• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 or 2018 m8000?

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I looks like I have a buyer lined up for my 2010 M8...Sad to see that sled go its been so good to me, but times are changing and I'm ready to hop on a new chassis.

A couple dealerships have some deals going on:
Brand new 2016 M limited 153": 9500$
2018 153" Early release: 13000$

I also know a coworker who is selling his 2016 Limited 162" with 500 miles for 7500$

Obviously with the end of the year there are some pretty incredible deals going on, but I'm just contemplating if the extra 3-4000$ will be worth it to own the latest n greatest. If I did get one of the 16's I would defiantly do a set of running boards. Looking to see what input you guys have...

G
Nov 9, 2013
BC
I think it boils down to your expectations of the end result. The '16's worked pretty well, way better than the previous years. Problem is if you start modifying it. The gap is $3500. If you do boards, 8th drivers and some clutch work you could easily eat $1500+. The old sled will then work really well but no where near as good as a bone stock '18.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
For me id do the co workers for 7500 a 16 is going to be night and day better then your 10.... yes the 18 is amazing but the 19 will even be better.. wyo streering mod, skinny boards, clutching, and gripper skies and you have a great sled

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
$7500 is a steal, I'd be wondering why he would be selling it so cheap, that's WAY below what it's worth. Is he one of those guys who can thrash a sled in one ride? If it's not thrashed that's what I'd buy... Just noticed you are in Maine, are mountain sleds next to impossible to sell there like a short track sled would be here out west?

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
$7500 is a steal, I'd be wondering why he would be selling it so cheap, that's WAY below what it's worth. Is he one of those guys who can thrash a sled in one ride? If it's not thrashed that's what I'd buy... Just noticed you are in Maine, are mountain sleds next to impossible to sell there like a short track sled would be here out west?

Believe it or not he is in his Mid 40's and it has not been ridin hard, it will need a seat cover at some point as it got ripped from a tree branch.

10 years ago it was damn near impossible to sell a mountain sled, but now the mountain sled market is actually pretty damn good here in the North east, it seems like everyone and their brother has become a "bro" and started there own backcountry demolition team where they go out in the woods and film themselves bouncing off stumps. A lot of people have actually been buying sleds at the end of the season from out west and bringing the back here to sell in the fall. The terrain is nothing like out west most of our riding is in areas where there has been logging as we don't have many wide open bowls.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
7500 for a just broken in 2016 is awesome. Get that, throw some 8t drivers and some tube running boards on there and don't even think twice. That's still below 8k.

I'm as excited about the new sled changes as anyone but it's still got a LOT of unknown quantities as far as reliability. You know what you're getting with the 16. And that's a very reliable motor. For a 5k difference that's a no brainer. That's another back up sled.

Last edited:

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
If money isn't an issue then the '18 is better but not by the margin it is getting hyped to. The power is better by the margin of an slp stage II at best. It does run crisper and less vibration. Unless you are running very steep sidehills the '16 is going to do what you want. The fact that you're asking and talking about the cost says maybe the '16 at 7500 is the way to go? That is a good deal and 500 isn't many miles on a zuke (if we were in Poo forum that would be different eh?!). Either way, you will be happy you stepped up from the M sled. I had both and there is a pretty big improvement on a '16 PC v.s. an M....but it might take some seat time to reprogram your brain and muscle memory from the older chassis. You tend to like what you ride because of that so give it a few days and some gripper skis. Good luck!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
19 will be a super year for Cat. I would get either choice and ride. Both will be a huge gain from your current sled.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I'd get the 2016 for $7500. Boards, 8T drivers, Mountain Cat drop&roll with belt drive, can, and rip it! Upgrade to the new plastic for $1400 if it's in the budget

Premium Features