• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2.25 vs 2.6

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
2.6 is probably the most versatile track there is. Big step up from the 2.25, no downside on the trail and improved and noticeable hook up off trail. This is the mod I want on my 2009 but don't ride enough to justify. Of course, will ride a tad higher in the back on trails, especially if packed or iced. Use scratchers to avoid any overheating in marginal, icy conditions. Great track and great mod.

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
Works even better when you cut all the in between fingers off so that it looks more like the 3" powerclaw track. sidehills a lot better, floats better, lost rotating weight and gained over 100 rpms just from the lost rotating weight. Sawzall cuts them off nice and clean and fast

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
i did the 2.25 to 2.6 swap on my M8 years ago. With-a-doubt there is a noticeable difference. they used to call the 2.6 swap "the poor mans turbo". pull the trigger

J
Jan 4, 2013
Works even better when you cut all the in between fingers off so that it looks more like the 3" powerclaw track. sidehills a lot better, floats better, lost rotating weight and gained over 100 rpms just from the lost rotating weight. Sawzall cuts them off nice and clean and fast
Cutting paddles off has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Who thinks of this crap? Why don't you cut them ALL OFF and you'll save even more weight. Can you imagine how much snow you'll clear out, and that snow won't be trapped in your track anywhere. BRILLIANT! ???

Radar78

Lifetime Membership
Aug 20, 2010
Dundurn Sask. Canada
Cutting paddles off has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Who thinks of this crap? Why don't you cut them ALL OFF and you'll save even more weight. Can you imagine how much snow you'll clear out, and that snow won't be trapped in your track anywhere. BRILLIANT!

I’m not saying he’s right or wrong cause I honestly don’t know. What I do know though, is there ain’t no chance in hell Im taking a sawzall to my brand new track!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
Cutting paddles off has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Who thinks of this crap? Why don't you cut them ALL OFF and you'll save even more weight. Can you imagine how much snow you'll clear out, and that snow won't be trapped in your track anywhere. BRILLIANT! ???

Why do you think that the new 3" tracks dont have them. Youre comment about cutting all the paddles off really shows your ignorance for innovation and improvement. But lets go with your thought process. Why dont we add even more lugs to the tracks. Would that make it better. Add enough to make it solid and smooth like a racing slick. I bet that would make the best and heaviest track we get for a sled

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
I’m not saying he’s right or wrong cause I honestly don’t know. What I do know though, is there ain’t no chance in hell Im taking a sawzall to my brand new track!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It honestly made a substantial improvement. Im not the only one. People have been doing it for years. Doesnt hurt the integrity of the track unless you get crazy and start cutting down into the cords

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007

There are multiple threads in the proclimb section

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yup, tons of people have done this including me when I had a 2.6, works great, no downfalls, I thought a utility knife and razor blade worked better than a sawzal.

J
Jan 4, 2013
Why do you think that the new 3" tracks dont have them. Youre comment about cutting all the paddles off really shows your ignorance for innovation and improvement. But lets go with your thought process. Why dont we add even more lugs to the tracks. Would that make it better. Add enough to make it solid and smooth like a racing slick. I bet that would make the best and heaviest track we get for a sled
Yup; you must be smarter than all the engineers and researchers. Go ahead and cut your track. Just don't cut anyone else's. Everyone on here agrees that 2.6" is better than 2.25"... and you wanna cut some off. Get stuck, and get stuffed.

Last edited:

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Yup; you must be smarter than all the engineers and researchers. Go ahead and cut your track. Just don't cut anyone else's. Everyone on here agrees that 2.6" is better than 2.25"... and you wanna cut some off. Get stuck, and get stuffed.
Well the engineers took those fingers off the 3" so what does that tell ya?

Don't cut your track, it's your choice, but enjoy getting your butt handed to you in the hills by the guys that took 15 minutes to improve their track. Yes, it makes that big of difference. Rode a modified 2.6" for 3-4 years. There is not one single downfall to removing those little fingers.

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007

Ya. I just show up to the parking lots with my cordless sawzall and just start cutting other peoples tracks:rolleyes:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Tracks with too many paddles people have been cutting the extra paddles off for years. First I remember was the 1998 summit 670. There is a fine balance in track paddle design, pitch and lug height to make the track most efficient in moving snow. Removing the extra finger paddle on the 2.6 really makes the track much Better in the powder

Premium Features