• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 TM8 Refresh List to remedy issue.

K

Klimbing Kitty

Tore mine down the other night. pain in the a$$!! anyways. I all ready had m1000 reeds in it but they were shot 2petals on each were 3 mm from sealing and two of the petals at 1/4 inch square chunks off the corners. as well the intake boots where your oil injection gets sprayed in were falling apart on the inside has anybody seen that before???

IMG-20110202-00052.jpg IMG-20110202-00053.jpg

R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
Tore mine down the other night. pain in the a$$!! anyways. I all ready had m1000 reeds in it but they were shot 2petals on each were 3 mm from sealing and two of the petals at 1/4 inch square chunks off the corners. as well the intake boots where your oil injection gets sprayed in were falling apart on the inside has anybody seen that before???

Interesting.... One more thing too look for!!! I see you still have the oil injection. Some kit's use the oil injection points to sense boost for the BOV. Either way failing boots can't be good...

Last edited:
R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
Chipped reeds and Oil residue in compressor and charge tube.

Reeds are chipped on several petals but the worst on the lower PTO and MAG sides.

Lot's of oil residue in my compressor and charge tube. I'm assuming the turbo has a blown seal and is leaking by. How normal is it to have oil residue in the compressor and charge tube?

I have a small exhaust leak on the PTO side but I wouldn't imagine it is enough to accumulate in the charge tube like that without making a huge mess across the engine compartment.... There is only a little spray down on the bottom of the cylinder PTO side...

One last thing I noticed was on the exhaust side of the pistons, resting in the cylinder outlets were puddles of combusted air/fuel/oil mix. I thought that it would smell more like fuel but was greasy in my fingers. How normal is that to have puddles?

I'm just wondering if I need a turbo rebuild or if I can get away without one and not hinder performance?

Sorry for all the dumb questions.... First Turbo sled and I'm still learning as I go....

Cheers

J

Jeff K

Jan 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
J,

Good find on the reeds. I think reeds need to be replaced yearly at a minimum. It seems like the lower ones are always the first to go.

It is normal to have "some" oily residue in the charge tube, but if it is excessive then you can start to think seals. Check the compressor wheel for excessive shaft play both in/out and side/side. If shaft play is ok, and the wheel spins freely your turbo should be fine.

As for the puddles in the exhaust ports, I think its somewhat normal as well. I noticed I had that before my turbo install when I was changing y-pipes, and decided to try some SeaFoam in the fuel to clean up the residue on the Power Valves, Exhaust ports and Y-Pipe. One tank of fuel with SeaFoam and all the residue was GONE! I couldn't believe it. I use SeaFoam all the time now and everytime I take things apart, it is like brand new inside. Check it out...its good stuff. Usually in stock at NAPA.

T
Dec 1, 2007
oil residue

Reeds are chipped on several petals but the worst on the lower PTO and MAG sides.

Lot's of oil residue in my compressor and charge tube. I'm assuming the turbo has a blown seal and is leaking by. How normal is it to have oil residue in the compressor and charge tube?

I have a small exhaust leak on the PTO side but I wouldn't imagine it is enough to accumulate in the charge tube like that without making a huge mess across the engine compartment.... There is only a little spray down on the bottom of the cylinder PTO side...

One last thing I noticed was on the exhaust side of the pistons, resting in the cylinder outlets were puddles of combusted air/fuel/oil mix. I thought that it would smell more like fuel but was greasy in my fingers. How normal is that to have puddles?

I'm just wondering if I need a turbo rebuild or if I can get away without one and not hinder performance?

Sorry for all the dumb questions.... First Turbo sled and I'm still learning as I go....

Cheers

If your oil tank is overfull it will cause oil to get threw the turbo and in the charge tube, intake, ect. It will cause the greasy residue also that you are talking about. I learned this the hard way also, took out my bov. hope this helps

R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
Pictures

I had a big wipe out on my last ride before I did the reeds... put it off one more day before I did it and crashed...

Took some pictures today. And in the airbox I found some green oil...?? I'm assuming anti freeze bonded with exhaust oil and came through the seal on the shaft. I do use Blue Marble so I find myself scratching my head and wondering.

Pictures have me wondering a few things...... The shaft seems secure but I see anti freeze on the shaft.... I have to wonder if I jarred something loose when I crashed?

Reeds that failed.
IMG_0743.jpg

Turbo compressed air side to charge tube and intake.
IMG_0731.jpg

Air Box with what I thought was antifreze but feels more like oil.
IMG_0736.jpg

Compressor with leak on shaft which looks like some antifreeze.
IMG_0747.jpg

Turbine side of turbo looking rusty instead of oily?
IMG_0749.jpg

PTO side.
IMG_0754.jpg

MAG side.
IMG_0760.jpg

Last Ride.
Image3.jpg

I think I may have to try the Seafoam Jeff.....

Last edited:
R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
Check Grounds.

Well I've been looking for an exhaust spring that released at light speed when I pulled the pipe.... Today I found my main ground disconnected.

IMG_0769.jpg

I changed the post this year and didn't know that the main ground was attached to the other side of the steering hoop bolts. I'm still shaking my head at myself!!

IMG_0768.jpg

How many grounds are there?

R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
I think there is one more ground on the same side of your sled on the inside of the bulkhead up by the shock tower. I might be wrong ??!:face-icon-small-con

I was going to ask about this one and what it was for.

IMG_0765.jpg

Thought I read something about the stator being gronded to the back of the motor... But I'm getting afraid of second hand information... LOL

R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
With that ground off, I am surprised it ran at all. That is the main one for everything.

No kidding Brian.... I'm shocked as well!!! It was sitting a little bit different... I moved it around to figure out where it was coming from and then put it back for the picture prior to securing it......

K

Klimbing Kitty

I was going to ask about this one and what it was for.

IMG_0765.jpg

Thought I read something about the stator being gronded to the back of the motor... But I'm getting afraid of second hand information... LOL

That one i believe would be for your turbo fuel pump or turbo oil pump but the one i was talking about would be just down below that one on the inside but still could be wrong

R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
That one i believe would be for your turbo fuel pump or turbo oil pump but the one i was talking about would be just down below that one on the inside but still could be wrong

Fuel pump I'm think...it has been over a year since my install.... I mix my gas and oil and the old pump supply's the bearings in the turbo. I do remember having touched that one before. My Girlfriends sled has the same ground and she is boosted as well with same kit. I have so much split loom it's hard to trace stuff back... LOL

I know I saw a thread about grounds and location once upon a time....

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I found a brown, 2 into 1 wire that was a ground (I hope) on my m1000, it was just hanging out so I attached it to the motor, looked like it went there.

KSR

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2010
ground wire

there are 2 ground wires. The one you found by the steering post support and Klimbing Kitty is correct the other is grounded to the engine ahead of the recoil behind the oil tank. If this one comes loose the sled will run pig rich or not at all. Had that happen to me.

Premium Features