• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 M8 - Smoked ECU and blown bulbs

S
Hey guys, 09 M8 HCR with 6000 miles. Riding yesterday and the sled lost power, the digital gauge went haywire, and I started smelling electrical burn. I shut the machine off, popped the hood and the ECU was smoking. I eventually started it up again and my brother noticed the headlight go out...a bulb had exploded. I was able to limp back. First guess is voltage regulator is toast but I'm inexperienced with diagnosing electrical issues. Would a short cause this?

Thanks

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Bad ground or a short will drain power and cause weird stuff, but not usually overheating a component or smoking it. Voltage regulator can end up sending excess voltage, which sounds like your issue. I would start there. The VRs are known to go on the cats too...especially if you aren't fully loading them (like removing lights, etc.). I'd check the VR first. Sounds like you need an ICU too...the go-smoke came out of it.

Premium Features