• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1980 Yamaha SS440 BOG!!

catssuk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Edgerton Wi.
im guessing a bad streched out belt..push down on it if it flexes more than a inch or so its shot.. chris

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
It is a single carb, yes it has been cleaned thoroughly, the trouble is, I don't know if they were any good new, a lot of sleds back then had poor bottom end. If the ss440 was good back in the day then we can try some stuff. The sled was bought used last year and we dont know what it is supposed to run like.
I don't even know what the engagement rpm is, (no tach), I will try belt, engagement rpm first. I hate the thought of trying to make something run better when it never did.

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
THEY WERE THE CHIZ IN THE DAY...they dont have a ton of power but are a reliable...as posted above start with the belt if the carb is clean..how are the plugs ect...choke adj correct and air screws set just a few more to check...

N
Feb 16, 2011
check the pilot jet... slightly drilling mine out helped tons! now, when i crack the throttle on mine and if the snow is hard packed enough the skis raise right up!!!
goes from 1500 idle to 6500 right now!
-Dan

Premium Features