• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'01 Polaris RMK 700 136" with 3" paddles, big enough for Colorado powder??

P
Nov 30, 2016
Hi there,

New to the forum, and new to Snowmobiling in general. I found a great deal on a '01 Polaris RMK 700 136" track with 3" paddles, and 4400 miles. This is will be my first sled, and I am looking for advice as to how that will hold up riding in Colorado. I've had people tell me all kinds of differing opinions on track length when it comes to being able to hang in the deep pow. I would realistically be doing 50% of riding on trails and 50% off trail. I really just want a sled that can do a little bit of everything decently well. I would appreciate any input from the community as to if this would be a good first sled for riding in Colorado, and what the limitations on it would be compared to another sled.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
There's no way it's got 3" paddles. Two inches is the most you can get with a 136".

As far as handling Colorado snow, it depends on whom you're riding with. If you ride alone or you're buddies have similar sleds, you'll be fine. But, if they have longer track sleds, you'll be "that guy...".

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
I had an old RMK 700 136" with 2 inch paddles and was in stuck city. I don't think another inch in paddle length will be much of a difference.

You may have luck in riding trails and finding small fields to play around in so you don't have to drag your sled too far if you get stuck and trench it.

My first ride on my first sled, a 136" had me spending 1/2 my time digging when I strayed too close to the edge of a groomed trail and sank my sled.

If you can swing it, a 144" or 155" 700 sled would be a good option. The IQ 700 (Dragon/RMK) I own handles trails better than a Pro Chassis and has enough track to play in the powder though not as nimble as a Pro or Axys.

BTW, you can get in trouble on trails too! Can't tell you how many times a storm would blow in and dump a foot in very short time turn a groomed trail into a challenge for short tracked sleds.

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
what kind of good deal is this guy offering? 500-1000$ is all id pay for it, heck I just bought an 01 700 153 modded for 500.

if this guys wanting more than a grand you can find better for that price is what I'm trying to say

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I remember back in the day running a 136 2 inch sitting at the bottom of a long steep loop we wanted to go on. It had snowed almost 3 feet in 2 days and no one had gone on it, sweet untracked beautiful powder and no one in our group wanted to hit it because everyone knew it was going to be one big stuckfest. Now we fight each other for the chance to lead and the deeper the better:) Wouldn't even consider any sled below the 150's. Sure you can "get around" on a shorter track, but if you want to actually get out and ride when it gets any amount of deep you're going want something much longer than a 136.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
What is amazing is that a 136" track with 2 inch paddles was considered a "mountain sled" back in the late 90's.

Another thing is these old sleds weigh a ton and felt way heavier than my Pro 155" sled.

Please save your $$ and buy the best sled up front. I was uninformed and thought the two 136" RMK sleds I bought as our first sleds were everything the seller said they woudl be; they weren't.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Ask BC SnoX, he knows everything about short tracks in Colorado.

Don't think anyone makes three inch paddles under a 154" ish length and they are only going to be in a 3" pitch.
Except the OEM tracks that are 2.86 pitch.

You won't have a chance at fitting those drivers and 3" paddles inside that bulkhead without a serious drop and roll to the chaincase.

You've probably got a 2" paddle if it's bone stock.
But then just maybe, you have just 1 3/4" paddles (I know for a fact the 136" stocker the year before in 2000 was only 1 3/4"paddles)

Last edited:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Maybe it will become the new fad, 136 tracks, low bars, no mt. bar, low seats and triples are everywhere. Let's all travel back in time to the late 90's:nono:

P
Nov 30, 2016
The seller is asking for $1000, I just can't find anything in my area for a longer track without spending closer to $3000. As this is my first sled, I'm really trying to keep the cost down until I'm more experienced and can justify a more expensive machine.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
The seller is asking for $1000, I just can't find anything in my area for a longer track without spending closer to $3000. As this is my first sled, I'm really trying to keep the cost down until I'm more experienced and can justify a more expensive machine.

Thats too much for that sled. If it were low mile and perfect maybe. Unless the guy personally cut and reglued/stitched the track he's either lying or ignorant of the paddle height. I rode a 136" polaris wedge my first season. I was totally "that guy". Even my friends 600cc 144 was a huge difference. I have a 2003 RMK 800 151" for sale just over the border in Laramie and am trying to get just a little more than the sled you're looking at. An Edge is about as old of a sled I ever recommend people to try, they can be ridden with modern techniques and are fairly capable. Its listed in the classifieds of this site if you're interested. I would get on as modern a chassis as you can afford though. IQ, REV, M, would all be better, though more expensive.

Side note: an edge chassis with 7t drivers, 5/8" chaincase drop, and front cooler delete has more room than an XP chassis for 3".

P
Nov 30, 2016
Man, am I glad I joined this forum! What a great community with such quick responses. I would love to check out your 2003 RMK 800 151, I'll PM you about it. I really don't want to be "that guy" so I guess I'll continue searching for a more capable machine.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Well, you'll be that guy for a while anyway if you're riding with decent riders and you're not experienced yet, whether it's a 136 or 151.
I'm past that stage now, but early 2000s a buddy had a rmk700. 136. Piped, heads etc and it went most everywhere the rest of us did but he rode the he!! Out of it.
Back then the stable was a 151 rmk800, 136 rmk 700 and a ZR500 121x2" paddles.
Keeper pinned on the smaller tracks.
If it's in great shape, guys telling you that $800-1000 is too much are full of crap. Any running pos is worth $4-500. Old, good shape liquid cooled, paddle track sleds. $1000 to 1500. Revs or older M sleds, $1500-2500.
Heck I could get over $1000 for my kids 2000 144 Rmk 550 right now.

That said, if a grand is your budget it may be a good machine. For $2k or so you could find very serviceable M6/7 or Summit Revs.
My opinion, for a cheap powder sled that will hang with newer machines, look for M7 153/162. Find one that is relatively stock but has the right mods/fixes/clutching and it'll tear up some CO pow. And you got a better chance of looking like burant, not hanging off the side of one of them old tubs like a gen2 Polaris.
I'd take a first gen M sled chassis wise over everything up to the Pro, XM or new Ms.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Well, you'll be that guy for a while anyway if you're riding with decent riders and you're not experienced yet, whether it's a 136 or 151.
I'm past that stage now, but early 2000s a buddy had a rmk700. 136. Piped, heads etc and it went most everywhere the rest of us did but he rode the he!! Out of it.
Back then the stable was a 151 rmk800, 136 rmk 700 and a ZR500 121x2" paddles.
Keeper pinned on the smaller tracks.
If it's in great shape, guys telling you that $800-1000 is too much are full of crap. Any running pos is worth $4-500. Old, good shape liquid cooled, paddle track sleds. $1000 to 1500. Revs or older M sleds, $1500-2500.
Heck I could get over $1000 for my kids 2000 144 Rmk 550 right now.

That said, if a grand is your budget it may be a good machine. For $2k or so you could find very serviceable M6/7 or Summit Revs.
My opinion, for a cheap powder sled that will hang with newer machines, look for M7 153/162. Find one that is relatively stock but has the right mods/fixes/clutching and it'll tear up some CO pow. And you got a better chance of looking like burant, not hanging off the side of one of them old tubs like a gen2 Polaris.
I'd take a first gen M sled chassis wise over everything up to the Pro, XM or new Ms.

Excellent advice.

My first sled was an 01 Edge with a 136x2 and while I got by, it was NO match for the M7/162 I replaced it with. Don't sell yourself short on getting a beater until you're a good rider. The right sled will help you out a lot as a new rider.

Premium Features