• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Changing stance from 39" to 36", not sure on suspension requirements

W
Apr 3, 2018
Hello,

I have a 2018 Polaris RMK Axys that I am looking to upgrade the stance from a 39" to a 36". I am looking at the trenchers 36" kit, but my concern is using the stock shocks.

I currently have the stock Walker Evan Clicker shocks from 2018 and had them re-valved by Carl's Cycle (night and day difference).

I have the opportunity to pick up some 2022 Walker Evans Velocity shocks that came off a 2022 Polaris RMK Matryx, so curios if I will be much better off with these since they are designed for a 36" stance.

Thoughts? Would there be that big of a difference between my current shocks (for 39" stance) vs. the velocity shocks? I've seen mixed reviews about the geometry being messed up using stock shocks on 36" stance.

If I picked up the velocity shocks, I'd send them to Carl's for a re-valve.

Thanks for the input!

P
Jan 31, 2010
Klamath Falls, OR.
Unless the Trenchers call for shorter shocks. You need to use your shocks from the 39” front end. Otherwise, yeah geometry will be jacked. If the trenchers are made for the shorter shocks. Then yes you need new shocks or to have yours shortened

K
May 10, 2009
Calgary, AB
I have the trenchers on my 2016 Axys RMK. Didn't like the heavy steering and handling with the increaed height on the front end. Swapped the front spindles for Pro ride spindles to shorten up the front. Made all the difference for the best handling and suspension setup. You can also shorten the front shocks but I am cheap.

06 Dragon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2007
Central Alberta
What is the pro ride spindles?
I have a 2018 axys, 800, 174 and installed the trenchers 36" a arm kit. I also used the stock walker Evan shocks with remote resevoir. I reduced some spring pre load to compensate for the adjustment of the narrowed front end. Handling is still not the best. My sons 2020 850 axys handles much better.

K
May 10, 2009
Calgary, AB
Pro ride spindles are from the 2011 - 2015 pro rmk snowmobiles. The spindles are approximately 1" shorter.

On the stock spindles with 36" trenchers kit, I was taking out the preload on the front shocks and increasing the FTS to compensate. Some guys are fine with that, but the handling was terrible and unpredictable.

With the shorter spindles and 36" trenchers, I was able to tighten up the front shocks and reduce the FTS preload. Hands down the best mod I have done. Significantly less effect for technical riding.

K
Feb 13, 2012
Norway
Possible to mount a aftermarket 36" a arm kit made for the Axys, on a pro ride ? I have a 2013 proride (shocks are same length as 2016-2018 axys rmk)

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Most 36” a-arm kits for the axys are designed to use the stock length axys front shock. Ask the a-arm manufacturer to know for sure.

D
Nov 3, 2019
www.banditsolutions.ca
depends on A Arms. If ordered for narrow factory stance, shocks be perfect. If gotten for wide stance, shocks be shorter and front end will sit 3/4-1" lower
They all WILL work. But whats optimal? Trail, you won't prob know difference.

Premium Features