• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 M8000 SnoPro Limited Electrical Issues?

S
Hello All,
Bought a nice 2014 M8000 this year and got about 56 miles on it before something smoked.. :-(

Was headed down trail and started to smell that scary smell of ELETRICAL melting down, Sled died and that was it. So just finally got her home from up north country and ripped her apart and I can NOT for the life of me find anything melted down or burnt up. I know for sure its electrical, Still has that faint smell of electrical burn.

At this point I would just bring it to dealer and take it in the rear on Labor, BUT both my local cat dealers are backed out 4-6 weeks and this is with being friends with the owners.. they are jammed out!

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I cant seem to find a common issue with these cast online.... The fuse BOX did smell smoked but cant see anything burnt, I ahve basically puled everything out of it. Checked ECU looks good and doesn't smell fried, VR looks good but who knows?

Anyone with any help will be much much apricated!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Voltage regulators are a common failure. When mine went bad it over juiced my hand warmers and melted them and the grips. Also looked fine from the outside. Terrible electrical fire smell. So I would change that (mounted to inside surface of the bulkhead behind the exhaust side ski shock) and test your stator. Manuals are available on country cat website to get the ohm specs for stator.

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
Same as Boondocker, my VR went away and blew out the headlights and smoked the hand warmers. I had the electrical burning smell after pulling hood and panels, but couldn't locate it. I just replaced the VR and all is good. Hopefully its not a stator. You could pull the starter recoil off and inspect in there. I did see on another machine the plastic recoil housing had some pieces come off and they went round and round the flywheel until they melted a layer of plastic on the coils and magnets. Not sure if that could happen in this case, but...

Beetfarmer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2008
Idaho
I had a 15 that the vr went bad and smoked the ecu. Take the ecu off and look at the bottom side and see if its burned anywhere. Mine quit on the mountain but when i got home it started on the 3rd pull and started smoking out of the ecu . After checking for a dead short and bare wires I borrowed a ecu from my brothe. I found the vr was sending out 21 volts at idle. It also burned out all of my lights.

Premium Features