• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015/16 Snowy Range snow conditions

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
Hopefully it stays good and keeps snowing. Will be there on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OCDsledder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2003
Cheyenne WY
LOL!

I sure hope the snow stays and keeps coming. Planning on being there to ride monday-thursday the week after Easter. First time to the snowies for me so any advice, hint, suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thinking of staying at Albany Lodge. Any experience there or thoughts on other place to lay our heads down. Coming out with 4 place enclosed fully geared up, gps in hand, avy trained, and lots of mnt riding experience. Just none in this area. All riding newer sleds hoping to get one good ride in this year!

Thanks,
Wes
Forecast is calling for another storm Tuesday into Wednesday.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Yup should be 26 fresh inches by tmrw evening eh? Flurries Thursday and then sun on Friday!

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
ffc42ec540c663d49fe9cdb025b64c43.jpg

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
We road out of albany parking lot today. Snowing hard in the morning with wind. Stayed low and in the trees. 16" of untracked across everything we rode today. Stayed around trail T. Tomorrow weather permitting we will get up higher on the west facing slopes. Should be pretty good!

Last edited:

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
2016033195130033.jpg a very good day. Tomorrow will be awesome too! Bring fuel.

A

aj1180

Dec 17, 2009
waukon ia
This is a little off topic. We came across a rider last Sunday @ 3:00 on O about 17 miles from green rock. This guy got separated from his group and ran out of gas on P. It was obvious that he was a nervous wreck and disoriented. He did not know where he was or which way to walk. He was acutually walking the wrong way. We were one of the last groups riding that day. Everyone needs to make sure they keep there groups together and everyone in the group needs to know where they are going. Don't leave an area unless you have everyone in the group. This guy would have been in a tough survival situation had we not picked him up. There are fewer groups riding this time of year so you are less likely to get help if you need it. Stay safe and be prepared.

Ps the group that left this guy should be ashamed with themselves.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I believe the FS has put in a June 1st cut off date, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Sad, because I've ridden from HQ park up to Queally on the 4th of July before.

Correct on the June 1 end date, but that is for off trail only. We specifically asked the FS about road riding, and there is no limit on that. Not ideal I know, but can still get some test/tune miles in through June. That said, I'd head south of the border for late season off trail fun.

The other side of the "new" regulations is no off trail until November 15, or at any time in areas where snow depth is less than 12" (cannot cause resource damage is the goal).

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Usually doesn't happen until Memorial day weekend. With the snow depth up there right now and a wet spring ahead, I'd plan on Memorial day weekend, or later.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Went up yesterday. Quite the contrast to last weekend. Guessed about 10 trucks or so? Instead of last weekend's few hundred! Snow was much more fun than anticipated. Old snow was still mush, so not dust on crust conditions. Around 6" of heavy new snow in the morning. I wore my rain jacket (didn't rain, but was snowing most of the day). If another storm comes in this weekend, it's going to suck, and you should all stay home :face-icon-small-ton Rocks everywhere, man-eating creeks, etc.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Went up yesterday. Quite the contrast to last weekend. Guessed about 10 trucks or so? Instead of last weekend's few hundred! Snow was much more fun than anticipated. Old snow was still mush, so not dust on crust conditions. Around 6" of heavy new snow in the morning. I wore my rain jacket (didn't rain, but was snowing most of the day). If another storm comes in this weekend, it's going to suck, and you should all stay home :face-icon-small-ton Rocks everywhere, man-eating creeks, etc.

Yep. Love the lack of crowds with the spring riding. It was hot today. The snow that fell yesterday was melting off the trees. We should have worn our rain coats instead of riding jackets. Riding in the trees just got us sopping wet. But by 2 pm it had cooled off 15-20 degrees and started snowing hard.

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Here is a little powder video from the Snowies from a week or 2 ago now. Featuring myself and CO 2.0

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eUoXBUqJdFU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Premium Features