• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2 '15 Pro's cutting out??

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Tony,

You have an interesting theory....Just so that I understand, are you saying that the noise/squeal coming from the fuel pump/area is so loud that you can hear it while the motor is running? Does it go away as soon as you shut off the motor?

I'm guessing you replaced the fuel filter's?

Drewd...your issue sounds like a cold pipe.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Slack in the cable "may" allow the throttle flipper to not fully retract which then doesn't allow the TSS to close completely. If/when this happens, the signal from the TSS to the ECU doesn't correspond with what it expects given TPS, RPM, etc. and can cause a number of different symptoms.

Some of the problems I've seen:

Poor runnability, hard starting, even engine backfiring.
No reverse
Check engine light come on '13 and later.
On 13's I've seen RPM not go over 3,000.

The TSS has been an issue for us (in the past) usually on a day following over the hood pow. Something I have not seen this year.

Shouldn't those systems be present for those who manually bypass the circuit?

I test rode a sled today with as much slack as I could possibly get and it didn't have any issues. The most slack I could get was about 5/16 at the flipper.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Tony,

You have an interesting theory....Just so that I understand, are you saying that the noise/squeal coming from the fuel pump/area is so loud that you can hear it while the motor is running? yes, if you are listening for it. I can hear it with my helmet on. I've had riders with me that couldn't hear it until I pointed it out. It is very apparent if you remove the fuel cap. It seems to happen when you are "at" or "less" than half a tank. But that is the time of day when outside temps are more of an issue, closing in on that 50*F threshold. I have not had this happen at temps below 40*F

Does it go away as soon as you shut off the motor? As soon as power is removed from the fuel pump. It will also stop and not cause a problem if you let it idle for a minute when you hear the pump/FPR noise at startup. If you try and force the throttle while there is pump/FPR noise it will haunt you. Shut it down, start it again, and let it idle. All is well.

I'm guessing you replaced the fuel filter's?A filter change does not solve this problem. I have only witnessed this in warm conditions, we had a '15 600 Pro with us that encountered the same problem with mine. (Refer back to does it go away)

Drewd...your issue sounds like a cold pipe.

All in red, Dave

image.jpg

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Dave,
I would like to test fuel pressure when this happens. But have missed each opportunity. Not an easy task on the '13-'15. It is much easier to accomplish in the field on the '11-'12.
As we all know fuel and air doesn't compress equally. I think when the air hits the FPR we are getting an FPR flutter which is the sound we are hearing from the tank. This in turn causes a volatile fluctuation in fuel pressure and fuel supply. With millisecond injector timing at idle there is not sufficient fuel or pressure to accommodate throttle response. If you take a minute and let it idle to clear itself of the air entrained fuel you are on your way.

Edit:
Dave, I forgot to mention that I also feel that the new location of the FPR may contribute to this. In the old location ('11-'12) the FPR was at the high point in the fuel system. Now it is in the lowest part of the fuel system. We all know where air likes to settle in at.

Last edited:
C
Dec 24, 2014
My 14 seems to be displaying this problem. Today was warm, over 40 on the mtn for sure. My sled was fresh back from the dealer adjusting the TPS for a poor hot idle condition. The poor hot idle continues and now I am having the cutting out problem... I have heard the sound of air in the line.

Riding downhill, letting it col seems to restore performance. Working back up the hill was fine until near the top as it was heating up.

Letting it idle to clear does not seem to help, I let it idle for a couple of minutes or mare and it never clears up. I could probably live with the crappy idle but the full throttle bog needs resolution.

I do not have much (any) confidence in the dealer resolving this. Their $85 TPS adjustment didn't do squat, in fact today it ran the worst ever. My buddys '13 on the same ride was fine.

Any suggestions on tracking this down and preventing it?

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Ice cubes in the fuel tank??! Frustrating for sure. I am west bound this weekend, and assume I will be battling these same issues.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Rode Sunday without issue, this time I was riding the sled and Temps may have been a little less. No noise from pump either.

Now my problem is the junk shocks and bolt that is snapped off the lower belt pulley, scary! !!! I was just running 50mph+ on a curvy trail and slowed to near so to leave trail and heard a very light tink, then engine rev. That could have been ugly without brakes. Only 300 miles on sled.

Premium Features