• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 SBA 800 not charging the battery ??? Maybe ??

polaris bob

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 16, 2002
Michigan
The info....

2011 Indy Specialitys SBA 800 motor and complete under hood wiring harness from my donor sled. (This sled did not have the electric start option on it.) I used the 2011 motor wiring harness because the 2013 harness is not compatible with the 2011 fuel injection system. Everything was plug & play during the installation. The complete ES harness IS installed with the starter wires taped over / shrunk wrapped until such a time I get a new ES clutch.

2013 SBA 144/2.0 donor sled/chassis that the motor went into. ( This sled does have the electric start option on it.)

I do not have the electric starter motor and shaft drive installed on the sled. My donor motor did not have the E-start front clutch so I have not "yet" installed the starter and drive assembly.

The sled has a new battery this season. (November 2019)

The story........

I rode the sled at the end of last season ( Feb, March & April of 2019 ) after I got it put together, ran perfect. No issues with anything. Everything worked properly. I did not even bother to look into the battery / battery charging, as nothing on the sled was drawing power from it.

2019 / 2020 season. I installed a new GPS, wired off of the battery, and installed a new battery because the old one was not holding a charge. Again, no issues of any kind all season long. The GPS worked fine all season, but I fully realize that the GPS does not draw that much juice and I plug my sled into a tender when it is home in the garage. But the battery never took very long to top back up after hooking the tender to it.

I have installed a set of LED driving lights onto the sled for next seasons backwoods night rides. They are also hooked to operate off of the battery as I did not want to tax the sleds lighting circuit with the additional load. (They are triggered to operate only when the high beams are on and a dash mounted switch is turned on.)

The issue.......

After the lights installation I decided to see just how much voltage / juice the stator was putting out to the battery when the sled was running and I am not seeing any voltage change when the motor is running.
I ran the motor up to over 5000 rpms just in case it was RPM related.
I turned on the driving lights and saw the battery voltage slowly start dropping.
Right now I am stumped.
Everything I have read so far tells me that if one of the VR's or regulators was bad I should be seeing other issues with the sled.

Everything else on the sled works just fine.
The grip heaters, the lights, brake lights, instrument pod, I can hear the starter solenoid clicking when I turn the key to start.

Reminder, I used the 2011's under hood wiring harness because the 2013 harness will not connect to the 2011 motor and fuel injection system. From my research the wiring harness for the non ES sleds and the ES sleds all use the same under hood harness. The ES harness is a add on to the under hood harness when you get the ES option.

Before I start ripping the wiring harness apart or start throwing parts at it, does anyone have any ideas of where to start looking first ????

Is there a fuse inline somewhere that controls the charging circuit??
Is there a relay that just controls the charging circuit?

Is there something simple I am over looking ???

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

polaris bob

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 16, 2002
Michigan
Update, after doing a little testing I have found that with the hood off I have charge voltage to the battery. Once the hood gets reconnected, I loose the charge voltage. Now I am really stumped as to whats going on.

polaris bob

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 16, 2002
Michigan
I don't think so but I will have to look. I'm not to sure right now which plug is the DC plug.

Premium Features