• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2001 RMK 800 needs a few problems addressed

P
Jan 9, 2014
I have a 2001 rmk 800. I'm not sure what to set the secondary to( the 1-5 setting). Also I was told it needs the track tightened but I don't know where those bolts are. And finally. The guy I bought this sled from put a handlebar riser on it and didn't extend the brake lines. So it doesn't have any brakes at the moment. If anyone knows where to get one let me know. It about 3-4 inches too short right now. Thanks,
PG97

B

Bcorn

Dec 29, 2013
South shore Lake Superior
I have a 2001 rmk 800. I'm not sure what to set the secondary to( the 1-5 setting). Also I was told it needs the track tightened but I don't know where those bolts are. And finally. The guy I bought this sled from put a handlebar riser on it and didn't extend the brake lines. So it doesn't have any brakes at the moment. If anyone knows where to get one let me know. It about 3-4 inches too short right now. Thanks,
PG97

Brake line can be ordered from, slp, Dennis Kirk. I believe on the clutch you want the top of the clutch flush with the bottom of the top grooves on the belt.

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
I like to set my deflection so the outside of the belt is just slightly above the sheaves on the secondary. This will change as your belt wears. Before adjusting track tension I would check the bearing on the clutch side of the driveshaft. What track is it? Look at the rear of the rear suspension. You will see where the track goes around the rear idlers. There is a threaded adjustment bolt that pushes against the rear idler axle. You will need to support the back of the tunnel so the track is off the ground and can turn freely. Then loosen the bolts in the rear axle, then you can adjust the track using the threaded adjustment bolts. Make sure you adjust each side the same amount. Make sure to tighten rear axle bolts after adjustment. The track needs to run evenly in the hyfax(same amount on each side). With no extrovert drivers, I run my track sag about an 1" when pulled down with moderate pressure.

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
As for the brake line. You can get the extended ones. Or if you are cheap(like me), go down to the auto parts store and get a piece of 1/8" pre made brake line with the fittings and a connector. Take your brake line off the caliper, install your 6-8" piece of brake line and connector, screw the stock brake line to the connector and bleed brake. You will have to bend the stock line and the 6-8" piece to fit better.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
First of all loosen the back axle bolts. They are in the center of the idler wheels at the back. For the track adjustment there are two bolts that face toward the front of the sled. Loosen the jam nuts and turn the bolts in to tighten the track. Turn each side in the same amount. Retighten the jam nuts and the rear axle bolts and you're good to go.
The setting on the secondary is determined by measuring the belt deflection. To do so lay a straight edge on top of the belt that is long enough to bridge the two clutches. Push down on the belt midway between the clutches and measure the distance from the bottom of the straight edge to the top of the belt at that point. It should be 1.25". Don't push down so hard you force the belt down into the secondary sheaves. If you need to adjust it then loosen the three bolts on the cam. Rotate the cam clockwise to increase the deflection or counterclockwise to decrease it. Tighten the bolts and run the sled to engage the clutches and then recheck the deflection to see where you are.
Edit: Looks like rdr99 beat me to it on the track adjustment.

Last edited:

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Best/cheapest way to extend your brake line is to use a flexible grease gun hose, I've done this on several sleds now, costs about $8 for the hose and the double female brass adaptor. Credit to Tim Groot for this one, best idea I've seen in a long time for sleds.

Premium Features