• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

12 year old son - A lesson in basic snowmobile engine maintenance

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I helped my 12 year old son buy his first sled from a buddy of mine. My friend wanted $2,700 for the sled. He said he would give it to him for $2,300 if Tim (My son) would work at the barn for 40 hours cleaning stalls, spreading manuer, stuff like that. He said great. I told him "You not off the hook yet" and proceded to tell him that I wanted $500 in my hands by the end of the summer to help me pay for this sled.

I did this because 1) It is the right thing to do to have him help pay for his fun, and 2) just maybe he will treat the sled better that way and take care of it.

He handed me $500 after baby sitting, mowing lawns, painting etc. Took him all summer to come up with the cash. (Well it all was not exactly cash, about $50 of it was Itunes gift cards, a target gift card, and a Cabelas gift card. I balked at this but his mother pressed me to let it go, which I did)

Fast forward to last February. We went up to Visit my buddy Hilly on Snowest here. Tim brought his sled along to ride with Hillys girls around his yard.

As he was starting his sled, I yelled to him "Hey Tim did you check the oil? Remember, you need to do that every time you start the sled"

Tim: "Yep, dad I sure did and its just fine" (He was so excited apparently to get riding, that he would have said anything to get on that sled and go)
Me: "Ok then go have fun"

Me and Hilly were inside having a cocktail when Tim and Hilly's girls go over to another field 1/4 mile away. They were gone a long time. Suddenly my cell phone rang

Tim: "Dad?"
Me: "What"
Tim: "My sled died and I cannot even pull it to get it started, somethings wrong"
Me: "Tim do me a favor, open up the oil fill cap and tell me what you see"
Tim: ----------Silence---------------
Me: "Did you hear me?"
Tim: "ok"
Tim: "The oil tank is empty"
Me: now really pissed because he lied to me about checking the oil level "Ok Tim I will be there in a few minutes"

So I threw a gallon of oil in the back of Hilly's truck and head over to where Tim and the girls were in the field.

I walk up in knee deep snow with my tennis shoes on (I am royally p!$$ed at this point because I know exactly what the problem is)

Me: "Tim WTF, you could not have checked the oil. You didn't did you?"
Tim: "No, I guess not"
Me: "GTF out of the way and let me see if I can break this thing loose (Which almost never happens, 99.99999% of the time, the motor, crank, cylinder, piston, one or all of those is toast)

He was crying with his back to Hilly's girls so they could not see him.

Me: "YOu crying? F'in right you should be crying. This is potentially a $1,000 mistake. And buddy boy, guess who is going to pay for fixing YOUR stupidity? Thats right ,,,,,,,,,,,, YOU!"

Tim: "Dad, I promise, I will work doubly hard and pay you back every dollar"

Me: "Well, lets see what the deal is with this sled first, but probably you will be paying"

Took the spark plugs out and poured a few table spoons of oil into the cylinders. Grabbed the primary and started to work it back and forth. Then added more oil, repeat, more oil repeat. Finally it worked its way loose.

Me: "Well, it looks like me might have at least partially dodged a bullet. BTW take this oil can and fill up the oil tank ALL the way"

Put the spark plugs back in and told him to start it. It took about 25 pulls, but finally it started and smoked like a mother.....

Me: "Now, I put a bunch of oil in the gas tank, go ride it. It will either grenade itself, or it will be just fine, but stay close to the house, if it grenades, I dont want to be pulling that thing 2 miles back here"

I checked the compression, just fine on both sides........ I think he got very lucky. I have never seized an engine in my life without having at least a piston or a cylinder get taken out. He rode it for another several hours and it runs just fine. Now, if it were 10 years ago, I would have opened up the top end and fully checked the cylinders and pistons, but now, if it runs, its probably alright.

It ended well, but he ALWAYS checks the oil every morning before we ride, LOL

By the way, the sled is a 2002 Summit 700

Last edited:
J

jaysonfreerider

Jul 18, 2008
Troy, MT
I remember doing things like this...just a few short years ago. :face-icon-small-dis But now after buying 3 of my own sleds and breaking about everything possible on them, blowing up numerous times, learning to change skies, to handlebars, to tracks, to completley rebuilding a motor, and having to pay for most of all of it my self, i've learned a great deal from my dad for getting after me for stupid mistakes.

Thanks Dad.

Your son will thank you someday. :tea:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I remember doing things like this...just a few short years ago. :face-icon-small-dis But now after buying 3 of my own sleds and breaking about everything possible on them, blowing up numerous times, learning to change skies, to handlebars, to tracks, to completley rebuilding a motor, and having to pay for most of all of it my self, i've learned a great deal from my dad for getting after me for stupid mistakes.

Thanks Dad.

You're welcome son,,,,, LOL

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Went half way with my 12 year old son last year on a used sled. Went 3/4 of the year without any issues until the worst report card of his 7 grades came home 3rd qtr. Sled got tucked away in the corner for the rest of the year until grades improved. 4th qtr was barely better so I told him the keys are mine and after 1st qtr next year, "I" will decide if I sell it and keep all of the money on it based on your report card at that point. He came through and actually did better than I expected. So it is out of the corner with the others again.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Hillarious!!!!!!!!

I hope you have kept some of these stories somewhere for him to read when he gets older?? You have had some fantasticly funny stuff over the years between the 2 of you and your sleds!

Partially remember one of you guys wrenching and an airbox or c-clip from about 10 years ago???

xc_rider08

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Mandan, ND
Great story Jeff C!

I was never handed a sled to me to get started. Dad always had a sled and let me take it whenever i wanted to go ride. but it wasnt the same as having your own sled. One summer i had worked my butt off and my uncle came through with a sled that i could purchase, a 99 xc 600 with 3300 miles. I was able to buy the sled all on my own, but boy did i learn this sledding sport was expensive. from just the oil, gas, riding gear so on and so forth, o and the repair parts after i rolled the sled down a hill into the only tree on that hill. Then dad started taking me to the mountains, well the only way i could go is if i did all the work on my sled to get it ready myself (he was there for guidence and help when needed) but he would never "just do it for me"

one thing i have learned is that when things arnt handed u, u tend to take care of them a little better and you learn to appreciate the things u have.

as much as i didnt wanna say it when i was younger, im very thankful that my parents didnt just buy me a sled, and didnt do everything for me. first hand experience is the best teacher.

J

jaysonfreerider

Jul 18, 2008
Troy, MT

as much as i didnt wanna say it when i was younger, im very thankful that my parents didnt just buy me a sled, and didnt do everything for me. first hand experience is the best teacher.

This is one the the best things i have learned. My parents never just handed me over something like a snowmobile, i had to earn it. It sure feels good as a 14-16 year old to be able to buy your own snowmobile with your own hard earned money.

xc_rider08

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Mandan, ND
This is one the the best things i have learned. My parents never just handed me over something like a snowmobile, i had to earn it. It sure feels good as a 14-16 year old to be able to buy your own snowmobile with your own hard earned money.

thats exactly it. u can say its "its mine" and no one can take that away from you.

now that first sled has come and gone and you can afford to buy a brand new one. making it that much better

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
I helped my 12 year old son buy his first sled from a buddy of mine. My friend wanted $2,700 for the sled. He said he would give it to him for $2,300 if Tim (My son) would work at the barn for 40 hours cleaning stalls, spreading manuer, stuff like that.

Moral of story: Your friend is a cheap arse at $10.00/hr. HAHAA!!

I almost once dumped ATF in my oil tank before a ride but my dad caught me right as I was tilting the bottle over the tank!! LIVE AND LEARN...
Those ski-doo's are bullet proof IMHO. Good story, thanks for postin' it!

A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
Yup. For sure, Thanks Dad!

Thanks Dad.

Your son will thank you someday. :tea:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Tim is now a full fledged member of our annual trip out west..............

Unless his grades are poor. I told him that the grades that matter are ALL of them. He was a bit low (Meaning B's) in a few classes, and I told him that he had better get those grades to at least an A- or he stays home. The quarter ends in a few weeks, and I have noticed that he is studying much more than he did before our conversation.

this kid is a A+ student, he is slacking, skating. I will bet his grades look just fine come judgement day.

I told him: "I am not going to talk to about this anymore. If your grades don't look good, the night before we leave for our trip I will come into your room and tell you to unpack, no warning"

He knows I will do this, so that is why he is studying so hard.

This trip is so important to him, and I can sum it up from a conversation we had last year on our trip as we were sitting behind Jefferson on a sunny bluebird day up on the mountain

Tim: "Dad, this is so awesome, this is the best day of my life"

I don't care if i was Bill Gates and had hundreds of millions of dollars at my disposal, I would still make it my mission to instill the value of EARNING things you want.

Now I am thinking........ Maybe I should at least pull the head off and inspect the cylinders. I dont want this thing grenading when we are out west back 20 miles in the boonies..... Been there, done that.......

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Moral of story: Your friend is a cheap arse at $10.00/hr. HAHAA!!

The truth of the matter is that my buddy Rick (the guy with the horses) has a four wheeler and a steel fense drag. tim takes that drag around the pasture for hours dragging that horse crap so well that it is practically dust before he stops. With all the fuel he wastes I kidded with Rick that Tim should actually cut a check back to him for fuel abuse!

Premium Features