• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 XP pull cord slipping?

A

Arctic Cowboy

Nov 10, 2014
Alaska
Hey guys, so my dad was having issues with his pull cord on our last trip. When I gave it a few pulls it felt like it was slipping, almost like the teeth on a gear slipping against another gear. Tore it apart and can't see any obvious damage. Any help with what part (part number or title) would be really appreciated. Not a gear head, but we do our best.

-Justin

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
westernpower sports sells a pawl kit # 12-3210 or sm-11004 its like under 12.00 to replace the guts!!

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
also if when you start it , pull the cord out until it stops then pull it over to start it ,they will last longer than just yanking on it!

J
Nov 29, 2012
Bellingham
It's not always the recoil unit. I replaced the entire unit and was still having problems. I found a bunch of white grease had flung off the recoil unit onto the metal coupler that is attached to the engine. Cleaned it off and seems to be working much better.

A

Arctic Cowboy

Nov 10, 2014
Alaska
There was a silver grease on the wheel and the inside of the coupler. I snapped a few pics just incase you guys spot something I dont. Where would have this grease have come from?

image.jpg

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.
How many miles does this sled have on it? I have tore into a couple of these with high milage and I have found that the mag side crank seal starts to leak grease and it gets flung all over the pull start. There is a way to regrease the mag side bearing with out splitting the cases, (seal will need replaced eventually) but you need to clean the pull start and maybe replace the worn parts if they are bad.

Last edited:
Premium Features