• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

155 Assault track swap?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I have no doubt that there will be some fine tuning involved, that's a given. Going from a track that weighs 48lbs and that spins all the time to one that weighs 55lbs and bites in twice as hard there will be a heck of a different load on the engine.

I know the track is looser than it should be too, at one of the rest stops it was visibly sagging under the weight of the snow dropping from the tunnel coolers. The stock 5.1 did it a few times when the sled was new and the track was still stretchy. My sled doesn't have any extroverts on it at all so I know it needs to be banjo tight.

I only have 1 ride with it so far so I'm not going to get rid of it right off the bat. So far I'm impressed with what I see and the traction this track provides on setup snow... it reminded me more of how my 900 tractors up stuff with more confidence at slower speeds. Clutching is something I've been battling with this sled since I got it so that's no big news to me. I wish it was more like my 900 where it doesn't really care how fresh the clutching is, but it just doesn't have the torque so I'm going to have to spend more time dialing it in. I will say this though, I am pretty impressed that I have almost 1200 miles on this thing and the belt still looks pretty good, the 900 isn't quite as forgiving when it comes to belt life.... and it's fully vented!

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Your probably going to have to go with extroverts , don't bother with the single center one , extroverts do what it can't . Without the extroverts you'll have to tighten the track so tight that when you let off the throttle by accident it'll throw you over the bars , great entertainment .

You brought up a very interesting point about your belt , her 800 is just short of 4000 miles on the original belt but the engine's been down twice , that's some funny stuff there . There's also a photo on the last page of official cfi engine failure .

It's to bad they quit making that 700 , one of the guy's has a 2010 700 rmk gas and go no maintenance , non , zilch , zero , not even greased and it runs like it's off the show room floor with no need of updates .

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I tightened up the track to as tight as I want to make it and we'll see how it does tomorrow... I also changed out my primary spring to a blue/pink to see if that helps my top end RPM a bit... time will tell.:clock:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I got out for another ride yesterday with the track tightened up and a fresh Blue/Pink primary spring installed and all I can say is that on the snow we had yesterday, this Assault track is INSANE!!!:eek::eek::eek: I swear I almost flipped the thing over backwards SEVERAL times it hooks up so good. Snow was pretty much the definition of concrete during the first half of the day, and then it softened up a bit by the afternoon and we started to get some sidehilling in. About 4pm the snow was softening up nicely and I did one last sidehill and actually managed to get the thing stuck.... I didn't think it would be possible to trench a track in, but that sucker does have a mean bite to it when you push it right to the edge!

I HAVE NEVER HAD SO MUCH FUN ON THAT 700!!!!!

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Alright , kind of like a new toy without signing over your first born .

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
How was the clutching?

To be honest I really didn't pay too much attention, I was just having too much fun, lol!!! I think I was still a little low but it's hard to say, I didn't get many long climbs in, most of it was shorter stuff and it was bouncing around a bit. I would have to guess I was around 8K-8100 or so on average. With the way everything was working, I'm just going to replace the secondary spring with a fresh stock one and give myself some miles with this setup next fall and see what happens. I may change out the belt next season as it has 1200 miles on it now too.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Clutching issues aside (still not pulling consistant peak RPM) the sled is an ANIMAL with this track on spring snow. Absolutely the funnest thing I have ever ridden! This thing will stand straight on it's tail with only a small bump to get it started - and this is with the limiter straps in the middle hole. I'm not sure what I'm going to have to do to get it pulling more consistant RPM, but I will deal with that more next fall.

100_1516.jpg

Premium Features