• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011/12 Snowy Range snow conditions

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 of us just bagged the trip due to temps/snow. Bummed but too far for us when marginal conditions

Last edited:

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
You missed some good riding in Colarado...shouldnt of put the sled away yet Coyote!

We managed to get Beeman buried a few times and thought we were going to have to leave him and another guy out for the night when they dropped into a area by themselves late in the day, but they made it out. We could see the trouble they were in from a peak 1/2 mile away and could hear them fighting to get out in the thick trees.

Well you at least left them there for a few hours didn't ya?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
That will teach him.:face-icon-small-sho

Actually was NOT Beemans fault. The one guy that is from there dropped 30 feet to a point of no return unless you roped back up. I asked him if he KNEW where the outlet was if he dropped down further and he said "Im sure its a meadow just down a ways and I will meet you guys on otherside". He wanted to go at it alone and Beeman said he would go as its dumb to go alone. The other guy is younger and frankly doesnt have the respect for the mtn yet and it will get him in trouble.

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
Rode last Tuesday and Sunday and right now the snow does suck. Hey, still better than working but lots of ice is starting to form because of the high temps and everything is starting to settle down. Yes, there are a few rocks that weren't visible a couple weeks back but burning up hifax could be an issue right now! There is still minimal snow to be found in the trees but after this last weekend places like the Toilet Bowl(Lake Marie) and SugarLoaf look like a runway for sleds. In good regards, now is the time to explore a little bit and find new honey holes without getting stuck but the winter is not over. We always get great dumps in April. Hopefully they show up in smaller storms instead of just a couple big ones or the avy danger might be pretty bad with the slick layers forming. Time will tell!

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
I'm too lazy to link all the pics, so follow this link for some pics of riding Sun 3/11/12.

http://s659.photobucket.com/albums/uu312/LittleBuddy73/Snowies with Steph/

Snow is THIN in places, and rough/hard drifted everywhere it isn't packed. Got some sounds of carbide on 130 in a few places down lower even. (didn't even try Libby Flats, just stuck to the woods.) Looks like there was a dust storm recently, and with the sun, it's chewing through the snow in pockets.

It was rough enough that I'm not going back up unless there's a good dumping. I rode on June 12th last year in very similar snow conditions, but there was about 3x more snow then, and I put up with the rough riding because it was JUNE!!

My MI friends just shut down their trip to Albany at the end of the month. Not worth the 20 hour drive for the conditions that exist right now. Hopefully it'll snow a bunch because we cancelled the trip and I'll get to go riding a few more times this year at least!!

C

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Albany Lodge this morning

albany2.jpg

dansyl159

Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2008
SW Iowa
Yup, we packed up and came home Sunday. Usually average about 2500 miles a year----1300 this year. Worst I've ever seen it in 20 years going to the Snowy's!

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Yup, we packed up and came home Sunday. Usually average about 2500 miles a year----1300 this year. Worst I've ever seen it in 20 years going to the Snowy's!

I think your statement applies to 90% of our nation.. Not many miles on the sleds this year.

Thanks for all your snow reports Dan. Guys really appreciate it!

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado

Agreed - I can't remember a worse season. It got off to a slow start in November and most of December. It snowed "normal" for about 3-4 weeks at the end of January through early February and then completely shut off in March.

What a joke. At this point I hope it rains so we don't have a huge forest fire problem this summer.

1998summitx670

Jan 12, 2008
Omaha, NE
snowies

Well.... this sucks... I have a group of newbies coming out there next weekend to experience snowmobiling. Guess we are going to have to drink our faces off instead. Is there enough to at least ride the trails to show them some of the areas?

Premium Features