• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New 800xp Vibration problem

B
Feb 21, 2009
I just picked up a new '09 800 xp with a 163" track last Saturday.
Went riding on Sunday and had the recoil problem with 18 miles on the sled. Pull on the start rope and it doesn't engage to spin the engine, we had to start it off the clutch with the rope from the tool kit. Later on I was noticing a bad vibration from the engine, it was RPM related and not speed related. Three other people took my sled for a ride and thought the vibration seemed excessive. By the time we got back to the truck, my hands and feet were numb from the vibration.
I took it to the dealer today, they said there was no grease in the recoil mechanism, so they greased it.
They said they couldn't find anything that would cause excessive vibration and they checked the primary clutch and crank runout. They said that the vibration is because it is still in the break in period and just running a little rich.
Anyone else experience this? Will it really run smoother after the break in period?
I don't remember reading anything from Skidoo that says I will be suffering for the first couple hundred miles until the break in is over.

R
Dec 9, 2007
i have a 08 xp with about 600miles on it and it just started to vibrate horable took it in and had engine runout test ok, changed belt stillno help, checked track all clear no rubbing,havent took cluch off yet will the old clutch tool still work? any more ideas?? thanks

B

BlackSummit

Nov 27, 2007
Great Falls Montana
Yep same tool for the primary the secondary is a whole different story major project. If you take it off put bots in where the torque screws are use 8x24 with at least 10.9 hardness. 12.9 might be the best.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Have you checked your primary cllutch for sticky arms? We had all kinds of problems in 08. Later the spring tower bushings and rollers were a problem for some. These can make the engine vibrate if the clutch is trying to engage ****-eyed. Of course you have already checked your belt first? An hour glassed belt rides pretty rough.

B
Feb 21, 2009
I checked the fuel/oil ratio after riding this weekend. It is running about 22:1, isn't it supposed to be 40:1? Would this contribute to the vibration problem? Is this just a cable adjustment for the oil pump? Has anyone confirmed what the break in period is?

Premium Features