• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 M1000 Error Codes and Running Poorly

K
Jan 16, 2017
Sorry for the long post but I have a 2008 m1000 that has been giving me issues. The problem started about 2 years ago and I parked it and just never got around to working on it. When I pin the throttle open it begins to cut in and out. This starts at about 6700 rpm. With the throttle pinned it will rev past this but quickly drop back to around 6700 and then rev up, drop back, rev up, drop back, etc until I let off the throttle. I never got a fault code and it doesn't seem to do this on the stand. While on the stand i verified that the actuator for the power valves was rotating. I then cleaned the power valves and adjusted them properly. They were both around 32mm but from what I found the spec is supposed to be 35mm so that is what I adjusted them to. I then took the sled for a test ride and it seemed a little more doggy and would barely idle, sometimes even dieing. Also, 4 different fault codes came up, (ECU 01, ECU 11, ECU 13, and ECU 18.) 01, 11, and 13 aren't listed on the fault list under the hood but 18 is servo motor failure. ECU 18 was on the whole time while the other ones came off and on. It seems as tho the servo motor is no longer moving now. Im thinking i have some sort of short or my ecu is toast. I found a wire going to the ccu that had been taped by a previous owner and the connector that is only about an inch away was a little melted and blackened on that terminal. I rode this sled for 2 years before I started having this issue so I doubt that is causing my problem but can't be sure. Since the first day I had the sled I have had a CCU error and the wrench symbol periodically when shifting into reverse. I cant seem to find any other possible shorts. I'm open to any ideas that you might have. I'm at a loss at this point. I guess I dont want to play an expense game of guess and check with a wiring harness, ecu, etc. Thanks in advance for any input.

R
Dec 13, 2008
It's not uncommon for the wires from the ECU to the power valve motor to get shorted if they get pinched underneath the fuel tank. If that happened, it can burn out the electric motor drivers in the ECU. Take a look at the bottom of your ECU, and if you see one corner where it looks like things got hot, that's likely what happened. The multiple fault codes can happen from the one code, because the ECU to display data link may only get partial data for the ECU18 code (or so I've read elsewhere).

I have a 09 M1000 that burned out that same circuit to the power valve motor in 2 ECUs, so I've got some experience with this problem.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Combination of reverse and valve servo giving codes I would pull fuel tank and check harness. If ecu got fried by this I have a couple from parting out some M1s. CCU as well. Also have a couple complete harnesses.

K
Jan 16, 2017
There is no noticeable melting on the underside of the ecu. I found a rubbed through black wire coming out of this plug. What is this for? It is on the left side near the key switch.

16402855560193066171248757225044.jpg

K
Jan 16, 2017
I pulled the tank and looked over every bit of the wiring harness. I cant find anything that looks even remotely close to an issue. I'm beginning to think that my ecu is bad despite not being noticeably melted. Im afraid to put a new ecu on and toast it too without correcting the problem. My guess would be the stator is the culprit or perhaps the ccu since the connector between them got a little blackened at one point in time. I did an ohm test on the stator and all tests seemed fine. Does anyone know the procedure and specs of a voltage test on the stator for this sled?

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Black wires are ground. I had the same sled and had to clean and sand ground from ecu, etc. I found it because I had a fuel controller for mods and had weird rev issues and codes. I disconnected, cleaned and sanded ground to chassis and connector and it was fixed. Taped black wire is not a good sign...I'd run a new ground wire if you can...sometimes the wires look fine but are compromised inside from a bad ground and heat. Thel pipe temp sensors go bad also and throw codes and affect performance...usually due to a bad connector union, not a bad sensor. And if you store the sled outside, notnin a garage or shop,, corrosion can affect good ground connections. Dielctric grease in connectors/harness never hurts. Also check clutches..is the secondary good? Those buttons go easily and can bind you into rev fluctuation and sticking at lower rpms. Good luck!

Premium Features