• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Polaris RMK/SKS with some specs...

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Scott, do you know what the final gear ratio is for the 163/2.6? Ad states a lower final ratio so I'm curious as to what it is, thanks.

The only think I can tell you is what it shows up above that the bottom sprocket has lost 1 tooth, the top has gained 1 tooth.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The standard RMK gets the 800 Cleanfire (which is what was in the model year 2015 ProRMK chassis)

The PRO RMK gets the new 800ho Cleanfire.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I wonder why they kept the "PRO" RMK name when "pro" was first introduced as the name of the old chassis? Name recognition since the Pro(ride)platform was so well received?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
It looks like going from the 2.6 series 6 to the 3.0 series 7 is 13 pounds more.

My conclusion is that the chaincase and track are the difference.

Their reasoning for no QD in the Series 7 track is they couldn't get a low enough gear ratio on the QD for the Series 7 track (3.0" paddles).

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
[B

Their reasoning for no QD in the Series 7 track is they couldn't get a low enough gear ratio on the QD for the Series 7 track (3.0" paddles).

I guess they were to proud to call TKI in Billings. I'll bet lunch that he has (or could make) a ratio that would work.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I guess they were to proud to call TKI in Billings. I'll bet lunch that he has (or could make) a ratio that would work.

That very well could be. The engineers made is sound like they didn't want a smaller top gear and larger bottom would not fit QD.

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
That sucks that they never put the qd on the 3 x 163. I've been running an x3 on my 14 no issues.

soreloser

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NE Wyoming
The picture says plus one on top minus one on bottom... wouldn't that be a higher gear ratio? Or are they talking into account the smaller drivers for an overall lower ratio?

More internal and some external features.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
The picture says plus one on top minus one on bottom... wouldn't that be a higher gear ratio? Or are they talking into account the smaller drivers for an overall lower ratio?

You are correct (I pointed this out early on after the January reveal), it is indeed a higher actual ratio, but with the change to the #@!* smaller driver, the realized ratio is slightly lower.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
They'll be selling more than a few 3" tracks to replace the 2.6's with the QD. They'll be 2.6 takeoffs available as a result, too. Some guys will just want the QD with the 3".

Some impressive sleds in the key mountain sled niches - poo is listening to snowesters and their customers - they want to lead this market badly again. They just need big snow in 16 and healthy dealers. As expected, this is the best lineup of the spring. Next year should bring some good changes from at least doo, if not ACAT, and more Axys options.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
More internal and some external features.

attachment.php

In my World, gearing for a higher theoretical top speed is gearing UP, not down.

Edit: Sorry, just saw that others have already commented on this.

But I will add my theory as to why they are doing this: Seems like they are trying to add some strength to the belt, by adding contact surface between belt and top gear, and then make it sound like they changed the gearing for its own sake.

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
In my World, gearing for a higher theoretical top speed is gearing UP, not down.

Edit: Sorry, just saw that others have already commented on this.

But I will add my theory as to why they are doing this: Seems like they are trying to add some strength to the belt, by adding contact surface between belt and top gear, and then make it sound like they changed the gearing for its own sake.

I completely agree; That they are band-aiding the QD to prolong belt life. If the Polaris Engineers would just upgrade the antiquated tooth profile (HTD-round tooth form used in the early sixties for blower belts and such) they choose for the quick drive. To the newer tooth forms (GT2-an involute tooth form, which is what all the aftermarket belt drives are utilizing) the belt durability issues would all but disappear.

That being said they still need to get their QC department in order and reign in all the out of tolerance parts. Bad bearing fits, undersized drive shaft splines, Drive shaft to drive shaft stub fit, etc.

I had C3 make me custom belt drive sprockets so I could run as low as 3:1, because I refuse to run the stupid dwarf sized drivers, I also had C3 make me 9 Tooth drivers because Robbie at AVID was a complete d!ck when I asked him about the 9 Tooth drivers he was advertising but obviously never made.

So while Polaris chose to not make a QD ratio for the 3", it is probably just as well, because it would still be geared 15-20 MPH too tall anyway, just like every other "mountain sled" they have produced in the last decade.

My two cents for what it is worth

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Is the whole tunnel powder coated underneath or just the outside?

Premium Features