• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 XP Summit - Seeking Clutch Knowledge

Y
Aug 11, 2008
Hello everyone,

First off, I'm researching and browsing primarily on my phone while I'm at work and have chair time. I was having trouble with the search engine on Snowest forums so I apologize if most of this information has been covered in the past.

I have a 2008 Summit XP with a 154. I have owned it since new. At the end of last season I was having trouble with the sled not shifting out into the secondary and I could hear some rattling coming from the drive clutch. I figured that the rattling was most likely worn "wear parts" in the clutch and probably needed a tune up. I dropped the sled off at my mechanic to have him install the $120 wear parts kit from ski doo to get the clutch freshened up for this season. Up to this point I haven't touched the clutch, the sled has ~2000 miles. My guy called me back this weekend and said that he thinks we may need to replace the entire drive clutch. Now my understanding of how the clutch operates is basic but I was under the impression that the rollers on the arms climb ramps? Is this correct? Are the ramps replaceable? My mechanic seems to think that whatever the rollers move on is worn out. It seems like something that's constantly moving or being moved upon would be replaceable?

He also also mentioned that the sheave faces have a considerable groove in them. Is this from running a harder compound belt for too long? The belt I ran for a long time was one I purchased not long after I bought the sled. The belt was supposed to be a fix when the xps were having trouble blowing belts up.

Is there a possibility that this drive clutch is just flat *** worn out or can I salvage and rehabilitate it?

Have been nosing around on eBay looking at take off drive clutches. Most of them listed have over 2k miles. Would it be worth it to buy one of these take offs and install new components to breath some life into them?

Would it be worth it to switch from the tra7 to another tra model? Or maybe buy a newer tra7 that has the revisions made by the oem?

If I do go with a used tra7 what types of things can be done to help with durability and longevity?

Also please no badmouthing my mechanic. He's a family friend and I know him to be honest and straightforward. That being said he may be mistaken about the ability to change certain parts, which is fine. I don't have time to tinker with this stuff in my own garage right now because of a busy work schedule, but I do have time to research (I'm a cnc machinist, I stand in front of my machines babysitting them while they run, giving me time to research).

Sorry for the lengthy thread, just want to make sure I'm asking all the right questions. I'm looking forward to hearing your response.

G

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
talk to winter brew on here, he can get new parts at pretty good prices from the dealer here in washington state, Id buy new ,dont trust old used parts with high milage

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
It is rare to need to replace the inner sheave/shaft or the outer Governor cover (the part with the clicker bolts and black rubber donut. These are also the most expensive pieces.
The rest of the parts and even the movable sheave are easily replaced.
It depends on hos bad the grooves are...a little grooving at the base of the sheaves is common and not even noticable when riding, doesn't effect the durabililty. Pics or more details would be helpful.

Y
Aug 11, 2008
Thanks for the response. I will try to make it down to the shop one night this week and get my hands on these parts for further inspection and pictures.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
XP Clutch

Cascade balancing in Bend OR can machine the faces. With balancing ($95)
and the worn parts replaced you should be better than new for well under the price of a new primary clutch! The new clutch should be balanced as well if you go that way to avoid premature wear - The TRA7 are not balanced as well as they could be.

Your mechanics fix is credible advice from his perspective if you are trying to avoid alot of labor charges, coupled with he may not have knowledge of the balance issues. Or he is aware of the balance issues and concludes you clutch is so far out of balance now it will take out the PTO bearing making you even less pleased!

Premium Features