point in time all three makers of 800 class sleds are the best sleds. so really what is "the best" who decides that. No one thats who its up to the person riding it . We can all get better at our rider skill that would be the biggest factor.
All we can rate is failures.well we can rate power also but they are all close.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
you think the proclimb is the chassis to beat in the mountains? why? I agree its better than it used to be. but its heavy, wide bodied, stinky/smoky, and lacking tech. Motor runs good no doubt, but its in the rear view in every other category. Not to mention AC is the worst run company of the 4 mfg, and thus the dealer network is crap.

I'm serious though, i'm curiuos to know why you think the Proclimb is the chassis to beat?

Ride one. You'll know why.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

Best suspension, best track, good handling in all snow conditions, most predictable, holds it's line with little effort, can take a beating (not just talking hitting stuff under the snow either), and is a great platform to build a mod sled on if one so chooses.

The only area, IMO, that Polaris is ahead of it stock for stock is on a very steep side hill that very few riders would even want to try.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.

First, i have not rode the Axys, i am only speaking of the Pro rmk.
The Pro and Summit are both great sleds, i would enjoy riding both of them just not as fun as the Mountain Cat.

I make my decisions from my own personal experience.
I will ride any brand, am not loyal to any.
Ride them all in all types of terrain then choose the best overall handling.
I am not talking about QC fit and finish, I'll give that to Doo.
I am not talking about high tech, again let Doo have that.
Poo has the lightest 'shop' sled.
That means when ur in the shop it will be easier to move around.
I agree that every pound of weight u take off the sled or person riding it, the sled will climb higher and get to maximum speed quicker, simple physics.

The proclimb is the lightest 'riding' sled.
No that doesn't mean it holds less snow than the Poo and Doo(although it really does), it means when riding, it responds with much less energy from the rider than the others, complicated physics.

Overall performance the Cat wins.

Best track.
Great motor.
Decent suspension.

The Poo will sidehill steeper slopes.
For most riders i can see the Poo as an easier sled to ride because it is so planted. U can move around a little on the sled without it changing direction so that straight line ur looking for is still straight. The Cat moves with every move u make so u must pay more attention to ur whole body to keep it straight.
Cat is Easier for fast changing technical riding.

GS6

FarmerTimBob

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2014

I like the stinky/smoky part. I wish I had cologne that smelled of 2-stroke, not a better smell. What tech is it lacking? An oversized speedometer with GPS? I agree with the dealer part tho, seems they need some help in dealer relations.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Im sad to say.... i joined the dark side today. Well its not really that dark as most of their sleds are clown colours.

There is no denying a mod motor cat is the hardest pulling sled for the buck and i love the 800 motor , in the same breath you have to agree cat is in last place in quality build. They have been left behind by even polaris. Now this stuff doesn't usually mean much to me as we are talking about a toy i try to crash thru trees on but after seeing how the doo makes the cat look like a 10 year old design i just had to try it.
I don't know what ill do with all my tools now....

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Im sad to say.... i joined the dark side today. Well its not really that dark as most of their sleds are clown colours.

There is no denying a mod motor cat is the hardest pulling sled for the buck and i love the 800 motor , in the same breath you have to agree cat is in last place in quality build. They have been left behind by even polaris. Now this stuff doesn't usually mean much to me as we are talking about a toy i try to crash thru trees on but after seeing how the doo makes the cat look like a 10 year old design i just had to try it.
I don't know what ill do with all my tools now....

Just keep'm. You'll see the error in your ways and will be back on a cat in 18.....LOL!!

The new doo is one of the first sleds I've really wanted to demo ride. I'm hoping that is possible at Expo but not holding my breath; been to damn warm. If a demo ride goes well and their is no disasters on the 17s, I easily could see myself buying a Doo in 18.

It will have to be very damn impressive though, because I'm digging this 16 cat; so it will take a ton to get me to jump ship.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I like the stinky/smoky part. I wish I had cologne that smelled of 2-stroke, not a better smell. What tech is it lacking? An oversized speedometer with GPS? I agree with the dealer part tho, seems they need some help in dealer relations.

Each of the sled mfg's do something better than their competitor, so the question what tech is lacking is very simple, yet very complex. The simple answer would be "a lot". An oversized speedo with gps.... I'm very disappointed Polaris is the only one with a functional system here, but maybe i'm wrong for liking a clutch tuning data collection mode, diagnostics testing, and being able to find new riding areas by looking at my gauge. Those things are stupid, right?

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
Currently the 16 Doo is the widest sled out there...Proclimb not the widest
Doo also has laydown steering...if you like it, great

-Proclimb 2016
--best engine - durability, power, and to mod ... and uses oil... I want a 14K 2stroke sled to use oil...lol
--best track
--best suspension...for everything
--best chassis-- short and front coolers...most durable...big lug track friendly...not heavy...minimal snow stiction
--excellent drivetrain

Cons -- all relative to preference... all easy mods not affecting durability if desired
--heavy hood... not chassis...most do not notice
--heavy can... not chassis...most do not notice
--runner boards side panels a little too wide...most do not notice(Doo is substantially wider)

2017 Proclimb...we will see soon

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I don't care what something looks like, ask I care is what I can make it doo.
The 3" PC is so much better, can't really put it on a doo and stay skinny. I'm in the process of narrowing my xm to see what it will do but I'm wishing I could put a pc on it.

So far the capability of what I have has proven worthy and I don't care about anything else. I don't see anything at this moment that impresses me. And the new doo is still stupid wide.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
At least the latest rumor mill for the 2017 sounds promising. Taking into consideration the improvements from 2016, generally speaking a narrower sled for 2017 (plastics, boards, tunnel) , combined with LED lighting and a possible ~20 lb weight loss and I think your on the right track for a very nice sled. I wonder if we will see new instrumentation like with the ctec6 and 4strokes?
I certainly wanted to see the new 800 ctec, but if that's not released at least the Zuke is well proven and mod friendly. With further chassis refinements, ACat can still have a good showing for 17, no doubt. I guess will find out more on Tuesday!!

-Stack

Premium Features