• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

17 RMK Pro mods

DBarnes

Premium Member
Apr 1, 2022
Thomasville, Colorado
I've got a 17 RMK Pro with 650 miles on it. I don't have the money to buy a new sled but I've got some money and would like to make my sled better. Just wondering what recommendations the community might have on what would be good. I'm in CO riding between 8000-12000 ft. I'm never on catted trails, it's all boondocking. Kurt's gear down kit is on the list but outside of that I wouldn't know what's best for upgrading and in what order. Any suggestions with the benefit to the mod would be rad!

P
Apr 5, 2019
La pine, Or
P
Apr 5, 2019
La pine, Or
I have an 18’ with front fox shocks and it’s night and difference to my wife’s stock Walker evans on her 18’ but they are $$$ and I got them used on here.

I also did the free tunnel cut kit and it’s also a world of difference in handling. Got 3” of the rear of tunnel free without cutting into the cooler. Would be more playful if I removed sno flap but didn’t want to roost everyone on the trail in.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Assuming clutching is set for your elevation and in good condition... best simple mods in order
1.belt deflection (really a set up / maintenance item but oft overlooked)
2. 36" high clearance front end
3. Gear down - 13-15 pro qd pulleys is a cheap option
4. Tunnel cut - cheap upgrade if you can tig or know someone who can - easy to do your own prep
5. Shocks - watch for low hr or new take offs for best value

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

DBarnes

Premium Member
Apr 1, 2022
Thomasville, Colorado
Thanks @Pine Rob and @couch . Kurts gear down kit is on the way.

The clutch was setup specifically for 10-12k since I bought the sled new and the steamboat powersports guys asked before they built it what ele I'm riding at normally. Is there much performance upgrade in your guys opinion by going to like a bike man performance 2 stage mountain clutch over the stock? I'm not traveling to sled, I'm riding the same elevations in CO no matter where I'm at basically.

I've got the narrowed ski width already due to blowing up a ski on a rock last year and going with aftermarket a arms.

I've heard about the tunnel cut and thought about doing it. You guys sound like everyone else in saying that it's worth doing.
Do you guys think going with a kit to cut into the cooler and take more off is worth the difference then just taking off the 3" available without messing with the cooler?

I've looked into shocks, they're so damn expensive. I'm not doing any trail riding and the place I ride past my house is off the beaten path and doesn't get much traffic or wooped out. Does that make shocks a little less critical or when boondocking the upgraded shocks is a night and day difference as well?

Thanks for all the beta!

C
Nov 29, 2008
Did 4 tunnel cuts and added used BRP coolers - loads more cooling for slight weight penalty. $100 per cooler + $100 for wielding per sled (not yet proficient enough at thin Al tig myself). Coolant now passes through tunnel cooler then into stock tubes in the tunnel.

Tunnel cut is well worth the small amount of $$.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
Clutching and a tunnel cut are two huge improvements. If you think you may turbo then hold off on the clutching because you would have to change it when you add boost. I cut 8” off mine and I wish I would have done it sooner. The Walker Evans mono tubes work great with a good re-valve, TRS does a great job and are affordable. Boondocker agility vents work good to prevent powder bog and they are affordable.

D
Nov 3, 2019
www.banditsolutions.ca
Thanks @Pine Rob and @couch . Kurts gear down kit is on the way.

The clutch was setup specifically for 10-12k since I bought the sled new and the steamboat powersports guys asked before they built it what ele I'm riding at normally. Is there much performance upgrade in your guys opinion by going to like a bike man performance 2 stage mountain clutch over the stock? I'm not traveling to sled, I'm riding the same elevations in CO no matter where I'm at basically.

I've got the narrowed ski width already due to blowing up a ski on a rock last year and going with aftermarket a arms.

I've heard about the tunnel cut and thought about doing it. You guys sound like everyone else in saying that it's worth doing.
Do you guys think going with a kit to cut into the cooler and take more off is worth the difference then just taking off the 3" available without messing with the cooler?

I've looked into shocks, they're so damn expensive. I'm not doing any trail riding and the place I ride past my house is off the beaten path and doesn't get much traffic or wooped out. Does that make shocks a little less critical or when boondocking the upgraded shocks is a night and day difference as well?

Thanks for all the beta!
Best upgrade I did to my 18 was shocks. I am a Mtn rider. But the trail in/out, EVEN when groomed. I could never sit down. 2 blown disks in my lower back. But once I got the Fox IQS (Same as QS3, just push button control) I sit down in all but the roughest chit. AND, the Mtn performance so much better. DEEP days, ya not gona notice. But crossing old tracks, Lower snow, harder snow, Thats where they shine. Where they need to.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
On my '18 the 36" ski stance was the best upgrade I did - and an SLP pipe with a muffpot 'cuz I like hot lunch! LOL
Never got around to cutting the tunnel but I'll bet that is a huge improvement! I know I love it on my Matryx

Premium Features