• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cobra cord knot pulling through

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
My pull cord was worn out so I figured I'd upgrade and put a cobra cord in it. When installing it I tried melting the ends like usual on a starter rope but it doesn't really melt together. The outer jacket kind of just burns away, and the inner kevlar part doesn't melt at all which isn't surprising.

I have had the knot in the handle pull through at least 5 times on the hill. The knot doesn't really come loose, it just slips through itself and comes undone. Even with an inch of tail hanging out past the knot it just pulls through itself after enough starts. Seems like the outer sheath is too slippery. Thankfully I had a safety knot tied under the handle so the rope didn't disappear into the recoil. Is there some fancy knot I should be tying other than just a normal knot? There isnt room for much in the handle. Tried melting it but like I said above, the cobra cord doesn't really melt together like a normal pull cord. Also there definitely isn't room for any fancy knot in the recoil part itself, which i'm surprise is still hanging in there at this point. Anybody else had issues with this? I'm probably going to back to a stock one.

Last edited:
T

towerrigger

Jul 9, 2008
Try a figure 8. I have two of these cords in my sleds. I also put some amazing goop on the figure 8 in the handle to keep the knot together.
0297bd82677e23e463936908d63cc894.jpg

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
Put a washer under the knot.
The knot isn't pulling through the hole in the handle, it just comes undone when the tail pulls through the knot. I had it written incorrectly above.

Premium Features