• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 m8 snopro eletrical issues

Dec 7, 2020
Hello everyone, took my sled out up to the mountains this weekend. First day sled ran fine, a few times the gauge wouldnt turn on but I just shut off the sled and gave it a few minutes and that fixed it. Today when i woke up the gauges, taillight, headlight and warmers all wont work. I check the fuses and swapped out what i could but.still nothing and the sled is stuck in limp mode. The fuse box had a LOT of ice around it and the cables aroumd it were frozen in a chunk.of ice. What should I start with to fix the issue? New fuses obviousoy but dont know where.to.go from there

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Sorry for your issues. On my 15, my gauges and my tail light don't come on but, my headlight does and the sled starts fine, although it's boggy. Even though I caused my problem initially, we may have a similar problem. Are these the only fuses on the sled? I can't find any others. I see in the wiring diagram that power going to the headlight is unregulated. I changed out my voltage regulator already and I am wondering if maybe I got a bad replacement part, since I tried the tail light bulb on my Alpha and it lit right up on that sled. I am still trying to figure out my issue. I keep looking for a second fuse block that maybe controls the gauge and the tail light.Fuses.jpg

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
The center 7.5 amp fuse controls the power valve servo motor, the gauges and perhaps the tail light. If you replace that fuse and gauges still don't work, there's a high likelihood that it's your voltage regulator.

M
Jan 17, 2010
SW, MT
FWIW, I spent all last winter chasing a no power to my gauge, loading up really bad issue on my 2015 M 8000. The gauge would not work intermittently leading up to this as well but it seemed to work if it was left in a heated area for a time until the first ride a year ago and it didn't work at all. I took it to a dealer and after spending $400, it not being fixed and they tell me it was possibly the stator, which would add another $1000 to my bill I took it home and I tried to fix it myself. Long story short, it was the voltage regulator causing the gauge and taillight to not work. Now I can see it's throwing an ecu 18, power valve servo error. I tested the servo last winter by putting power to it to see if it would actuate and it did so I'm hoping I just need to clean the valves. At least my gauge is working and I can see the error code now! Now to tear it back apart and dig into the power valves/servo motor.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
M Cat, I am right there with you. I just ordered a second voltage regulator to try because I don't have any blown fuses and my gauge and tail lights are still not working. Since I can't find anything else wrong, I am wondering if the first one I received may be faulty?

M
Jan 17, 2010
SW, MT
Also, I've started purchasing used parts off eBay to trouble shoot the problem. A $300 ECU is way easier on the bank account than a new $1200 one. Same for a wiring harness. That way if it doesn't change I can just send it back any only spend a couple dollars instead of buying a new part that you may not be able to return. I realize buying used parts had it's own risk of them not working too begin with but so far it's worked out pretty well.

Dec 7, 2020
Got the issue fixed, it was the voltage regulator. Swapped out one from a buddies sled and it was back to normal!

M
Jan 17, 2010
SW, MT
I've now tried a used power valve servo and still have an ECU 18...? I'm wondering if the voltage regulator is partially working but not enough to run the servo? I just tested the five weeks from the ecu to servo and have continuity through them all and look like the insulation is intact so I don't think it's a wiring issue. Unless the used servo didn't work as stated from the seller.

M
Jan 17, 2010
SW, MT
I've now tried a used power valve servo and still have an ECU 18...? I'm wondering if the voltage regulator is partially working but not enough to run the servo? I just tested the five weeks from the ecu to servo and have continuity through them all and look like the insulation is intact so I don't think it's a wiring issue. Unless the used servo didn't work as stated from the seller.
Self inflicted cause for my ECU 18, had the nut that holds the drum on the servo to tight causing it to not turn free enough for the motor.???

Premium Features