• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'05 rev 800 151 or '06 rev 800 144

B
Apr 6, 2012
hey, everybody, I'm new to this site, as i haven't owned a sled for waaayy too close to a decade. Just sold my dirtbike tho, and am using that money to buy a used mountain sled. My choices have come down to an '05 Rev 800 Summit X with a 151, or an '06 Summit X with a 144. The '05 only has a little over 2000 kms, whereas the '06 has 5500. What do you think? I'm really leaning toward the '05 cuz of the mileage, but is there a big difference in the chassis? My last sled was a '99 RMK 700. I'm most interested in something that will be fun to ride, and can be made to handle well. I did also look at a couple M7's. Any opinions would be welcome. Oh, as for riding style, more of a boondocker than a full on hillclimber. Thanks

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I'd get the 05, especially if it's cheaper or the close to the same price.

Not a whole lot of chassis differences (the 06 has better running boards).

The biggest difference is going to be in the motor. You'll want to at least check the pistons/rings on the 05 and make sure the rings aren't flaking or falling apart. If they are, replace them....immediately. Other than that they're pretty much the same sled....and if they aren't someone will correct me shortly I'm sure ;) But the 06 motors got an important ring update that the 05 won't have. Not a big deal to check, just kind of annoying.
Check the compression on the 05 if you can and that will tell you a lot regarding the piston condition.

Other than that the difference in mileage is significant enough that engine aside, one has a lot more wear and tear on everything else. The 06 was pretty much the most dialed year out of the box but the longer track is nice and the 05 should just be a lot less beat up in general.

Just my 2c

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
The 06X should have the 800R motor in it. Personally, I'd go with the 06. You can probably get a better deal on it and there are lots of goodies to build that 06 into a sweet boondocker. Make sure the 06 has the updated case though.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
No the 06 will NOT have the 800R, that was not till 07. It would be the P-tek 800HO

06 was known for being one of ( if not the ) best skidoo's ever built. That being said for the money I'd go with the 05 for mileage and track length.

I thought only the 04's suffered from the ring flake issue?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Oh yeah........opinions on an 05 or 06 rev aside.......I'd still look at AC M-sleds for more boondocking. Missed that part of your post earlier.

Selling my rev and getting an m8 is the best thing I ever did. I could give a rat's behind about hill climbs and do more boondocking that anything. I'm not a big guy and throwing my rev around in the trees just left me beat compared to the same kind of day on the cat.

Both are sick sleds, I don't think you could go wrong with either but after making the switch, I'm glad I did.

B
Apr 6, 2012
Thanks for ur input, fellas. I would probably have considered arctic cat more seriously if i could have found an m8 in my price range. I'm picking up the '05 tomorrow, so let's hope we get our annual may long wkd snowfall!!

Premium Features