• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2.6" track swap

BloomJack79

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2022
Highmore sd
I have a 2012 Pro RMK with a bent rail and track is missing a few lugs. Id like to install one of the 2.6 " tracks and replace the rails. What would all be involved in doing that? i am assuming there will be clearance issues going from the factory 2.4 to a 2.6"? Has anyone done this yet and any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

BloomJack79

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2022
Highmore sd
Lol …. Full respect to your program but I hope you lose sat. Don’t want to see you guys again this year!

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
I have a 2012 Pro RMK with a bent rail and track is missing a few lugs. Id like to install one of the 2.6 " tracks and replace the rails. What would all be involved in doing that? i am assuming there will be clearance issues going from the factory 2.4 to a 2.6"? Has anyone done this yet and any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
im pretty sure it will fit without any issues. I was going to do this on my 2012 turbo but the cost of the track itself wasnt worth it to me and I went with a brand new PEAK 2.5 for half the cost. The 2.5 fits without any clearance issues at all. If I remember correctly people talked about doing this and swapping in 7 tooth drivers for more clearance but it will fit with the stock one (barely).

BloomJack79

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2022
Highmore sd
im pretty sure it will fit without any issues. I was going to do this on my 2012 turbo but the cost of the track itself wasnt worth it to me and I went with a brand new PEAK 2.5 for half the cost. The 2.5 fits without any clearance issues at all. If I remember correctly people talked about doing this and swapping in 7 tooth drivers for more clearance but it will fit with the stock one (barely).
I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like my best option would be to just go ahead and get 7" drivers to be safe with the 2.6. Im gonna have it all apart anyway so pressing on a couple new drivers wont be that much bigger deal just to know it will work for sure. Would anyone have some 155 rails to sell?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Pretty sure it'd fit with stock drivers, but smaller drivers might be the way to go. That makes for a big change in final drive ratio. The gear down with 7t drivers has a lot of advantages, but it might be too much, and you'd probably need clutching adjustments. Keep in mind, it might still tend to rub the top of the tunnel more. You could also run the original drivers and trim the lugs. The bigger drivers on the Pro do give you an advantage in rolling resistance: the wider bend the track makes results in less parasitic losses. What I've got on mine is a Challenger Extreme 2.5 with the outer lugs trimmed down 1/4". Seems to work well, but I bought it that way, so I can't compare it to anything. Even though I can't speak from personal experience, what I've gathered from reports here and talking to people who know a lot more about this stuff from me is that about the only real advantages of the 2.6 over the CE 2.5 are less weight and slightly better performance in deep powder. Meanwhile, the CE works better in crusty or set up snow, and is a lot tougher. Don't get me wrong, the 2.6 is a good track (I have rode a couple sleds with that track), it's just that it's hard to get a good deal on one, and I'm not sure you'd ever see an advantage using it on a Pro because of the clearance issues. My thought is that it'll work, and might work well with a driver change, but may not be the best choice. Unless you score a great deal, it's likely to be significantly more money for not much more performance compared to the other options.

BloomJack79

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2022
Highmore sd
Pretty sure it'd fit with stock drivers, but smaller drivers might be the way to go. That makes for a big change in final drive ratio. The gear down with 7t drivers has a lot of advantages, but it might be too much, and you'd probably need clutching adjustments. Keep in mind, it might still tend to rub the top of the tunnel more. You could also run the original drivers and trim the lugs. The bigger drivers on the Pro do give you an advantage in rolling resistance: the wider bend the track makes results in less parasitic losses. What I've got on mine is a Challenger Extreme 2.5 with the outer lugs trimmed down 1/4". Seems to work well, but I bought it that way, so I can't compare it to anything. Even though I can't speak from personal experience, what I've gathered from reports here and talking to people who know a lot more about this stuff from me is that about the only real advantages of the 2.6 over the CE 2.5 are less weight and slightly better performance in deep powder. Meanwhile, the CE works better in crusty or set up snow, and is a lot tougher. Don't get me wrong, the 2.6 is a good track (I have rode a couple sleds with that track), it's just that it's hard to get a good deal on one, and I'm not sure you'd ever see an advantage using it on a Pro because of the clearance issues. My thought is that it'll work, and might work well with a driver change, but may not be the best choice. Unless you score a great deal, it's likely to be significantly more money for not much more performance compared to the other options.
thanks for taking the time to answer me, and you have givin me a good plan. Appreciate it

P

Pitabroed

Jan 16, 2018
The 2,6 will fit, dit it to my own Pro Rmk -12 for some years ago. The stock 8" driveshaft is a really tight fit, but it will fit.

Premium Features