• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 Polaris Shift 136 - 600 cc blown, help?

Jan 26, 2010
Folks, I'm looking for some help.

I bought a new non current 2009 Polaris shift 136 - CFI 600 in October 2009. I bought the second year engine warranty. Well in January 2011, I made use of that warranty as my motor blew up at 1100 miles.

circumstances: riding down trail at about 40mph - then it just acted like the plugs were bad. was running just fine for the first couple hundred miles of the season. Dealer says "it needs rebuilding, and we have no idea what caused this blow out. It just happens. " Well they rebuild in on warranty, no cost to me. They recommended that I change the gas filter, which I did, put new gas in which I did every ride.

I followed their directions to a tea...and well it blew again at 2200 miles.

Circumstances:
progressive decrease in performance (bogging at random speeds), brought it in and learned that the temp sensor was gone. Temp sensor and thermostat changed. Next ride, problem gets much worse, and it bogs down completely at 40-50 mph and will not go any faster. I limp it back home and bring it to dealer. They attached the "polaris wrench" and it came back with "low voltage error code". The dealer says that this is what likely caused my sled to blow up. He sends this report to Polaris. They say that this error cause "could be" caused by a slow idle, or a stall. Well isn't this controlled by the on board computer? They cannot properly diagnose it unless it's rebuilt (at a quoted cost of $1500 plus tax)

They said the cause is likely the "harness".

Here's my problem:

I believe that the first blow out was likely caused by this historical low voltage error code. The first dealer didn't diagnose it properly. They just fixed the symptom, but didn't fix the cause of the problem. Now the problem has reared it`s ugly head again, and engine blown again. Having owned 4 Polaris previous to this one (none of which caused me any problems). I`m led to believe that this thing is a lemon that was defective from the day it left the factory. I`m not hard on my stuff, I maintain it, I ride it.

I believe that Polaris should be paying for the rebuild and a repair of the problem, even though it`s off warranty. I believe the problem started on warranty, and it continued. Now they are leaving me high and dry. I`m considering legal action.

They are telling me that theirs no evidence that the harness caused the blow-out, and that the only person who can help me is the dealer. Well they did, and Polaris technical has told them that their diagnosis is wrong. They are giving me the run around.

They want me to rebuild it, and only then will be they be able to diagnose it properly. What if there`s a defective harness? They won't promise me anything. Now I`m going to be out over $2000 + with a sled that will likely blow again.

Anybody have any thoughts? I feel let down by this manufacturer, and they should be held responsible. By the way, I live in Ontario.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
That year 600CFI sleds were blowing left and right, some say because it was too lean from factory. How is getting 10mpg running lean on trails/rivers lean? When my '08 carbed RMK would get 12mpg average in all conditions?
See if you can have it reflashed to '11 specs, much better but still fuel economy suffers greatly as my son's averages 9mpg...

Jan 26, 2010
Thanks Marv

Hey Marv,

If its such common knowledge that these sleds blew their engines...why are the dealers I talk to act like it's extremely rare...?

Is there a way to hold polaris accountable for putting out a defective product?

I'm extremely frustrated. I'm certain the product is defective, because there's no way a new sled should blow 2 times in 3 years with 2200 miles. I'm stuck with a $2000 bill now (that doesn't even fix the cause of the blowout).

Do you know of any bulletins put out by polaris outlining this problem?

Thanks

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Hold Polaris responsible? Get in line, but it never happens.

I don't know of any bulletins on it. Getting the latest flash is never a bad idea in my opinion.

sled_guy

Jan 26, 2010
alright thanks

I'm just trying to get information that will help me to hold polaris liable for this 2nd breakdown. If these blew out so often...there must be documentation somewhere......anybody????

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
You can blame Polaris all u want... Just stand in line...

Really not there problem..

Maintenance and knowing your sleds goes a long ways!!

To me it sounds like a Lean burn down.. Throttle Body Boot.. Leak... these engines were know for it..

This is a hobby... and an expensive one at that..

Go to Pay to PLay!! Educations are NEVER Free!!

Sell it and forget about it.. or Buck up and fix it.. Maybe this time Do it your self and save a 1000$$.. And learn..

600 ECU.. is very lean.. the 600's.. run much richer and pull harder with a 700 ecm.. and a power commander.. my .02$

Good Luck.. Live and Learn...

Premium Features