• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017/18 Snowy Range snow conditions

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
We plan on coming out Thursday night and riding through Sunday. Still expected to get good snow on Friday. Any thoughts on our 1000 mile round trip is worthwhile? Hearing mixed reviews on conditions.

Looks like a decent storm starting Saturday night into Monday. Maybe some snow later this week but looks warm tho.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Rode Sunday, it was great. Deepest base of the season, good amount of fresh on top. Not many trucks in the lot. I was concerned about fuel by noon, and almost out by 1pm. Pretty much the best time of year to ride, in my opinion. Especially if you can time your days with the spring storms.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Rode Sunday, it was great. Deepest base of the season, good amount of fresh on top. Not many trucks in the lot. I was concerned about fuel by noon, and almost out by 1pm. Pretty much the best time of year to ride, in my opinion. Especially if you can time your days with the spring storms.

Great insight. Hoping the forecasted storm for Friday hits like they say. I haven’t been out since early February.

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
This has always baffled me why they do that. We still have good snow and many people still ride. Grooming should continue til the snow is gone or later in April, we always have snow through April. They don't start plowing the road til mid May or later. Snowmobiling brings in LOTS of money to the state and all the towns around these areas we should keep that as long as we can. Not that Grooming or Huts will stop people from riding. I just think it should keep going. Leave the markers and huts up, at least til mid or late April. If it's a money thing than rise the sticker price I'll gladly pay to have more support for riding, if that's it?

The reason is simple- Get the hut out and the markers down while you can. Stop grooming before you drop a groomer into water, there are soooo many places on the range where the trail crosses water of some kind.

This time of year creeks and lakes can open in a matter of days. Yes there may be a lot of coverage now, and we still get snow.. But why risk it.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
I agree some what on that. However lots of trails are actually roads not going through creeks and what not. You also can get the huts and markers anytime with SXS and if it’s a fact of mud, everyone and there brother is up there ripping around as soon as snows out anyway. I’ve been riding the Snowy’s for over 20 years and remember when it was contract grooming. I just don’t agree with the thinking on it. It doesn’t stop me from riding and in all don’t care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Wintertime-

"I agree some what on that. However lots of trails are actually roads not going through creeks and what not."
-Most of the snowmobile trails loosely follow roads or orv trails.
Take hwy 130 to the Queely warming hut for example- There are 5 creek crossings on FS road 103. not counting the numerous bogs and mud holes. A little running water under snow can make one big hole.

"You also can get the huts and markers anytime with SXS and if it’s a fact of mud, everyone and there brother is up there ripping around as soon as snows out anyway."
-Once again most of the trails loosely follow the roads and orv trails.
-NO TRAIL- is in a completely roadless area and crosses two lakes..
There are four miles of -U TRAIL- in south brush creek where the trail is on the other side of the valley from the road.
There is at least 2 miles of -V TRAIL- that are in a Roadless area.

I could go on but what's the point you get what im saying

"I’ve been riding the Snowy’s for over 20 years and remember when it was contract grooming."
-Cool! I've only lived in Saratoga and been riding the range for 16 years ..

"I just don’t agree with the thinking on it. It doesn’t stop me from riding and in all don’t care.
- Im 100% with you, & it has no impact on my riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk"

I'm not trying to start a piss ing match with you, I just felt that it was worth while to point out a few things.

Last edited:

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
So basically it's a good thing, cuz it keeps the trail riders from venturing out into the pow! Win win

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I can't go riding but it's the best time looks to be epic with this storm if anyone could post some pics would be great.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
looking at taking the wife and kids up for a little snowmobile, sled / tube day on Saturday. How far past Greenrock can you drive now to unload?

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
So with the storm coming might head out to the snowys friday and sat. Where would we have to park to get to good snow. Also never rode past march. What do we have to keep in mind and watch out for such as lakes, creeks, etc. supposed to be 1ft to 2ft of snow so I am sure some of that will open but kinda covered/ hidden just don't want to end up in a stupid situation. Also any reports as of late?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Go to the Greenrock parking area or beyond if possible.

Warming huts and trail markers have probably been removed.

Use caution on lakes because there may be water on top of ice but below the snow.

Watch for open creeks and weak snow “bridges” over creeks which may collapse.

Beware of avalanche danger.

bigrig

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
LAKE PARK, IA
Rode out there early May a couple years ago. Nothing marked, of course no grooming. Stayed at Albany Lodge, only sledders there! Yea, rivers starting to open up. Widow maker easy climb. Biggest change is how long the rideable day is.

I'm trying to get another guy to make trip this week. Leaving form NWIowa

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Spring/summer snow sets up fast, and the end of this system might even drop some rain on the mountain. Fri/Sat is still calling for temps in the 50's.

What we would do in May riding is wait until noon to give the sun time to soften the morning crust, then you can ride until 8-9:00 pm if you want to.

It can be lots of fun, do some water skipping, creek bashing, side hill in mashed potatoes :)

Premium Features