• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 800 XP Vibration

B

boxdog

Dec 16, 2007
I have a vibration which is most noticeable in the handle bars and to a lesser degree in the feet in the 5500-7000 rpm range. The sled has 600 miles on it and seems worse now than earlier. I checked the most common things and everything is tight - clutch rollers and bushings good. I tried a new belt etc...
Anyone else had this problem? Anybody got any idea's??:confused:

B
Feb 21, 2009
I have a vibration in mine also.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141047
I am only at 130 miles on my sled, and the dealer claims that the vibration is because it is still in the break-in period.
I calculated my fuel/oil ratio at 22:1, I don't know if that would make the engine run rough and vibrate.
I also had the pull starter problem at 18 miles. Clutching doesn't seem right for a mountain sled, the rpms fade about 400 even on a short hill.
Since Ski-doo is celebrating their 50th birthday, I thought they would have this stuff figured out by now - guess my expectations are just too high.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Mine did too but 2 things fixed it.

1 - the clutching holds the trail rpm's too high, changed ramps, weights and spring and worn parts and now it's smooth and trail rpms are down 10%+.

2- when buzzing down the trail, the brake disk cover can bend near the slave cylinder and vibrate. bend it out and squish some silicon glue under it.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Mine did too but 2 things fixed it.

1 - the clutching holds the trail rpm's too high, changed ramps, weights and spring and worn parts and now it's smooth and trail rpms are down 10%+.

2- when buzzing down the trail, the brake disk cover can bend near the slave cylinder and vibrate. bend it out and squish some silicon glue under it.

Check your helix bolts.. if they get loose.. you will get a very good vibration

B
Feb 21, 2009
Anyone had their primary clutch balanced? Did it help with the vibration? How far out of balance was it?
I pulled my primary apart and spent a few hours getting all of the individual components to the same weight. I found the arms to be a few tenths of a gram difference, a little in the rollers, etc. The biggest difference I found was about a gram in the ramps. This only lessened the vibration slightly.
Maybe the housing is way out or the center bore is not aligned correctly.
Where can I get a clutch balanced/trued?

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Doo's clutches used to be balanced thats why you would see a disc in the slide area once in a while. You probably put yours out of balance now.

Y
Nov 11, 2008
Calgary
Doo's clutches used to be balanced thats why you would see a disc in the slide area once in a while. You probably put yours out of balance now.

He just balanced the components in his clutch.. The clutch housing would be balanced separately otherwise changing components would be way more complicated.

BrianB, I would try an automotive machine shop that balances crankshafts/rotating assemblies, they should be able to help you out or at least point you in the right direction.

zaxxcmx925

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2005
one of the guys in our group just had his primary balanced by Anchorage
Drag Bike and it was out by 12.2, I'm not sure if it's oz. or grams,but it looked
like a lot of aluminum was taken out.They used looked like a 3/4" drill bit to drill out 3 deep craters!!

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
He just balanced the components in his clutch.. The clutch housing would be balanced separately otherwise changing components would be way more complicated.

BrianB, I would try an automotive machine shop that balances crankshafts/rotating assemblies, they should be able to help you out or at least point you in the right direction.

I stand corrected, thanks!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Just wanted to add a note to the earlier ones that I posted in this thread.

Yesterday I got a rattle at idle and found that the stock pipe is hitting the frame. You can lift off the front hood and see just above the exhaust side shock, the pipe is sitting tight against the aluminum support. The MBRP can is held down and back by springs and it seems to have pulled the pipe off center. I will have to find a place to add more springs to keep it pulled forward some.

B
Feb 21, 2009
No! That crank is so out of balance without the clutch. The cranks are very light (ie) not enough mass to balance it. So the clutch is used as the mass/flywheel. In the case of the R motor they even added the starter ring.

So, if I understand correctly... The clutch acts as a damper, but does not balance the rotating assembly.
If the crank is that bad, I guess balancing the clutch isn't going to do much.

I still think that my engine vibrates worse than the others I have ridden. The dealer adjusted the oil pump last week, and it went from 22:1 to 30:1, I will have them adjust it again. The engine now has 205 miles. I put in new NGK spark plugs, that didn't help. Has anyone found their carbs to be out of sync?

T
Nov 27, 2007
Black Hills
The cranks weighs about 26 lbs but the diameter is quite small in comparision to the clutch. The clutch weighs about 13 lbs but because of its larger diameter it has a large effect on balance. Although the cranks on the R motors are quite a ways out of balance I think the clutch helps cancel it out. The indication the R motors needed some help is the addition of the starter ring. Cause you know theres no way BRP would spend money on something they didnt have to.

Premium Features